Alternate 5x5 Roto Stat Categories - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Alternate 5x5 Roto Stat Categories

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alternate 5x5 Roto Stat Categories

Postby mojo7777 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:16 am

Ok so I setup a 12 team H2H 5x5 most categories league. Initially I adjusted it from the standard 5x5 by subbing AVG for OPS. I really not a fan of how there is no tangible benefit when a player has an extra base hit that is not a HR and how your top players will be pitched around and pick up some 100+ walks with no benefit either. That and in a H2H matchup the difference between having a .300 week and a .280 is 4 hits and is really not indicative of how well a team has hit.

Well we drafted and of course now half of the league is complaining and I'm trying to come up with a compromise. I really don't want to change it to the standard since most teams went into the draft picking their players based on the rules that were established. The compromise I came up with was breaking up the OPS stat to OBP and SLG% and adding a K/BB as the 6th pitching stat. I did this since it covers every major batting category and really has little affect on someones draft strategy considering all of the stats it affects are one you were looking at when picking players. K/BB could be a killer for some people (me included) if you didn't pick up a high control pitcher like Halladay, Lee, or Haren. Does anyone have any experience with any leagues similar to this setup or any other input?

Batting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG
Pitching: Ks, Wins, Saves, ERA, WHIP, K/BB

Thanks.
mojo7777
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Alternate 5x5 Roto Stat Categories

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:22 am

Why is half the league complaining? They knew the scoring prior to the draft, right? That was the time to make suggestions, not now on Opening Weekend. What you ought to do is roll full steam ahead with the format you intended to, and people drafted for, and take suggestions on what people would rather next year. Anyway, that said...

One idea would be instead of having the ratios OBP and SLG, to use the counting numbers, H, BB, and TB. It might be an interesting spin. For pitching, you could include something like Quality Starts and K/9 instead of K/BB, so you don't devalue RP too much.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby jefferey13 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:22 am

I would just drop SLG and K/BB.

Extra base hits already are accounted for in runs and RBIs. I agree about walks not being counted and that is why I switched AVG to OBP. I don't think K/BB is necessary because you already have K/WHIP to account for that. And for those who pitch less innings where K/BB would make more of a difference, you have saves.

Just my 3 cents (obviously worth more than 2 haha!)

*EDIT* I posted this at the same time as bighort and agree no one should be complaining, unless you somehow changed the rules since the draft.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mojo7777 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:02 am

Apparently, there were some mixed signals somehow... 2 of us set up the league and established the rules. I set it up online, sent out all the invites, and set up the draft, he got all the players and collected the money (I hate dealing with that). Apparently certain people either ignored the rules when they were told them or were told the wrong rules and just signed up, some others were complaining about it during and post draft. I really can't understand why people are so adamant that Batting Average HAS to its own stat.

Using TB, BB, and H could work but it would create too many batting categories. And to be honest its tough to even find a 6th fantasy relevant pitching category. Also wouldn't K/BB increase the value to relievers?

I could just drop SLG and K/BB altogether. My main reason to keep them in there is that most of the league did draft based on OPS so it wouldn't have really changed any as far as draft strategy is concerned. Same with K/BB its more of just another variation of Ks and WHIP and is a better indicator of a pitchers efficiency than K/9
mojo7777
T-Ball Trainer

Postby bigmck » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:31 pm

If you change anything now, there will be bad feelings. Just go with what you originally had. It is all you can do.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Return to Commissioner's Corner