I suck at drafting...Where do I need the most help? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I suck at drafting...Where do I need the most help?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I suck at drafting...Where do I need the most help?

Postby coolarmadillo » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:01 pm

Man, I really suck at drafting. Every year I think I've got it figured out and every year I make some of the same mistakes and a whole lot of new ones. Here's this year's edition of my 5th to 9th place team:

12-team league
24 man rosters
5x5 + holds and slugging

Roster:
C: V. Martinez
1B: M. Sweeney
2B: A. Kennedy (J. Reyes when eligible and healthy)
3B: A. Ramirez
SS: A. Rodriguez
OF: M. Ordonez
OF: B. Abreu
OF: S. Green
Util: R. Klesko (J. Reyes at times if healthy until eligible at 2B)
Bench: J. Reyes
Bench: A. Sanchez
Bench: P. Konerko

SP: T. Hudson
SP: J. Santana
RP: T. Hoffman
RP: A. Benitez
P: B. Koch
P: D. Kolb
P: C. Bradford
Bench: R. Soriano (until healthy)
Bench: V. Padilla
Bench: O. Perez
Bench: A. Eaton
Bench: E. Jackson

Several places I could have done better. I probably took Santana too early (5th rd I think) and gambled on too many injury risks (Sweeney-who I took with Ortiz still on the board...what was I thinking?-Green, Klesko, and Hoffman-who I also took several rounds too high...changed my strategy at the last second and made a panicked pick with several other quality, safe options at closer available).

I originally thought I was really weak on power, especially for a league that counts slugging, but based on a lot of projections I've seen, if everyone stays healthy, I think I'm pretty solid in power. My only problem is that I could run away with steals if I could squeeze Sanchez into my lineup, but it would cost me 20-30 HRs that I desperately need. I've been trying to find more power at first or OF so I can play Sanchez more, but am having a hard time addressing other teams needs without creating new holes in my own lineup.

I'm pretty concerned about Eaton and Jackson (see posts in other forums...I could pick up Jerome Williams and/or Matt Riley) as well as Koch. He was a late-round pick up just for a few extra saves, but I know he'll lose his job and blow my ERA and WHIP through the roof. There just isn't much left out there that's good for 10 or 15 saves. Anyway, I'm sure this post is way too long, but I'd love some feedback if possible. I'll be rating some other teams while I wait.

Thanks,
Mike
coolarmadillo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team