4/6 Cheering, Venting, Spring Break & KY Luebke - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/6 Cheering, Venting, Spring Break & KY Luebke

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 4/6 Cheering, Venting, Spring Break & KY Luebke

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:24 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:Probably going to leave John Danks on the bench in Texas today. Hopefully my bats come alive though.

Yeah i would probably bench Danks in Texas. Better to be safe than sorry.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:36 am

Skin Blues wrote:Another note on last night's games: Johan Santana did well but fastball velocity was under 88 MPH. For a pitcher that relies so heavily on a fastball/changeup combination, that's not so promising. The change-up isn't likely to fool many people when they don't need to worry about catching up to his fastball.
All of the reports out of the Mets camp these past few months have said that Johan has been forced to 'reinvent' himself as a finesse pitcher, because he is never expected to fully regain that velocity (though he did dial it up a few times into the 90s yesterday). I don't think he will be as reliant on that speed differential between his fastball and change, and is looking to rely more on location and mixing in his breaking ball curve/slider (I think it's a slow slider), which he used a lot more in yesterday's start than I've ever seen before.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby wrveres » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:39 am

Today the Dodgers break out the rest of their pitching staff and show why they won't be competing for anything this year.

Go Padres!
Last edited by wrveres on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:42 am

wrveres wrote:Today the Dodgers break out the rest of their pitching staff and show why they won't be competing for any thing this year.

Go Padres!
I'll be tuning in so I can get a definitive answer on whether or not I've been pronouncing Luebke right... (Lube-key)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby footballisbetter.com » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:43 am

I'm going up against Weaver in 2 leagues today. :~(

I am interested to see Luebke go, since i have him in 2 out of 3 leagues.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:55 am

Skin Blues wrote:Another note on last night's games: Johan Santana did well but fastball velocity was under 88 MPH. For a pitcher that relies so heavily on a fastball/changeup combination, that's not so promising. The change-up isn't likely to fool many people when they don't need to worry about catching up to his fastball.

What was his changeup registering? The biggest factor is probably not how fast his fastball is, but rather how big is the split. I don't envision him being his former self, but even a fraction of his peak would make him an above average fantasy SP.

Also worth noting, most did not expect him to make it back for opening day. He is ahead of schedule a bit, and could still improve as he gets stronger. Here's hoping if your a Santana owner.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

Postby daullaz » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:07 am

bigh0rt wrote:Because of my new schedule and hours being at a Middle School this year instead of a High School, I won't be able to do these this season frequently; however, given that I'm enjoying my Spring Break right now, you're welcome wrs :-)

I knew they could hold you back and not let you through to the next grade with your classmates, but I didn't realize they were allowed to demote you to whatever grade they saw fit. The school system has gotten cray.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:11 am

daullaz wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Because of my new schedule and hours being at a Middle School this year instead of a High School, I won't be able to do these this season frequently; however, given that I'm enjoying my Spring Break right now, you're welcome wrs :-)

I knew they could hold you back and not let you through to the next grade with your classmates, but I didn't realize they were allowed to demote you to whatever grade they saw fit. The school system has gotten cray.

At least I get to do this now
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:19 am

GardnerRunsRampant wrote:

What was his changeup registering? The biggest factor is probably not how fast his fastball is, but rather how big is the split. I don't envision him being his former self, but even a fraction of his peak would make him an above average fantasy SP.

Also worth noting, most did not expect him to make it back for opening day. He is ahead of schedule a bit, and could still improve as he gets stronger. Here's hoping if your a Santana owner.

He's been out for 19 months, he's not ahead of schedule. And a 4 MPH drop in fastball velocity is a huge deal for a FB/CU pitcher. Maybe he can reinvent himself, but the fact he could throw low-mid 90s with a great changeup is what made him so good. Not the MPH split; anybody can do that. When he was at his best he wasn't using a slider very much and now he's going to have to rely on it. Even if he stays healthy I don't think he'll be that effective, but who knows really. He was dirt cheap for whoever has him so it's low risk, medium reward. Maybe he's been hiding a killer slider for all these years.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby wrveres » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 am

So I go to check my roster's via mobile this morning and I see this nice red flag, so of course I click it. It's a roster alert letting me know that 910 people bailed on Colby Rasmus yesterday. Lol.
Do I really need this information? Are people really gonna make roster decisions cus 910 other people have an itchy finger? I understand the whole sheep thing better than most, but really?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers