My comissioner is taking .... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

My comissioner is taking ....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My comissioner is taking ....

Postby dangadd » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:06 am

the mick.

I'm in a H2H league with friends. This year only 5 of us have returned. So the comissioner set up 2 teams (his own and a 'spare') so that there were an even number of teams.

The draft was offline. Determined by pre-draft rankings. He's since 'combined' the two rosters to make one elite team. I think he knew he would do this all along (one of the teams drafted pitchers only until round 9 and so ended up with all the elite pitchers).

I have voiced my displeasure and said that we can't compete with him. It's just going to be no fun. I have suggested reasonable routes out of the situation. These were returning to original rosters and then waiving all players from one team or even selecting best players from each roster as long as only one player taken from each round of the draft. He has made no suggestion that he will take one of these routes. In fact today he made another trade between the two teams.

The question is

What do I do now?

Thanks for advice,
dangadd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My comissioner is taking ....

Postby karmakgb » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:16 am

Your "commissioner" is a real piece of work. You playing with Bud Selig or something? Haha. Quit that league immediately. I'd do it one of two ways: Either drop every one of your players and write him a "love letter" on the league wall telling him to find some new players OR collude with the other 4 members to make a second "super-team" with all the players on your teams.

Seriously though, don't play with people like that. What's the point? Tell him to go play with himself... I mean, by himself.
karmakgb
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mkultra » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:55 am

Your league is done, sorry, there's no going back from that kind of thing once the season starts. Best to scrap and take your losses.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 40)

Postby bayoubeard » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Quit that league. That sounds like no fun at all.
bayoubeard
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby fast dogs » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:37 pm

by all means ask to be removed from the league and never look back. some friend
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 317)

Postby jefferey13 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Was there money on the line in league? If there is I would contact the other members and create one super elite team to ensure he looses.

If there is no money, just quit immediately and try to get as many other people to quit too so the league is completely ruined for him. Also since he's you know him personally, I would make sure and junk punch him.

Good news is that even though it is a little late, you can still get into another league.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:16 pm

If you know him personally, confront him in person. He's 100% in the wrong. I would leave the league immediately.

Though if only 5 of you returned, and there's a 'spare' team you're talking about a 6 team league. That's kind of absurd already. With 6 teams you're barely playing fantasy baseball. I would encourage those of your friends who are actually interested in fantasy baseball to recruit others, perhaps on this forum, and form a league that's at least 10 teams, preferably 12-16.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 66)

Postby karmakgb » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:16 am

I agree with almost everything the last poster said, except about 5 or 6 player leagues being absurd (5-6 teams would be ridiculous, for sure).

I'll direct you to my post in this thread viewtopic.php?t=443267

Basically the idea is you can have 6 players with two teams each and the winner is the one with the lowest AGGREGATE score. So a player with 2nd and 9th place (out of 12) teams would have a score of 11. We're trying it this year and it's pretty good so far, managing is just as important as before. Also, drafting was much more fun with a LOT less downtime.

Just a thought.
karmakgb
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby dangadd » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:49 am

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

To answer a few questions posed.

There is no money involved. It's purely for 'fun' which it was ceasing to be.

I know that with 5 active players the league was reasonably pointless. However, I am based in the UK and I know very few people who are in to baseball. Seemed like a good idea - to play with people I knew. Even though the league was a limited size.

I am in a couple of other leagues. One is based around a website of Uk based baseball fans - www.baseballfan.co.uk (hope you don't mind me mentioning it), it's a points based roto league with 3 divisions (i'm in division 3). The other is a H2H keeper league I joined via yahoo. It's got some weird scoring settings but looks quite interesting. It's a weekly roster which suits my lifestyle.

I sent the comissioner an email telling him that I would be leaving and asking him how he wanted me to leave the team. I have had no reply. I will update you all when I have one. Jeffrey - don't think I'll punch him just yet.
dangadd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dangadd » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:17 am

Update 2

Good News : Looks like I'm back in business with the small friends league. The comissioner has promised to restore the rosters to theri original settings and then he has another friend who will take over the second team. That should work ok. Still a bit sceptical but I can't lose anything, can I ?

Bad News : The H2H keeper is about to go the same way as the first league by the look of it. There are some questions on the messageboard about how there is no history of the league etc. It's a returning leage and I and a couple of others have replaced players who left. The comissioners team is stacked and another guy is asking awkward questions that the comissioner isn't responding to. I've got a feeling it's doomed.
dangadd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Commissioner's Corner