Yahoo's ridiculous Waiver system - what to do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Yahoo's ridiculous Waiver system - what to do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby OBPlover » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:30 pm

I am a commissioner of a $$$ league and a member of a few other leagues.

I noticed today, like everyone else, that Bailey went down. Of course I looked to see if Melancon was available myself. He was picked up at 1pm local time. Of course, most of us are working at that time and can't easily watch for Baseball news.

Shouldn't the team that lost Andrew Bailey get first crack and picking up Melancon? In another of my leagues, one team owner has already made 10 transactions and there are 8 allowed per week and unlimited moves for the year - which in my opinion kind of defeats the purpose of the original draft.

I'm just looking for answers. Is there a way to make the waiver system fairer? Or is simply first come, first serve and that's how it must be?
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 133)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RogerThat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:43 pm

Some leagues I play in our first cone first serve others use faab budgets where blind bidding every Sunday nets available players on Monday to the high bidder
No league ever gives preference to who lost a player , not how fantasy works
RogerThat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby RogerThat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Plus I should add what you are describing is a free agent pickup nothing to do with waiver wire
Guys on waivers can be handled differently
With preference to either least waiver claims or worst place in standings
RogerThat
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Yahoo's ridiculous Waiver system - what to do?

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:12 am

- I don't know of any enforced system anywhere that would give preferential treatment to the team that lost Bailey
- The assertion someone else made is correct: Melancon wasn't on waivers, he was a free agent, which is why he was available on a first-come-first-served basis to whoever got to him first
- We do not enforce max adds per week in the preseason. By now you're into week 1, so that manager is being held to the limit for adds since the season started, but adds made prior to the start of week 1 aren't counted against any limit.
- What you might want is something described here on the Cafe often, which we've come to call Continuous Waivers. In this world, all unowned players are always on waivers, with waivers clearing on fixed days of the week as chosen by the commissioner. The downside of such a system is that you can never necessarily add a player on short notice; you'll always have to wait until the next waiver clear date. The upside is that every player who is claimed is subject to waivers, and everyone gets a more fair shot at them. We (Yahoo!) don't currently support this mode. While I can't ever say what we'll release in the future, suffice it to say we definitely understand the interest in this feature, and it is high on the priority list. Very high :-)

Hope this helps.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby OBPlover » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:56 am

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to denounce Yahoo. In fact I love the Yahoo sports siie. It's fun, easy to use and well designed.

I just wish there was something better than a "first come, first serve" system. I have seen people pick up Free Agents, ONLY to block their competition from doing it. They had perfectly good substitutes of their own,

I think what I would do, at least in an auction league, Is give everyone, say 100 "Free Agent dollar"s. Anytime there's an attempted FA acquisition throughout the season, teams bid on that player. If you get a legitimate DL, as determined by Yahoo, then it adds, say, 20 Waiver dollars - so that a team with frequent injuries never loses the opportunity to replace them.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 133)

Postby mikekim2121 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:31 am

The "free agent dollars" setting is what most people describe as FAAB. If you want to prevent the first come, first serve situations, that's a good plan.

I don't think you should add money to people who lose players to DL because that allows people to take more risks with injury prone players. It should be at their own risk and should not be rewarded for that.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby RogerThat » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 am

Yeah giving faab for injuries would really mess up players values at the beginning of the year

Next year if you want to prevent owners from making excessive moves charge $.50 or $1.00 per move in addition to the initial per draft buy in
I play in leagues like that and it reduces the moves but also increases the pot for the top 3 teams considerably
Just make sure to play with owners you trust to pay at the end of the year or collect at the all star break at least for moves up until then
RogerThat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby edytwinky » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Is there no way to pick particular dates to process waiver requests on Yahoo or is it done automatically?
edytwinky
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:01 pm

edytwinky wrote:Is there no way to pick particular dates to process waiver requests on Yahoo or is it done automatically?

I have never used Yahoo, but with ESPN and CBS you can pick what day you want waivers to run. Yahoo is bound to be the same. You can't pick the time of day, but you can pick what days.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby Pochucker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:05 pm

No offense but it doesent sound like you are real "competive" type person. Whats wrong with picking up people to block others? Only rule we have now is if you pick someone up they must be on roster following scoring period. No picking up and dropping so they go back in waiver system again. Remember even in MLB teams file waiver claims to block others.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner