Any tips for creating a small league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Any tips for creating a small league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any tips for creating a small league

Postby dfa » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Hello:

I was trying to create a small fantasy baseball league...maybe between 4 and 6 players. Any idea on how to do this? There was some talk of limiting the player universe to a specific division, but I'm not sure if there is a website that allows this.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any tips for creating a small league

Postby jefferey13 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:51 pm

That is pretty small. You could limit it to AL or NL through ESPN. They allow that. I think the other sites do too. Also the deeper the rosters the better so you don't have top talent on the WW. 4 seems close to impossible, and 6 would still be really hard. 8 is as small as I have heard of. You should probably just join someone else's league.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 154)

Postby karmakgb » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:08 am

Just wanted to chime in with something that my league is attempting this year for the first time. In the past we've had 9-12 team leagues with 25-30 players each. That worked well enough but we only had 6 players locked in for the current system. The commissioner and I worked out a system which has 6 players managing 2 separate 30-player teams.

This allows for a large pool of players to be spread out, rather than having 6 super teams. Yes, we'll still have super teams but we've decided that winning the league is not getting 1st place, it's having the lowest aggregate place, counting both of a player's teams. For instance, I may come in 2nd and 7th places, giving me an aggregate score of 9. Someone who came in 1st and 9th would have a total score of 10. I would win, in that case (I fully intend to :D).

So far I'm quite enjoying it because I enjoy teams with large rosters and now I have 60 players to manage. I have a major league team and a minor league team (not literally) and they're both important to my success.

On a final note, I'll just add that our recent draft was easily the most fun I've ever had. Normally, 12 team snake drafts are characterized by interminable waiting followed by extreme frustration as all the players you intended to pick get taken right before you. I picked 2nd and 11th and never had to wait more than 9 picks before getting to make two selections in quick succession. I would recommend attempting something like this in a 5 or 6 person league.
karmakgb
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby dfa » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:38 am

Jeffrey and Karmac:

Thanks for taking the time! The league wound up getting to 8, so it's going to be an AL only league.

Thanks for the suggestions...karmac: that is especially interesting. Too bad you weren't around for the 1899 Cleveland Spiders!
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigmck » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:32 am

karmakgb wrote:Just wanted to chime in with something that my league is attempting this year for the first time. In the past we've had 9-12 team leagues with 25-30 players each. That worked well enough but we only had 6 players locked in for the current system. The commissioner and I worked out a system which has 6 players managing 2 separate 30-player teams.

That sounds interesting. What site did you draft from that allowed everyone to draft two teams. If it was ESPN, how did you do it?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby jefferey13 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Karmakgb- I had thought of the idea of having two teams but just figured one team would dump there guys into the other team, thus making it like one 60 man team. I like the aggregate idea. I may have to try that for a league.

Bigmck- maybe they have 2 accounts per person?
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 154)

Postby karmakgb » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:46 pm

bigmck - We are using Yahoo. I am only using one account, which actually makes it very easy to adjust rosters (we had no idea if it was actually going to work! Haha). Drafting was also easy using a single account, although it seemed like we might have problems at first. Just opened two windows in our internet browsers and *BAM* draft city! Also, we intend for this to be a keeper league. Man, do I love my team(s), despite Josh Johnson sucking it up tonight.

jefferery13 - Yeah, if it was just about coming in 1st place, it would be a pretty useless league. This way the fate of your "second" team is just as important as your first, which really makes quality managing the key to winning. So far, it's very fun! Everyone in the league can have at least one team that they can be proud of but it's how well they manage the other team that determines whether they come out on top or not.
karmakgb
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner