Votto a Red until AARP calls - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Votto a Red until AARP calls

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Votto a Red until AARP calls

Postby West » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:54 pm

kab21 wrote:This is a comparable contract except more money. How did that work out?

9 years/$141.5M (2003-11), plus 2012 club option
signed extension with xxxxxxx 3/01
03:$10.6M, 04:$11.6M, 05:$12.6M, 06-10:$16.6M/year, 11:$19.1M, 12:$23M club option ($4.6M buyout)

Helton had chronic back problems as well that severely limited his power later on. Not sure when this became known definitively but it wasn't so much age related as it was injury related. That said I would never want my team to lock up a player at that money when they are sure to experience a dropoff starting around 33 years old.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:43 pm

There must be some angle that I'm not understanding because I'm not in the business. We keep pointing to performance not equaling the money spent, but there must be some other aspect to these giant contracts that makes it a good deal to the teams or else why would they keep making them?
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:There must be some angle that I'm not understanding because I'm not in the business. We keep pointing to performance not equaling the money spent, but there must be some other aspect to these giant contracts that makes it a good deal to the teams or else why would they keep making them?

winning teams build a fan base. Letting star players go alienates fan bases. Fan do not care that it wasn't a good business decision to let Votto sign elsewhere and they feel betrayed. Then they stop going to games and stop watching on tv.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:19 pm

So the Reds would lose more money letting Votto sign elsewhere than they will signing him to a terrible contract... hopefully they start pitching well.

I guess this means bye-bye Brandon Phillips?
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Element » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:I guess this means bye-bye Brandon Phillips?

Especially with Billy Hamilton not too far away.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby Norby » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:10 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:winning teams build a fan base. Letting star players go alienates fan bases. Fan do not care that it wasn't a good business decision to let Votto sign elsewhere and they feel betrayed. Then they stop going to games and stop watching on tv.

So basically it just delays the alienation process then? They won't be doing much winning if all of their money is tied up with Votto. Whatever feel-good effect this deal has currently, it will soon fade to doom and gloom a couple of seasons from now. The only thing you can really do as a small market team is hope that all of your young prospects peak at the same time, allowing you to mix in the couple of all-star caliber players that you can afford. Sad thing for the Reds is that Jocketty has already started pillaging their farm system like he did to the Cardinals. I don't foresee this ending well for the Reds.
Norby
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:15 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
Sticky Spice wrote:There must be some angle that I'm not understanding because I'm not in the business. We keep pointing to performance not equaling the money spent, but there must be some other aspect to these giant contracts that makes it a good deal to the teams or else why would they keep making them?

winning teams build a fan base. Letting star players go alienates fan bases. Fan do not care that it wasn't a good business decision to let Votto sign elsewhere and they feel betrayed. Then they stop going to games and stop watching on tv.

I think in most markets if you win you will draw. Keeping star players has little to do with it IMO as long as you keep winning.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

I think in most markets if you win you will draw. Keeping star players has little to do with it IMO as long as you keep winning.

Agree, Tampa dumped Crawford but it didn't affect their popularity since they won regardless.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:41 pm

Yeah.. It's a great way to get the fans pissed off at you if you don't win, though.

Even the reds know they aren't winning anything without Votto. Thats potential revolt if they let Votto walk and they turn into an 70 win team.

You have to appear as though you are trying to win to keep your fan base. Especially to the casual fan that doesn't know much about baseball finances.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Tavish » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:20 pm

It is probably better off to think of it as the Reds paying Votto $30m/year for the first 6 years and $11m/year for the last 4 years, but just deferring the money over time. Barring injury he has a very good chance at worth every penny of the contract, just not distributed equally across the duration of the contract like the payout is.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers