Good SP Trade? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Good SP Trade? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Good SP Trade? WHIR

Postby joeyg2323 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:12 pm

mpieco wrote:Not sure why so many people said Sale. He won't come close to Niese's numbers. By the end of the year, Niese will be the Mets best fantasy pitcher, and more than likely a top 40 option. Sale, THIS YEAR, is not going to wow. He could eventually, but I wouldn't buy into the recent phenomenon of relief pitchers turned starter.

idk how anyone can say niese over sale. and especially being the best fantasy pitcher when santana is back? no one has a problem with wainwright but santana all of a sudden is a nobody pitcher.
niese has never had a sub 4 era going back to atleast 08 in the minors...
sale has been better then niese in ever aspect of the game.
sale was so good he was in the majors the same year he was drafted, how many players can say that?
and plus each pitcher will pitch in the division 11-13 times, yea i really want my guy facing the marlins,nationals, braves and phillies that much over the tigers,indians, royals, twins.

ive watched almost all of niese's starts and there is nothing special about him, he is an ok pitcher is k/9 may be above 7 but he will not get W or QS he will not help you in whip or era.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MrAccoe » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:31 pm

joeyg2323 wrote:idk how anyone can say niese over sale. and especially being the best fantasy pitcher when santana is back? no one has a problem with wainwright but santana all of a sudden is a nobody pitcher.
sale was so good he was in the majors the same year he was drafted, how many players can say that?
and plus each pitcher will pitch in the division 11-13 times, yea i really want my guy facing the marlins,nationals, braves and phillies that much over the tigers,indians, royals, twins.

ive watched almost all of niese's starts and there is nothing special about him, he is an ok pitcher is k/9 may be above 7 but he will not get W or QS he will not help you in whip or era.

First of all, Wainwright and Santana had totally different injuries. Tommy John is much easier to come back from then the shoulder surgery that Santana went through. Regardless of how "good" Sale was the year he was drafted, he was pitching in the bullpen that year. And in fact, he has yet to make a professional start in his career (regular season). He may end up having a better career or what not, I'd rather take the safer, more known pitcher in a much better pitcher's park.
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joeyg2323 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:49 pm

MrAccoe wrote:
joeyg2323 wrote:idk how anyone can say niese over sale. and especially being the best fantasy pitcher when santana is back? no one has a problem with wainwright but santana all of a sudden is a nobody pitcher.

First of all, Wainwright and Santana had totally different injuries. Tommy John is much easier to come back from then the shoulder surgery that Santana went through. Regardless of how "good" Sale was the year he was drafted, he was pitching in the bullpen that year. And in fact, he has yet to make a professional start in his career (regular season). He may end up having a better career or what not, I'd rather take the safer, more known pitcher in a much better pitcher's park.

ballparks are about the same dimensions, they moves the walls in citifield if you didnt no
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sigriffey » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:50 pm

So what is the general verdict ... if I am not really caught up in the keeper aspect, is Niese the better option? Or will Sale still pitch well enough to warrant a swap?
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby MrAccoe » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:57 pm

joeyg2323 wrote:
MrAccoe wrote:

ballparks are about the same dimensions, they moves the walls in citifield if you didnt no

There is more to a ballpark than just the dimensions. The dimensions at Citifield are actually shorter than Rangers Ballpark if you didn't know.
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joeyg2323 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:06 pm

MrAccoe wrote:
joeyg2323 wrote:
MrAccoe wrote:

There is more to a ballpark than just the dimensions. The dimensions at Citifield are actually shorter than Rangers Ballpark if you didn't know.

you need to look up things be4 you say them there isnt one spot in citifield new or old that is shorter then the rangers ballpark.

http://www.baseball-statistics.com/Ball ... /index.htm

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... BA&dur=367
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MrAccoe » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:26 pm

Rangers Ballpark is bigger in Left-Center (388-385), Right-Center (381-378), but regardless of the actual dimensions, there is only a difference of maybe 1-2% across the field.

It still doesn't detract from my original point though as the ball park dimensions don't have that much of an effect on runs scored in that particular ballpark. Just take a look at this list and you will see the difference in the run factors for each ballpark.

To my original point though, US Cellular is more in the middle of the pack and Citifield has played towards the bottom and I don't expect that to change much even after they move the fences in.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/year/2011
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions