Lock for the Championship? WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Lock for the Championship? WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Lock for the Championship? WHIR!

Postby aerrico » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:20 am

Joe Nathan for David Freese is a TERRIBLE deal for you. Do not take that offer.

You should almost never take a closer for an everyday, starting position player.

When you consider Nathan's age, strikeout rate, and the fact that the Texans bullpen is loaded with guys that can do the job if he falters, this does not even come close to worth it for Freese.... and that's coming from someone that's not all that high on him.
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby northjersey78 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:54 pm

aerrico wrote:Joe Nathan for David Freese is a TERRIBLE deal for you. Do not take that offer.

You should almost never take a closer for an everyday, starting position player.

When you consider Nathan's age, strikeout rate, and the fact that the Texans bullpen is loaded with guys that can do the job if he falters, this does not even come close to worth it for Freese.... and that's coming from someone that's not all that high on him.

Yes, I know I already rejed the deal. Trying to gauge the trade value of closers is tough - closers pop in and out and whoever happens to be near the computer scores. I have another guy trying to package Scott Downs and Adam Dunn for Joe Mauer...NOPE!

The guy with Nathan appears to be punting saves as he only has 1 closer on the roster. I am trying to work a deal somehow where I am not unloading an everyday player.

Any ideas?
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby aerrico » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:03 pm

I wouldn't necessarily design a trade to "go after" a closer.. I think the best way to trade for a closer is to propose a deal where you are giving up 2 players (lets say two bats for this example) and you are taking back one solid bat and then a closer as a throw in. Something like a combination of two players out of Freese, Trumbo, and Aviles to acquire a higher end 3B or MI and then have a closer thrown into the deal to make it more equal

I personally wouldn't trade for a closer because I think you can chase saves on the FA wire, but if you were to trade to try to get a closer, definitely try to get a slight improvement in offense as well. Never lose offense strictly for "saves" value, because as we've seen this year, there are very few closers that are safe from replacement or injury.
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Previous

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team