Final bench spot....hitter or pitcher?[AWHIR] - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Final bench spot....hitter or pitcher?[AWHIR]

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Final bench spot....hitter or pitcher?[AWHIR]

Postby TruYankeeFan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:06 pm

So...tell me if I have this right in theory....

On a good week where I have Kersaw, Hamels and Shields starting and not blowing up...I might leave the other guys on the bench in an attempt to kill 3/4 of the 5 categories...

But in off weeks, with one or maybe none of these 3 (or one or more of my Aces do blow up)... I might want to swap starters in and out daily (as possible) to try and just pile up the IP and Ks in order to guarantee those two categories?

Thanks ;-D
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MrAccoe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:23 pm

TruYankeeFan wrote:So...tell me if I have this right in theory....

On a good week where I have Kersaw, Hamels and Shields starting and not blowing up...I might leave the other guys on the bench in an attempt to kill 3/4 of the 5 categories...

But in off weeks, with one or maybe none of these 3 (or one or more of my Aces do blow up)... I might want to swap starters in and out daily (as possible) to try and just pile up the IP and Ks in order to guarantee those two categories?

Thanks ;-D

In theory, this might work if your guys are going early in the week but I wouldn't employ this if they are one start pitchers with their only start coming on Friday or something like that.

My thinking is that you go for all 5 every week because you can. There's always good streaming options every week (any Padres pitcher at home, A's pitcher at home, etc...) that you could fill out your pitching staff with guys that won't kill your ERA and WHIP. You don't have to aim for a 1.00era and 1.00 whip every week because that's nearly impossible. As long as you don't have a transactions cap, I would definitely stream starters every week. Hughes and Floyd are definitely replaceable on a week to week basis. Keep your 3 main guys and use the 3 other spots for good 2 start-pitchers or to stream daily.
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TruYankeeFan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:33 pm

OK...I was not viewing this right at all...I only have 2 SP and 2 RP starting spots....the rest are non-scoring...I did not think of this possibility

I can swap my players out daily (I believe with no limit or restrictions) ... and can make up to 6 transactions a week.

So you are saying that I should stock pile SP so I can swap them out daily (as available)...and just have my best two RP going...and just run up IP and K unless I have a brilliant early start to the week.
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MrAccoe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:41 pm

So you're saying you only have 2 SP and 2 RP spots total? Brett Myers is good in that situation as you can put him in a SP spot when you don't have any starting pitchers for the day. If you can't have more than 2 per day, then what you might want to do is try to fill out your week as much as possible with daily pickups (depending on the schedule of your 3 solid guys).

If you have a brilliant start of the week, then yes you should maybe limit the amount of moves the rest of the week, but if it's rough early on, you might as well just aim for K's and IP... and if you make the right moves, you should be in the running for era and whip as well.
MrAccoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TruYankeeFan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:03 pm

MrAccoe wrote: Brett Myers is good in that situation as you can put him in a SP spot when you don't have any starting pitchers for the day.

Clever...again...did not think about this...His value just went up! LOL
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sigriffey » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:25 pm

I'd go with Niese or Volquez. The bats are sort of meh. Volquez is so up and down but might be a solid Petco play.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby TruYankeeFan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:53 pm

ok....so I am sold.

I picked up Niese in the spot freed up by Carpenter going on the DL...and dropped Soriano for Volquez.

I am hoping Carpenter is back in May and still makes 20 or so starts...and by then I am sure the decision of which pitcher is going will have already been made by then.

Thanks guys. ;-D
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:56 pm

I think Soriano has a good year.

KJ/Hughes/Floyd were droppable
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby TruYankeeFan » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:20 pm

HOOTIE wrote:I think Soriano has a good year.

KJ/Hughes/Floyd were droppable

Could be...but I just could not buy in. I have never been a huge fan of Soriano's antics going all the way back to he early days as a Yank ... He should have been so much better but just relied on talent and never really worked at it...and he has been on a clear decline every year for like 4 years now?

Plus he was my 6th OF (yeah Crawford is on DL..but he will be playing in a month or so).

I think I would rather wait and grab a guy like LaHair who should hit cleanup for the cubs or Scutaro who I think we could see a decent resurgence on from getting FT play and being in Coors, or even a young guy like JD Martinez should put up comperable #'s

I am sure you have read my diatribes on Hughes enough by now...lol. But I really think he will be the yanks legit #2 by the end of the year.

KJ I want to see what he does...I expect his #s to be as good or better than Sorianos...and most of my research seems to back up that his fantasy value should be higher even if he only plays to projections (which I think are low)

Floyd I am iffy on...but I have read some good reports on him...so thought it worth the gamble.
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions