David Freese - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Freese

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Freese

Postby rotoquest » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:48 pm

Many people are hoping Freese can parlay his solid postseason from last year into a full season of stats in 2012. On paper, it seems like this guy can really hit, but he is going really late in drafts. Does this guy have a chance to be a real steal this year at 3B hitting cleanup for the Cardinals, or should he just be avoided?
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Freese

Postby ayebatter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:35 pm

At this point I don't see how you can project him to have more than 400 at bats, so what could expect maybe 10/50/50/.285, I've avoided having to make the decision by picking someone to man 3rd by the 6th round at the latest.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Metropolitans » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:18 pm

in 400 ABs, only 10/50/50/.285.... really???? where exactly are u pulling these numbers from? in 333 ABs lastyr, he had 10/55/41/.297... first, he owns a career .298 BA over 600+ ABs, secondly, he was off to a good start lastyr before getting injured and he turns 28 thisyr so his power prime is NOW and he should definitely improve with added confidence and with his power developing.... thirdly, hell be batting in the heart of that lineup and should get more than 400 ABs with good health.... in 500 ABs, i could see him amassing a 23/90/80/.290 type of line, give or take... im thinking a poor mans Evan Longoria... notice i said POOR MAN's so dont freakout thinking i compared the two
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:51 pm

I ended up with him in my main league where I made 2B, 3B, and SS a very low priority. I'm cautiously optimistic that he can make good on some of his upside, but if he doesn't get off to a quick start, I'll be looking at other options pretty early. He's definitely a good guy to get a 3B if you're one of the last to grab one, one of the few players with upside. I like him just a bit better than Edwin Encarnacion for example, depending on your team needs.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby rotoquest » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:35 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:I ended up with him in my main league where I made 2B, 3B, and SS a very low priority. I'm cautiously optimistic that he can make good on some of his upside, but if he doesn't get off to a quick start, I'll be looking at other options pretty early. He's definitely a good guy to get a 3B if you're one of the last to grab one, one of the few players with upside. I like him just a bit better than Edwin Encarnacion for example, depending on your team needs.

I had a similar situation with 2B & 3B in a 5 outfield league. I decided to go 5 outfielders in first 10 picks, and picked up encarnacion late. Freese was still there in the 18th round, so I picked him up instead. Along with some glue, tape, needle & thread--just in case. :-D
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Freese already off to a good start with a hit and a couple RBI in his first AB of the young season ;-D

Yeah, I have both Freese and EE in one league. Hopefully one will stick. In either case that's about the quality of guy where you pick two and hope for one good one. Can't count on either player, but might strike it rich.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:01 pm

To be fair Freese only hit one ball well the entire night. A weak ball pounded into the ground for an infield single and a little bloop single that he was fooled on. Freese is really hard to project so I avoided him but there is certainly upside in there. His contact rates are good enough that he won't have a cruddy AVG and he is batting 5th in a good lineup, hard for him to totally tank.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jackie hayes » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:04 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:Freese already off to a good start with a hit and a couple RBI in his first AB of the young season ;-D

Yeah, I have both Freese and EE in one league. Hopefully one will stick. In either case that's about the quality of guy where you pick two and hope for one good one. Can't count on either player, but might strike it rich.

Agree with this. Nice hitter, you just have to have a backup plan. Another way of doing it is to use him on a team where you're planning to move Miggy or Hanley to 3b when they become eligible. When that happens, he's a worst a decent bench option/trade chip...if still healthy...
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby rotoquest » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:24 pm

This guy Freese is serving notice 2011 post season was no fluke: He Can Hit!
Me likey David, keep it going. ;-D
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby m16a » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:39 pm

rotoquest wrote:This guy Freese is serving notice 2011 post season was no fluke: He Can Hit!
Me likey David, keep it going. ;-D

I'll play the hot hand until I see otherwise. I like what I'm getting two games in. ;-D
m16a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterFootball Mod
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers