Alexi Ogando - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alexi Ogando

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alexi Ogando

Postby Sticky Spice » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:57 pm

In my deep league, it's generally beneficial to have all active pitching slots filled with starters or closers. But I really like Ogando. What's your educated guess - do you think he will get a bunch of starts as a fill-in or perhaps even replacing someone, will he languish in fantasy boredom as a long reliever?
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Alexi Ogando

Postby Cream » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:27 pm

I'm keeping him in a few leagues thinking that he'll be the first called upon in the event of an injury. For roto he won't hurt your ratios and could be a big addition if he does work his way into the rotation.
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby ayebatter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:14 pm

I was all over Ogando early when it seemed he could get 150-160 innings, but now without a sure spot in the rotation, I think he'll be a nice 100 inning arm, if you could use 100/75/8/3.25/1.17 then by all means..... ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1364)

Postby Maris09 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:42 am

Doesn't seem like Ogando (last year) or Feliz can throw enough innings to make it all year as a starter. Maybe they flip flop sometime during the year. Feliz starts off as a starter and ends the year in the bullpen, and Ogando visa versa. Not likely I guess, but just a thought.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:19 am

Maris09 wrote:Doesn't seem like Ogando (last year) or Feliz can throw enough innings to make it all year as a starter. Maybe they flip flop sometime during the year. Feliz starts off as a starter and ends the year in the bullpen, and Ogando visa versa. Not likely I guess, but just a thought.
Ogando may have tired as the year went on, but CJ Wilson didn't when they converted him. It's a case by case basis, and I don't know that we should assume Feliz won't be able to shoulder the load. Also, 169 innings is a solid amount of work for a guy transitioning. There's few guys who make it to that 200 mark we seem to expect from too many pitchers.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Maris09 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:41 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Doesn't seem like Ogando (last year) or Feliz can throw enough innings to make it all year as a starter. Maybe they flip flop sometime during the year. Feliz starts off as a starter and ends the year in the bullpen, and Ogando visa versa. Not likely I guess, but just a thought.
Ogando may have tired as the year went on, but CJ Wilson didn't when they converted him. It's a case by case basis, and I don't know that we should assume Feliz won't be able to shoulder the load. Also, 169 innings is a solid amount of work for a guy transitioning. There's few guys who make it to that 200 mark we seem to expect from too many pitchers.

I was in no way trying to diminish what Ogando did last year, he was fantastic and a pleasant surprise for sure. But if Texas had been able to somehow switch his role last year at the allstar break and move him to the pen for the 2nd half, I think we can all agree it would have probably worked out better.

As far as Feliz, I don't think anyone expects him to be effective through 170 innings or higher. It was kinda my point that we shouldn't expect 200 IP from either of these guys, and that a role switch mid way through the season could be the best idea. Obviously they'd have to stretch Ogando out down in the minors around the allstart break, so not sure that's something they'd want to do. But a total of 140 or so innings from each guy between the 5th starter spot and bullpen could be optimal for all involved.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby hot4tx » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:11 pm

I honestly think they will keep Ogando in the 'pen all or most of the year. If Feliz doesn't cut it or tires I think Scooter Feldman will take his place in the rotation. The Rangers seem like they don't trust Feliz's mentality or attitude as a late-round reliever, therefore they either waste him in middle relief or try to give his arm every opportunity to stick as a starter. I personally think Ogando would be the better 5th starter of the two, but he also has the attitude for a high-stress position reliever. Even if Nathan fails, I don't see Feliz moving back to the pen. In my opinion it would take Feliz and Nathan to both fail in order for that to happen. Who knows what happens next year, but for 2012 fantasy I think the Rangers decision really hurts Ogando's value in most mixed leagues. Of course you never really know what Wash will do. At some point in the season Ogando may close games or he may bat cleanup for the Rangers. :-D
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:33 pm

In my opinion they're making the same mistake they did with Feliz by putting such a great arm, that has had such success as a starter, in the bullpen. It makes no sense and for some reason nobody is calling them on it. So he got tired at the end of his first season as a starter... big deal. He wasn't even bad, he still had a 3:1 K:BB ratio in Aug/Sep. And then they pulled him from the rotation. And then Matt Harrison lost 2 World Series games. And he's gonna be losing games all year long while Ogando is pitching 1 inning at a time every few days. It just makes no sense.

As for fantasy value... pretty low. Even if there's an injury I don't know how likely they'd be to swing him back and forth between the bullpen and the rotation. He'll probably put up 65 IP with decent ratios and Ks. Standard middleman.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Return to Baseball Leftovers