Scott Baker to Official DL - but not Y! DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Baker to Official DL - but not Y! DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Scott Baker to Official DL - but not Y! DL

Postby GTW » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I've been following this and meaning to respond. There is also the fundamental assumption that you're viewing two web pages on the Internet, one says a guy is on the DL, the other doesn't, and you're assuming the one that says he is on the DL is correct. *Even when the one that says he is on the DL is the MLB web site*, that is not necessarily correct. As we get feedback like this all the time, we look into cases, and it is not at all uncommon that the MLB site says a guy is on the DL, and when we pursue and dig into it, the official answer is that the player is not on the DL. I can't remember the last time we looked into such a case and found that a guy was supposed to be on the DL and wasn't.

I'm not saying there has never been a bug or a delay, but I'm being as serious as I can when I say that when we get official notification that a player is on the DL, that is when we put him on the DL. It isn't based on anything we see or read anywhere on the web.

Thanks for checking in Genie.

Just to get this out of the way so I don't get anymore angry responses, I'm over the fact that Scott Baker wasn't on the DL the second he was officially placed there. I was being too harsh with my insistence that he immediately be put on the DL, but from that I think we've stumbled onto a flaw/misunderstanding that can easily be fixed.

I'm really just looking for some clarity to where Yahoo is getting their DL information and how it is executed. As I've mentioned in previous posts it's been confusing which source Yahoo uses. The link shown in the Yahoo help page seems to just be for quick fantasy information and would not be considered MLB's official DL/transactions list. This link http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/transactions/?tc ... &year=2012 appears to be much more official although I'm not sure it includes every transaction. For instance, Michael Pineda has not yet been placed on MLB's DL according to that link even though Yahoo said he was and already designated him DL eligible. Is that wrong and should I stop following that list? If a legitimate transaction list exists I'd appreciate a link to it.

As for having to wait for a player to be placed on Yahoo's DL, I'm perfectly fine with that as long as that is how it works for every player and they are placed on the DL in the order they are in real life. From the Y! Help page it looks like you've already addressed this issue.
GTW
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:07 am

So seeing that link in our help pages was a good piece of information for me. I didn't realize we gave that link, and I'm pretty sure that can be leading to more confusion, unless we clarify things on the help page.

I'll quintuple check, but I'm pretty certain the answer is that we get our DL information from an official feed that isn't necessarily exposed to the public anywhere by major league baseball. We get it through our provider, but I'm not convinced MLB exposes any web page that is the real source of truth.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:33 am

West wrote:I don't think that 10 hours is a long time to wait.

I must disagree.
In H2H leagues it is.
Even one minute is too long when all the other players are already on DL and yours are not.
When there are only handful of players left on waivers who have a real chance to make your roster after the DL players come back, so you can give them a tryout. Those players can become great assets.
I had some of those players over the years. Esteban Loaiza for one. But there are many others.

But now you don't have that opportunity, just because you can't place Andrew Bailey, Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Carl Crawford etc... on DL.
And you are robbed of the chance to aquire them for the price others had to pay. For nothing.
How that works out in money leagues?
I wouldn't wanna lose money cos I had no chance to aquire someone, cos I wasn't given the same opportunity others got.

Or when you need a starter to be able to reach min IP limit, and only 2 or 3 starters left on the waivers going to play on this short week.
And they are all picked up because others can put players on DL and you can't. And you lose all pitching cats cause you were not givin the same chance to compete.
And don't tell me you have to draft that way, when 3 of your starting pitchers you drafted hits the DL before the season starts.
Or drop a hitter when you hitting bench is short as it is, and the player you must drop won't survive waiver process and will be picked up for sure.
Especially in money leagues, where it really matters.

There would be one solution to this problem.
Yahoo! should not put players on DL prior to the Major League DL deadline.

But right now, this whole system sucks.
My 2 cents.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Official MLB deadline to place players on DL, was 5 PM.
Yet many players are still not on DL according to Yahoo!'s provider?
ESPN has all of them on DL.
Actually Utley and Howard were placed on DL yesterday according to MLB.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby West » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:But right now, this whole system sucks.
My 2 cents.

If you like ESPN so much, then you should only play their games. You should probably stick to reading AJ Mass' columns as well, they appear to be targeted towards you. Side note - see any guys from ESPN or CBS that come on here offering free customer assistance? Nope. Because none of them do.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:Official MLB deadline to place players on DL, was 5 PM.

Can you clarify what deadline you're talking about?

And when you say Utley and Howard were placed on the DL yesterday "according to MLB", what source are you referring to? Because again, if it is the mlb.com website, that data is not only unofficial, by now I'm quite certain that it is editorial in nature and reflects information that is NOT official.

To be clear, all our data still indicates that neither Utley or Howard are officially on the DL.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby natti » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:

And when you say Utley and Howard were placed on the DL yesterday "according to MLB", what source are you referring to? Because again, if it is the mlb website, that data is not only unofficial, by now I'm quite certain that it is editorial in nature and reflects information that is NOT official.

To be clear, all our data still indicates that neither Utley or Howard are officially on the DL.

will you please explain why bj upton's status has not been updated? he was placed on the dl today. thanks!
natti
T-Ball Trainer

Postby GTW » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 pm

And when you say Utley and Howard were placed on the DL yesterday "according to MLB", what source are you referring to? Because again, if it is the mlb.com website, that data is not only unofficial, by now I'm quite certain that it is editorial in nature and reflects information that is NOT official.

I have no idea where he's getting the idea of some kind of DL deadline, but this is what I found on Utley and Howard. http://mlb.mlb.com/team/transactions.js ... eam_id=143

I don't see how this would not be considered official. Could be wrong, but until there's a better resource I'll continue using MLB's transaction pages as my reference for potential DL candidates.

According to the Rays' transaction page, BJ Upton is not yet on the DL despite multiple reports that he was placed there today.
http://mlb.mlb.com/team/transactions.js ... eam_id=139
GTW
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby natti » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:57 pm

GTW wrote:

I have no idea where he's getting the idea of some kind of DL deadline, but this is what I found on Utley and Howard. http://mlb.mlb.com/team/transactions.js ... eam_id=143

I don't see how this would not be considered official. Could be wrong, but until there's a better resource I'll continue using MLB's transaction pages as my reference for potential DL candidates.

According to the Rays' transaction page, BJ Upton is not yet on the DL despite multiple reports that he was placed there today.
http://mlb.mlb.com/team/transactions.js ... eam_id=139

i believe that you are using the source that the yahoo employee discredited. however, there's a yahoo link which indicates that upton is indeed on the dl- http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=r ... ptonandson. will the yahoo employee please explain how that happened?
natti
T-Ball Trainer

Postby rascal7298 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:04 pm

clicking on utleys name in yahoo and you get this status: Utley (knee) has been placed on the 15-day DL retroactive to March 26.

Recommendation: There's no timetable for his return, but Utley is headed to Arizona to work with his physical therapist. The Phillies will open the season with Freddy Galvis playing second base.

Why isn't he on the DL?
rascal7298
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers