Scott Baker to Official DL - but not Y! DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Baker to Official DL - but not Y! DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Scott Baker to Official DL - but not Y! DL

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:58 pm

kab21 wrote:I always hate waiting for the DL to open up.

There are a lot of reasons for the inconsistencies though. I don't get bothered by it too much.

It's part of the game. It's that little touch of anarchy and randomness that keeps everything fresh.

Or at least that's what I tell myself while I wait endlessly to put multiple players on the DL. :-b
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bayside » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:51 pm

He has a point regarding the money leagues.

I wouldnt complain about a 10 hour lag, but I wouldnt be happy at all if i paid money to play (including a hefty ~30% fee) and guys who were not even on the official MLB DL were being put on Yahoo's DL before guys who actually are on the real DL. The bottom line is that Yahoo is responsible for accurate information, regardless of where they get it from. Even if it takes an extra half day or whatever, they should verify these transactions before letting them go live.

Its not like there are THAT many players hitting the DL every day. :-?
it should take one employee 10 minutes tops.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby West » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:49 pm

Eligibility for the DL (Disabled List)

Players will be made eligible for the DL position in Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball, as soon as possible, after they are placed there in real life. In most cases, this will occur the morning following the transaction. However, there may be a delay between the transaction and its application to the game.

Please note that in many cases, it will be announced that a player will start the season on the DL. This only indicates the club's intention to place him on the DL prior to the start of the season. Until the player is actually put on the official Major League Baseball DL, he cannot be placed into the DL position in Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Baseball.

Most actual transactions will not take place until that particular team's first game of the season. This means that the player will be given DL status following the nightly update after their team plays their first regular season game.

Checkout the MLB injury updates, so that you may track which players have been placed on the MLB DL.

All Public Leagues have one DL spot while Private League Commissioners can choose to have up to five (5) DL positions.

Players cannot be added directly from the Available Players list into the DL spot on your roster. They must first be added to your roster. If your roster is full, you will be prompted to drop a player.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/sports ... ll-15.html
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby GTW » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:38 pm

So according to the link they've provided (which I still don't believe is the official MLB transaction list) BJ Upton, Chipper Jones, Ted Lilly, Michael Morse and Drew Storen are some of the players who have already been placed on MLB's DL the past couple days and should shortly be placed on Yahoo's DL. I guess we'll just have to wait through Yahoo's "delay" before we can adjust our lineups.
GTW
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:07 pm

GTW wrote:So according to the link they've provided (which I still don't believe is the official MLB transaction list) BJ Upton, Chipper Jones, Ted Lilly, Michael Morse and Drew Storen are some of the players who have already been placed on MLB's DL the past couple days and should shortly be placed on Yahoo's DL. I guess we'll just have to wait through Yahoo's "delay" before we can adjust our lineups.
I'm not sure why you put delay in quotes, nor am I really certain why you're so miffed by this. I understand it was inconvenient for you, and FWIW, here is the actual MLB transaction list, courtesy of MLB.com -- I imagine Yahoo either uses it or something that pulls its information directly from it. Otherwise I'm not 100% sure what you're really griping about here. This happens the first week of every season, literally, because of exactly what was quoted there -- teams having the ability to wait until opening day to put guys on the DL officially, and being able to retro them back to the middle of March; so they can literally be put on the DL Opening Day and play in the 4th game of the season. You don't run into it during the season. Why? Because Yahoo's policy follows a pretty simplistic standardized rule -- then the player is officially placed on the DL, Yahoo puts them on their DL, usually the following day, after the game "resets" which typically happens, as I recall, about 3 - 4 am EST.

Baker was placed on the DL on March 31st, and on that link above, he's at the very top of the list, which I believe means he was the last (technically second to last) player to be placed on the DL that day, which means it was likely executed later in the day; and you were complaining that evening that he wasn't on Yahoo's DL yet. I have no idea when he got his DL status on Yahoo's game, but the fact that you haven't let this go is bizarre at this point, especially when it's literally no different on any of Yahoo's competitor's games. ESPN, CBS, etc. literally all do it the same way.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby West » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:27 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
GTW wrote:So according to the link they've provided (which I still don't believe is the official MLB transaction list) BJ Upton, Chipper Jones, Ted Lilly, Michael Morse and Drew Storen are some of the players who have already been placed on MLB's DL the past couple days and should shortly be placed on Yahoo's DL. I guess we'll just have to wait through Yahoo's "delay" before we can adjust our lineups.
I'm not sure why you put delay in quotes, nor am I really certain why you're so miffed by this. I understand it was inconvenient for you, and FWIW, here is the actual MLB transaction list, courtesy of MLB.com -- I imagine Yahoo either uses it or something that pulls its information directly from it. Otherwise I'm not 100% sure what you're really griping about here. This happens the first week of every season, literally, because of exactly what was quoted there -- teams having the ability to wait until opening day to put guys on the DL officially, and being able to retro them back to the middle of March; so they can literally be put on the DL Opening Day and play in the 4th game of the season. You don't run into it during the season. Why? Because Yahoo's policy follows a pretty simplistic standardized rule -- then the player is officially placed on the DL, Yahoo puts them on their DL, usually the following day, after the game "resets" which typically happens, as I recall, about 3 - 4 am EST.

Baker was placed on the DL on March 31st, and on that link above, he's at the very top of the list, which I believe means he was the last (technically second to last) player to be placed on the DL that day, which means it was likely executed later in the day; and you were complaining that evening that he wasn't on Yahoo's DL yet. I have no idea when he got his DL status on Yahoo's game, but the fact that you haven't let this go is bizarre at this point, especially when it's literally no different on any of Yahoo's competitor's games. ESPN, CBS, etc. literally all do it the same way.

Well put. Let's be clear here: this is a FREE service that everyone is doing all this bitching about.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:37 pm

I've been following this and meaning to respond. There is also the fundamental assumption that you're viewing two web pages on the Internet, one says a guy is on the DL, the other doesn't, and you're assuming the one that says he is on the DL is correct. *Even when the one that says he is on the DL is the MLB web site*, that is not necessarily correct. As we get feedback like this all the time, we look into cases, and it is not at all uncommon that the MLB site says a guy is on the DL, and when we pursue and dig into it, the official answer is that the player is not on the DL. I can't remember the last time we looked into such a case and found that a guy was supposed to be on the DL and wasn't.

I'm not saying there has never been a bug or a delay, but I'm being as serious as I can when I say that when we get official notification that a player is on the DL, that is when we put him on the DL. It isn't based on anything we see or read anywhere on the web.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Postby Tavish » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:25 pm

Yahoo would probably be better off linking directly to the transaction list instead of a MLB fantasy report page.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby West » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:10 pm

I think we're venturing into "nitpicky" territory here.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ichirosan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:39 pm

West wrote:It does stink but I'm pretty sure CBS and ESPN are no different.

I'm actually convinced ESPN's is a guy pressing buttons.

A few days ago, I managed to put B.J. Upton on my DL, and picked up a player. A few hours later, he was back in the dreaded DTD status, as apparently they jumped the gun.

Of course, it could be a third party service with a guy pressing buttons.
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers