Who's the "I should have seen that coming" guy this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's the "I should have seen that coming" guy this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Who's the

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:10 pm

jefferey13 wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
Ender wrote:
I agree he should be the #1 pick but he has faced some of the worst pitching of any player so far this season, I would expect major regression from most of the Dodgers going forward.

Ok, well so has the rest of that Dodgers lineup, yet Kemp is the only hitting over .300 (and he's hitting .487, actually). Will the 9-1 Dodgers keep this pace up as a team? Of course not, nobody wins 90 percent of their games. Right now Kemp is carrying the team on his shoulders, and he is the hottest hitter in the league right now.

Kershaw is hitting .333, so I don't know what you're talking about haha! But honestly, to say he is carrying the team is a stretch. First off Ethier has the 2nd most RBIS in the MLB and that's hitting behind who Kemp who is already cleaning them all up. Mark Ellis while not hitting great has an OBP of .366, which has allowed him to score 10 times in front Kemp. Also the other Ellis- AJ, is doing a very nice job of getting on base too. Over .400, this is awesome because it allows the pitcher to bat and the dodgers to start fresh the next inning. Also don't forget about Guerra, leads in saves and hasn't allowed a run.

On to those who say Kemps numbers are less amazing because of who he is playing, that in no way accounts for his HR's. He he has hit all of his MLB leading 6 HR's in dodger stadium and petco. We're not talking some little league yankee stadium here. These are two of the toughest stadiums in baseball. Don't downplay what he has done.

Javy Guerra having 5 saves (and a win today) actually proves my point even further (And they had a close win when Kenley Jansen blew a save too). Thats 7 games right there that the Dodgers won by 3 runs or less. Matt Kemp all by himself this season has turned probable close losses, into close wins. And Ethier probably only has half the RBI total if Kemp isnt batting in front of him.

Now I'm not saying the Dodgers would have lost all 7 of those close games if Kemp wasnt there. But I'm willing to bet they would have lost 3 or 4 of them at least.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who's the "I should have seen that coming" guy this year

Postby TheRock » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Right, so this Kemp guy is pretty good? Pretty sure we all saw that coming.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby rotoquest » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:35 pm

TheRock wrote:Right, so this Kemp guy is pretty good? Pretty sure we all saw that coming.

Rock, you just made me laugh out loud. Thanks, I needed it.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby Montana168 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:24 pm

While we are on the topic of the Dodgers...how about Chad Billingsley for the guy we should have seen coming. He was going incredibly late this year that the risk was certainly worth the reward. His biggest stat that has stuck out to me so far is his k/bb rate, so far 15:1 (and through 4 IP of his current start 2k:0bb). VERY early in the season, but if Billingsley has figured out how to effectively command his pitches, he is this years James Shields. ;-D
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fantasydraftstrategy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:31 pm

I predicted Gio Gonzalez would be the NL Cy Young Winner this year. He pitched a great game tonight. He was one of the best values in baseball drafts this year in my opinion.
http://www.fantasydraftstrategy.com -- Winning a championship starts with the draft. Stick with us all season long for fantasy updates. Check out our Fantasy Team & Trade Evaluator at http://www.fantasydraftstrategy.com/fantasy-team-trade-evaluator
fantasydraftstrategy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Metropolitans » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Metropolitans wrote:Ike Davis.... off to a 28-100 clip (extrapolated over full season) lastyr before injury and walls moved in down RF, tailormade for Ike's stroke

Eric Hosmer.... a trendy pick i know, but i see him moving into 1st Rd / early 2nd Rd nextyr... and can be had in 5th ( potential votto-esque statline)

David Freese.... torrid pace in playoffs, which i think will carry over and provide 3rd-6th round value

Neil Walker.... batting cleanup thisyr and wont hurt u in any stats... solid hitter who could have "Michael Young-esque" type of year (high RBIs / Avg, with mid-high teen HR totals) and from 2nd base, thats awesome

Jake Peavy.... only problems have been health in last few years, reports say hes 100% healthy and he can be had very late.... upside is tremendous

Josh Johnson.... could contend for Cy Young and ranked outside the top 100 on yahoo, his ADP is higher but still, great value

To recap my post... Some nailed, some completely missed:

Ike Davis- 32-90 is pretty good, first half and batting avg killed but I'd say this wasn't a bad call

Eric Hosmer- complete whiff! No need to elaborate, kid regressed BiG time

David Freese- I said up to 6th Rd value and later cited Longo lite numbers, not too far off and outplayed his ADP

Neil Walker- had his ups and downs but at one point, was a complete stud. Not quite what I had hoped but not a loss either.

Jake Peavy- loved em and had em in every league. Tough luck in the Wins dept but solid season all around.

Josh Johnson- missed big time on this pick as well. Just wasn't even close to the same pitcher

All in all I'm happy with my picks above and I'll be targeting Hosmer HEAVILY in my keeper nextyr and I'll also be targeting JJ to have a bounce back season.
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metropolitans » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:30 pm

fantasydraftstrategy wrote:I predicted Gio Gonzalez would be the NL Cy Young Winner this year. He pitched a great game tonight. He was one of the best values in baseball drafts this year in my opinion.

I think Dickey def takes it home but very good call! Gio is certainly Cy Young worthy, just happened to get second bested by RA
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Timgeorge2 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Pitchers: Julio Teheran, Alex Cobb

Hitters: Chase Utley, Emlio Bonifacio...I think he'll lead the AL in steals and have 2B eligibility.
Timgeorge2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Timgeorge2 wrote:Pitchers: Julio Teheran, Alex Cobb

Hitters: Chase Utley, Emlio Bonifacio...I think he'll lead the AL in steals and have 2B eligibility.

He won't play every day but he still might lead the AL in steals. Utley is a great pick.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:50 pm

David Ortiz - He's gonna miss some time but he's coming off back-to-back .400 wOBA seasons, including a .300/.400/.600 abbreviated season in 2012. If he plays 100 games at 80% of that rate he'll be a bargain. Tons of room for profit from a guy still in his prime. If he flops and can't recover from the injury, you lose out on your 17th round pick. That's a gamble I'll make every single time.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers