Who's the "I should have seen that coming" guy this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who's the "I should have seen that coming" guy this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who's the "I should have seen that coming" guy this year?

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Jayson heyword is looking pretty sexy thus far. I'm sure if he busts loose this year he'll be the guy that we all refer to when I say "how did I not see that coming?"
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 403)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who's the

Postby Izenhart » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Matt Kemp should have been the #1 pick this year. He's just a beast. .350-150-50-150-50!
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 531)

Postby jefferey13 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:47 pm

Izenhart wrote:Matt Kemp should have been the #1 pick this year. He's just a beast. .350-150-50-150-50!

Ehh--- look at what he did in 2010, and he was swinging the bat very poorly in ST. He won't keep this up. Mind you I am a huge dodger fan and took Kemp in my draft, it's just a bit TOO good.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 154)

Re: Re: Who's the

Postby wrveres » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Izenhart wrote:Matt Kemp should have been the #1 pick this year. He's just a beast. .350-150-50-150-50!

He can't face the padres every game
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Re: Who's the "I should have seen that coming" guy this year

Postby West » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Try .310-110-34-110-30 for Kemp. Still top 3 numbers.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 216)

Postby Ender » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:15 pm

I agree he should be the #1 pick but he has faced some of the worst pitching of any player so far this season, I would expect major regression from most of the Dodgers going forward.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Ender wrote:

I agree he should be the #1 pick but he has faced some of the worst pitching of any player so far this season, I would expect major regression from most of the Dodgers going forward.

Ok, well so has the rest of that Dodgers lineup, yet Kemp is the only hitting over .300 (and he's hitting .487, actually). Will the 9-1 Dodgers keep this pace up as a team? Of course not, nobody wins 90 percent of their games. Right now Kemp is carrying the team on his shoulders, and he is the hottest hitter in the league right now.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Ender » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:14 pm

Yes he is but that still doesn't change the fact they have played 10 games against if not the 2 worst teams in baseball certainly 2 of the worst 5. He has been hot, he is a great hitter but it is always important to take all stats in context especially when working with really small samples. Some teams have faced 7 or 8 good pitchers, the Dodgers have faced like 2. Some teams have faced 7 or 8 good lineups the Dodgers have faced 0. It is very important to keep these things in the back of your mind any time you are evaluating a player.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Izenhart » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:28 pm

Ender wrote:Yes he is but that still doesn't change the fact they have played 10 games against if not the 2 worst teams in baseball certainly 2 of the worst 5. He has been hot, he is a great hitter but it is always important to take all stats in context especially when working with really small samples. Some teams have faced 7 or 8 good pitchers, the Dodgers have faced like 2. Some teams have faced 7 or 8 good lineups the Dodgers have faced 0. It is very important to keep these things in the back of your mind any time you are evaluating a player.

He's off to a more amazing start than people realize.

After 1/16 of a season he is on pace for:
.487-210-97-259-16.

if he went 0 for his next 39 over his next 10 games with a .000-0-0-0-0 line he would still be on pace for:
.244-105-48-130-8

I know its early and he's faced bad pitching, but the best hitters get hot when they face bad pitching. I expect him to flirt with 50 home runs and put up a huge RBI total.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 531)

Postby jefferey13 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:50 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
Ender wrote:

Ok, well so has the rest of that Dodgers lineup, yet Kemp is the only hitting over .300 (and he's hitting .487, actually). Will the 9-1 Dodgers keep this pace up as a team? Of course not, nobody wins 90 percent of their games. Right now Kemp is carrying the team on his shoulders, and he is the hottest hitter in the league right now.

Kershaw is hitting .333, so I don't know what you're talking about haha! But honestly, to say he is carrying the team is a stretch. First off Ethier has the 2nd most RBIS in the MLB and that's hitting behind who Kemp who is already cleaning them all up. Mark Ellis while not hitting great has an OBP of .366, which has allowed him to score 10 times in front Kemp. Also the other Ellis- AJ, is doing a very nice job of getting on base too. Over .400, this is awesome because it allows the pitcher to bat and the dodgers to start fresh the next inning. Also don't forget about Guerra, leads in saves and hasn't allowed a run.

On to those who say Kemps numbers are less amazing because of who he is playing, that in no way accounts for his HR's. He he has hit all of his MLB leading 6 HR's in dodger stadium and petco. We're not talking some little league yankee stadium here. These are two of the toughest stadiums in baseball. Don't downplay what he has done.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 154)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers