Entry fees and strangers - Opinions please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Entry fees and strangers - Opinions please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Entry fees and strangers - Opinions please

Postby Bonzai Baseball » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Most of my buddies have small children at home. So this year I am kind of on my own fantasy baseball wise. Most all of the websites out there do not have pay auction leagues as an option. I would really love to play in an auction keeper league this year.

I tried creating leagues in the league classifieds for $150, then $100, then $60, and finally $40. I advertised that I would use league safe. I only got one sign up.

Is the problem the entry fee? Is $40 just too much for strangers to sign up for? (trust issue)

I thought that the league classifieds would help me fill my league. I have not had any luck so far. Is it just impossible to get 9 strangers to sign up for a league?

I would love feedback from other commissioners that have successfully started leagues on this site. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Bonzai Baseball
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Entry fees and strangers - Opinions please

Postby bigmck » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:00 pm

I think the best place to find a league is the ESPN site. It is very active.
http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb? ... ard&id=flb Back to your original question, I started a pay league this year for the first time ($25). I had several of the guys that had played before that just wanted to play the game and not for money. It is also a trust issue even for a small amount. The very best if possible is to find a local league where you can meet face to face for the auction, but that is hard to do. Wish you luck
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby jefferey13 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:40 am

I did a very small amount for a league of $15. I filled 5 of the 10 spots through this board and ESPN boards, the others were friends. It took some time but it really wasn't too bad at all. I just made it a point that when I made the posts on ESPN I was on the homepage in my chat room to answer questions. I had everyone joined and paid over 72 hours in advance of the draft and all 10 guys showed up to the draft. I was very pleased. I did have 3 never except their league invites that I had to kick, and I had 4 more who did accept their invites but didn't pay in the time frame they said they would pay in so I had to kick them too. So to it took me 17 guys to fill 10 spots.

On another note, since you didn't have a single person for your league when you started it, why not just join someone else's?
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OBPlover » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:06 am

There are some big problems that I have encountered...

First, the trade veto system. Most leagues use a 2 owner Veto system, So if you join a League alone, there's really no assurance that unfair traded will be Veto'ed,Of course that's true with office pools as well, but at least you can face your fellow owners in the eye.

Second, even if a league is using some kind of clearing system, like "leaguesafe" there is no guarantee that Leaguesafe itself is honest. What's to stop the owners of Leaguesafe from taking all that deposited money and flleeing to Nigeria or something? I know it sounds paranoid and far-fetched. But I also play online poker and look what happened to FUll Tilt Poker, you just never know.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 135)

Postby bigmck » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:28 am

You are right about LeagueSafe. Someone has to be able to get the money out at the end of the year and what is to stop them from just taking the money. There is no system that is 100% safe. I only play in small money leagues, $25. This makes it fun but is not risking a lot of money. These people who do the $200 leagues with strangers are just asking for trouble.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jefferey13 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Leaguesafe has the option for voting to determine the payouts, so at least in this way the owner can't just take it and run, he has to get enough members to vote for him to take it and run. If you join a league with 9 friends and your the odd man out, then you're probably going to find some trouble.

I actually run my league through leaguesafe and have the option set up for owner decides the payout, no voting. I have 5 friends and friends of friends, and 5 guys from forums. I was scared at the end of the year if some dropped or got lazy I would have to hound people to vote. At least I know I can trust myself and would never take someone else's winnings.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigmck » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:44 pm

jefferey13 wrote:Leaguesafe has the option for voting to determine the payouts, so at least in this way the owner can't just take it and run, he has to get enough members to vote for him to take it and run. If you join a league with 9 friends and your the odd man out, then you're probably going to find some trouble.

I actually run my league through leaguesafe and have the option set up for owner decides the payout, no voting. I have 5 friends and friends of friends, and 5 guys from forums. I was scared at the end of the year if some dropped or got lazy I would have to hound people to vote. At least I know I can trust myself and would never take someone else's winnings.

Tell me this about LeagueSafe == If you have a ten person league that pays the top three at the end of the year and you have it set to vote. What if the bottom five guys just flee the league because they have lost. Does everyone have to vote to get the money or how does it work?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jefferey13 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:28 pm

bigmck- Heres some info from the site-
"Commissioners who selected the Majority Vote payout method at the beginning of the season are solely responsible for allocating payouts at the end of the season. Once the allocation has been submitted, the league will be given a chance to vote on the proposed allocations via email. Once the allocation has received enough votes to pass with a 51% majority, funds will transfer from the league into individual owner accounts.

The vote will stay open for 7 days. If not enough votes are cast to reach a majority, the allocation will pass or fail based on the number of votes cast at the time of expiration. For example, if 3 members of a 10-team league vote YES and 1 votes NO, the allocation would pass by a count of 3-1 upon expiration."

I didn't want to deal with this so I just set it to commissioner decides payout, we also have a strange payout structure so I thought it would make things easier. Downside is the members are now trusting me to not just say I get all the money. 5 people in the league don't know me in any way, but I had no complaints. I know me, and I know I would never steal the money or be shady, but I don't know how to ensure you find a trustworthy person besides me lol.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigmck » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:06 pm

jefferey13 wrote:bigmck- Heres some info from the site-
"Commissioners who selected the Majority Vote payout method at the beginning of the season are solely responsible for allocating payouts at the end of the season. Once the allocation has been submitted, the league will be given a chance to vote on the proposed allocations via email. Once the allocation has received enough votes to pass with a 51% majority, funds will transfer from the league into individual owner accounts.

The vote will stay open for 7 days. If not enough votes are cast to reach a majority, the allocation will pass or fail based on the number of votes cast at the time of expiration. For example, if 3 members of a 10-team league vote YES and 1 votes NO, the allocation would pass by a count of 3-1 upon expiration."

I didn't want to deal with this so I just set it to commissioner decides payout, we also have a strange payout structure so I thought it would make things easier. Downside is the members are now trusting me to not just say I get all the money. 5 people in the league don't know me in any way, but I had no complaints. I know me, and I know I would never steal the money or be shady, but I don't know how to ensure you find a trustworthy person besides me lol.

I have been curious about the exact procedure. If you use the "Commish Decides" method then LeagueSafe is not any better than using a Paypal account. Everything depends on the Commish. If you use the voting procedure, then LeagueSafe is safe and everyone is guaranteed to get their payout. What do they charge for their service?
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jefferey13 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Correct that it is no safer than paypal, but I think theres a stereotype of "oh he's using leaguesage so it's fine." And as far as fees it can be free if you limit your deposits to by check only. As far as withdrawls, you can get a prepaid debit card sent for free, or a check is $1.50 I believe.

Heres full info - http://leaguesafe.com/FAQ
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner