Lorenzo Cain, Joes Altuve, or Logan Morrison? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Lorenzo Cain, Joes Altuve, or Logan Morrison? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Lorenzo Cain, Joes Altuve, or Logan Morrison? WHIR

Postby angels7777 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:58 pm

MaudDib wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Morrison for me. I don't really see the attraction to Cain.

Agreed. LoMo is the easy choice. Cain has never been a top prospect, he just has a lot of speed. I think he become WW fodder by August.

Someone significantly outbid me on the WW request on LoMo ($21 out of $100)...
5x5 H2H, Non-Keep 10 tms

C- MCann
1B- Santana
2B- Carp
3B- Wright
SS- Desmnd
OF- J. Uptn, Trout, Polanco
UTIL- Springr
BN- Heywrd, Wrth
SP- Hamels, Teheran, Liriano, Garza, Kluber, Fister, A. Sanchez, Gio, Latos, Cobb, Arieta
RP- Melancon, Smith, Hawkins
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KaPluie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:05 pm

I believe in the KC magic. I like Cain in that list. He's taking Melky's spot in center, and spot in the order. It wouldn't surprise me to see Cain have a season this year like Melky had last year.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fast dogs » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Cain is having an unbelievable spring; he had a shot off Holland yesterday that I didn't think he was capable of. He's in the top 3 in total bases for spring, where did all this extra base power come from?
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 300)

Postby MaudDib » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:35 pm

fast dogs wrote:Cain is having an unbelievable spring; he had a shot off Holland yesterday that I didn't think he was capable of. He's in the top 3 in total bases for spring, where did all this extra base power come from?

It's spring training. When the actual season gets here, that power won't be there. Every year a few guys come out and hit like crazy in ST only to barely be heard of again.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby KaPluie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:08 pm

MaudDib wrote:
fast dogs wrote:Cain is having an unbelievable spring; he had a shot off Holland yesterday that I didn't think he was capable of. He's in the top 3 in total bases for spring, where did all this extra base power come from?

It's spring training. When the actual season gets here, that power won't be there. Every year a few guys come out and hit like crazy in ST only to barely be heard of again.

And other times, spring training is a prelude to a breakout season. See another case of KC magic in Alex Gordon. He killed it in spring training last year, and finished the year as a top-50 player. Its important to look behind the numbers, not just discount a player or get excited about a player based on spring numbers. In Cain's case, he hit well when he was called up last year, and suddenly showed real power in AAA last year. He already has nice speed, and should get 15-20 steals batting second on a run-happy KC team. KC also has a pretty potent offense, and he should easily approach 80-100 runs for a full year of batting second. With Gordon batting ahead of him, he'll also have some real RBI potential. I would think he has 90/15/75/20 upside, which is awesome as a waiver wire end of the bench type of guy. If he doesn't turn out, no big deal, you drop him and go with the flavor of the week. But I don't see how you can let him sit on waivers right now.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:21 pm

KaPluie wrote:
MaudDib wrote:

And other times, spring training is a prelude to a breakout season. See another case of KC magic in Alex Gordon. He killed it in spring training last year, and finished the year as a top-50 player. Its important to look behind the numbers, not just discount a player or get excited about a player based on spring numbers. In Cain's case, he hit well when he was called up last year, and suddenly showed real power in AAA last year. He already has nice speed, and should get 15-20 steals batting second on a run-happy KC team. KC also has a pretty potent offense, and he should easily approach 80-100 runs for a full year of batting second. With Gordon batting ahead of him, he'll also have some real RBI potential. I would think he has 90/15/75/20 upside, which is awesome as a waiver wire end of the bench type of guy. If he doesn't turn out, no big deal, you drop him and go with the flavor of the week. But I don't see how you can let him sit on waivers right now.

If it is between LoMo and Cain, then I am taking the guy that has shown improvement at the major league level over a couple years at a younger age. If it is between just Cain and Altuve, then take Cain because there might be a diamond there. I am just not a believer in his power yet.

So now that LoMo is off the WW, I would take a chance on Cain.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions