Utley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Utley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Utley

Postby PStyles » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 pm

Got him in the second to last round with the idea that I'd stash him on my DL. Anyone think he's gonna be worth anything this season?
PStyles
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Utley

Postby bandrus1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:53 pm

i have crap at 2b and he is on the WW

anybody want to weigh in on this
bandrus1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Second to last round and on the wire? Is this thread for real? Anyone with a DL spot should be sticking him there until he comes back. Like Chipper Jones, when he's healthy he's quite good. Even if you expect him to get injured again, he's still a commodity to try and get a good streak going with only to trade him off to someone who needs him more than you do.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:01 am

I wish he'd just call it a career so I could kick him off my dynasty team and not feel guilty about it. ;-7
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:35 pm

I drafted him at pick #265 with the stash plan. But I wanted Allen Craig (2B eligible in Yahoo!) and he got sniped 2 picks ahead of me. I also grabbed SDrew at pick #321 with the stash plan. I was surprised that Drew and Utley fell as far as they did.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Definitely worth stashing if your league has DL spots. I just waiting for him to officially be placed on the DL, so I can move him to that slot.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby jcook3127 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:33 pm

The problem is I don't see how Utley will ever be more than marginally better than a replacement 2B...

I don't see him ever regaining that 28 HR pop...or the 15-20 SB Potential...and I think batting .290 for long stretches may be in the past as well barring some BABIP help..so what is he? He is a great name, in a pretty solid line up, in a great hitter's park. But that's not going to cut it for fantasy owners...the Runs and RBIs won't be that spectacular if he's on a 16 HR pace batting .275 in the middle of that lineup with no green light

I know Utley stole a lot in his limited time last year but you gotta think with these chronic knee issues that those days are going to stop very soon.

I mean I absolutely think he's worth a stash in 12+ teamers..but if I had Uggla or Zobrist or even Weeks I can't imagine I'd find a roster spot for him for too long after that DL tag ends
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:39 pm

jcook3127 wrote:I mean I absolutely think he's worth a stash in 12+ teamers..but if I had Uggla or Zobrist or even Weeks I can't imagine I'd find a roster spot for him for too long after that DL tag ends

Well, obviously those guys aren't the issue. At least two of them are better than Utley at this stage anyway. It's the Jemile Weeks, Aaron Hill, and Kelly Johnson-type of players that people would need to consider starting over Utley. Unfortunately, given that Utley could sit or be out for any length of time at any point in the season, one may need to stick with guys that one can depend on. Utley is pretty lowly ranked these days ... unless it's an NL-only league.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 pm

In my NL Only league Utley went for $9. Which is peanuts. I paid $11 for Altuve and $9 for Ryan Roberts. He's pretty cheap all-around, so if he repeats last season I think his owners should be happy. I personally prefer certainty of ABs in deep leagues.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers