Question about how to approach Dynasty Draft year 1 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Question about how to approach Dynasty Draft year 1

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question about how to approach Dynasty Draft year 1

Postby Bonzai Baseball » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:48 pm

I am brand new to the dynasty league set up. I am participating in my first dynasty draft this weekend. The league is a 5 X 5 roto league.

Roster Composition:

2 C
1 1B
1 2B
1 SS
1 3B
1 MI
1 CI
5 OF
1 U
9 P

7 Bench
3 Minor League Players

Each year teams can keep up to 23 players. The draft is a snake draft. Every year there will be a draft of 10 rounds to pick up additional players (over the 23 keepers). You can keep less than 23, but you still only get 10 picks in the draft. There are no player salaries. There are no penalties to keeping a player for as long as you like.

What is the best way to approach the league. I found the league in league classifieds, so I am very hesitant to pick all top prospect young guys like Harper, Strassburg, Trout, Lawrie, etc. However, in a dynasty league with no penalties I am thinking this might be the way to go.

The question for those of you in dynasty leagues: If you could start over, would you draft top prospect and young keeper guys, or would you try to win it all now and worry about prospects in year 2 and beyond? Can't wait to hear your feedback.

Thanks,

Scott
Bonzai Baseball
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Question about how to approach Dynasty Draft year 1

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Draft the best guys available to start.
Maybe by round 5, start to give young upside guys a boost in rankings.
Don't over reach for say Trout, when a Alex Gordon is there.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Bonzai Baseball » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Maybe I am putting too much weight on being able to keep guys unlimited years without penalty. This rule in particular is why I think a guy like Bryce Harper could go in the first two rounds. I guess in reality guys like Cabrera still have several years left of elite production.
Bonzai Baseball
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mikekim2121 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:45 pm

Early on (first 5-10) rounds, go for the best players while giving a slight boost to the younger or not that old guys (under 30) and slightly downgrade the older guys. After that early phase, put even more of an emphasis on youth vs older guys. If someone wants to draft Bryce and Trout in round one, let them.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:56 am

Bonzai Baseball wrote:Maybe I am putting too much weight on being able to keep guys unlimited years without penalty. This rule in particular is why I think a guy like Bryce Harper could go in the first two rounds. I guess in reality guys like Cabrera still have several years left of elite production.

If someone wants Harper over a top 25 player, let them.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby MaudDib » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:22 am

Bonzai Baseball wrote:Maybe I am putting too much weight on being able to keep guys unlimited years without penalty. This rule in particular is why I think a guy like Bryce Harper could go in the first two rounds. I guess in reality guys like Cabrera still have several years left of elite production.

Winning this year is just as important as winning 5 years from now. Heck the league might not even be together 5 years from now. While you might miss out on Harper in the early rounds, you will at get something just as good.

I would give a slight bump to Justin Upton while a slight down grade to Pujols and Bautista but not enough to drop them out of the top 10. I would go at this very similar to any other draft but again giving guys who are younger a slight increase but not too much. If other teams want to take Strasburg or Moore more than a round or two than they normally go, then let them. It isn't like all veterans are suddenly going to drop off a cliff and not have any value.

Rookies and young guys take longer than people think to usually get going. Look at guys like Justin Upton, Kershaw, Kemp or Tulo and see how quickly they made the leap to stardom (hint: not immediately). Again championships are all that matter so go for a win now if everyone else is preoccupied with the future.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions