Dinasty League - How it works? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Dinasty League - How it works?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dinasty League - How it works?

Postby TBA » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:28 pm

Fellaz, how are you?

Me and some friends are trying to assemble a Dinasty League. We thought about 8 total keepers: 4 veterans and 4 players under 21 years old.

But we are not sure how it works.

Can you help us providing a basic cet of rules to make this kind of league workout?
TBA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dinasty League - How it works?

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:26 pm

TBA wrote:Fellaz, how are you?

Me and some friends are trying to assemble a Dinasty League. We thought about 8 total keepers: 4 veterans and 4 players under 21 years old.

But we are not sure how it works.

Can you help us providing a basic cet of rules to make this kind of league workout?

That is a big ole question, and hard to answer without being more specific. I can point you here:

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/keeperintro

This is a document I wrote that is up on our site now (but hard to find heh) that gives some basics for users thinking of starting a keeper league. Hopefully it helps get you a little further along. With so many users here who play in keeper leagues, I imagine you'll get other good advice, and I'd certainly welcome feedback on the document I wrote. It actually got released before I particularly thought it was finished, but we concluded it did more good than bad to have it out there...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jefferey13 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 pm

For me dynasty leagues and keeper leagues are where you keep your players from one year to the next. Dynasty leagues are keeper leagues on steroids. Some common things for a dynasty that regular keeper leagues often have are large rosters (30), use the minor leagues, often keeper more than twenty players year to year, and often no very relaxed or no limits on how long you keep your guys.

As already stated, it's kind of a gray area, and I'm sure you will get lots of opinions.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TBA » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Ill try to be more specific:

We are thinking about keep 4 veterans and 4 players who will start the year at the minor leagues.

My main doubt is: what to do with the 4 minor leaguers? Should all owners keep 4 minors during the whole season?

What if one of those 4 get called up? Should the guy drop one player to add another minor leaguer?

All the question marks are related to the 4 from the minors.

Sorry, Im brazilian, I know my english isnt proper.

Thanks anyway.
TBA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jefferey13 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 am

I don't know if I can figure out a good way for the minor keepers to really work for you.

A question that would make things easier for me would be to know how many teams you will have in your league and how many roster spots.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Goatrider » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:58 am

Minors is not too difficult to figure out:

1) Hold minor league draft every year, spots 1 through 4.
2) Use MLB rookie eligibility rules as a guide post. 130 Ab/50IP. Rookies have to be under this limit to 1) be drafted as a minor leaguer and 2) to be kept within the owner's minors system. Once the player passes these thresholds, they have to be called up to active roster.
3) Allow eligible minor players to be kept indefinitely. You have 4 spots. If two of your players are called up in 2012 and you cedide to keep the remaining 2 rookies, you forfiet your lowest minor draft picks in 2013. Basically you'd have Pick 1, Pick 2, Keeper from 2012, Kepper from 2012.
4) I like to add an extra benefit of at least one extra year of team control for guys you develop outta minors. SO: If your regular keeper contracts are Year 1 and Year 2 then the player is a FA. Let the Minors that get called up start on a Zero Year contract, basically simulates cheap talent control on MLB level.

Another piece of advice, if you want a true Dynasty league- keep more than 4 major leaguers. At 4 keepers, that is a 'light' keeper league IMO. I find 6-7 keepers good for keeper leagues. Fot Dynasty, keep around twenty. But on this point, I'd have a some sort of progressing salary scale as real life players become too expensive to keep and doing the same in Fantasy will help keep your league balanced and fun.

Peace
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby TBA » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:51 am

Our goal is a 14-team leagu, with 24 spots + 4 minor league spots. What do you think?

Im processing all the information from the last post and I will talk to my mates.

Here in Brazil we still dont play keeper leagues with advanced rules.

Im in a league where we keep 4 players, no matter where they where they were drafted and you keep them for your entire life. Im trying to change it to something more realistic, but I can't find good articles on how to do it.

You are helping me a lot. Thanks guys.
TBA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Goatrider » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:05 am

Hey man,
It is real cool you are on the cutting edge for the geographic region. The following is the rules for the Minor Leagues I cannabilized and re-wrote last year for my league. The big change this year, we switched from forced call-ups to following the 130/50 rule. Forced call-ups were a disaster. I have not made those changes yet. Enjoy. Note: this is for NL-only but can easily be changed to utilize both leagues.

Second point, I often find do more than one change a year is too much for people to process. So you may just stick with introducing the minors this year and let your boys know what you are thinking about in terms of MLB keepers. But if everyone is ready to roll, feel free to keep posting in this thread and I will holler.

VII. FARM & MINOR LEAGUE PLAYERS

A. Immediately following the auction, teams shall participate in a Minor League FARM Draft. The MiL Draft will be snake with order determined by the previous year's standings. Each team maintains a Farm System of three (3) players.
1. The FARM draft will be conducted in the following order: The 5th place team ( or the first team out of the money) from the previous season shall select first, followed by the 6th thru last place team, and then the 4th thru 1st place teams. The draft will operate on a revolving basis (5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 11, 10, etc.). With 10 teams paying out 1st thru 3rd it will start with the 4th place team then following the same process.
1a. New owners will be placed at the end of the draft order in the order that they joined.

B. Players eligible to be drafted or kept as FARM players are those who have not lost their rookie eligibility (equal to or less than130AB, 50IP) and have not otherwise been legally acquired by a Roto team.

1. ONLY MINOR LEAGUE PLAYERS DRAFTED AS FARM PLAYERS MAY BE PLACED IN A TEAM'S FARM ROSTER.

2. Major League Rookie players maintain eligible for the main auction. Precedence states rookies in ML camp at time of the main auction have a reasonable chance of making the parent club and are eligible for auction.

3. To be eligible, Prospect must be "property" of an NL team.

C. A farm system player taken in a draft can be kept as a farm system player until the season that he is activated by his MLB team.

D. At the time activated by MLB, fantasy owner must roster the Farm player in the active roster, reserves, or be released.
1. The Farm player is then switched to a $5 Zero Year contract.
2. The FARM Draft implements a specialty seventh keeper, termed the Farm Keeper (F Keeper). Each owner retains the usual six keepers. In addition, the F1 Keeper allows each owner to protect one activated player each year developed by the Farm System. Activated farm players are marked by F0,F1, and F2 year contracts. This rule maintains the integrity of the Keeper and Farm Systems. This rule does NOT restrict keeping a second activated Farm player in a regular keeper spot.
3. A farm player who is called up during the season by his MLB team cannot be reassigned to the FARM during that season.
4. 1. When a FARM player is released by their Roto team, they become free agents and revert from a FARM contract to a regular FA contract (Year 1 @ $5 if signed, unless originally a F2 contract).

E. If a team acquires a 4th farm player in a trade that team would need to release a farm player to remain legal or include a farm player in the same trade where they acquired their 4th farm player. You may never exceed 3 farm players.

F. Farm players retained from year to year are not considered Keepers.

1. If a Farm player is retained from year to year the lowest available Farm draft pick is forfeited. I.E. Team 1 decides to keep Player X for 2013. Team 1 loses a third round Farm pick. If you keep two farm players you would lose your 3rd and 2nd round picks.

2. A minor league player not activated by his MLB is eligible as a farm system player, provided he has retained rookie status according to Major League Baseball rules.

G. Following the FARM Draft, the Reserve Draft shall take place as usual. Any prospects not taken in the MiL Draft are eligible for the reserve draft with none of the aforementioned benefits above.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TBA » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Hey mate, really appreciate it.

Im gonna show it to my mates and we will probably have some questions. Can I post some later today?

Thanks.
TBA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Goatrider » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Yeah definitely. There is another specific that is different in some leagues. In our rules, Minor Leaguers stay in play via Free Agency regardless of their MLB status. SO after the Minor Draft, we can still pick up lesser minor league free agents but withOUT the benefits of being a FARM player. Most leagues just do not allow owners to pick up undrafted minor leaguers and require them to wait until they are called up by the parent club. I prefer our way. More fun.

Anytime brother.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner