Need help with Roto league rules please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need help with Roto league rules please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need help with Roto league rules please

Postby nfljoe » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:45 pm

I just joined a Yahoo 12 man standard ROTO league. I have a cap of 162 games for each position and player, and 1400 max innings for pitchers.

Okay, I understand that part of it. However, I need advice on strategy and how to set your lineup daily.

For example, should I sit a superstar player like Tulowitzki or Stanton and put someone in their place if they have a day off? Being that each player and each position is capped at 162 games is this a wise policy? This is where I am confused.

And for pitching I have 2 closers and 6 starters. Does it matter if use up the majority of my 1400 innings with a month to go? If I get a bunch of wins out of those starts then who cares, right? Should you have innings left to use near the end of the season? To me, it would seem that as long as you get the best use out of those innings then good, right?
I have guys like King Felix, Jordan Zimmerman, Jaime Garcia and Derek Holland.

I don't know the answers to these questions and would really appreciate some help from experienced ROTO players.

Thank you very much in advance for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
nfljoe
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need help with Roto league rules please

Postby jefferey13 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:41 pm

I've never used a position maximum for hitters before. But if that was the case I would always plan for my best starters to be maxed out. I would plan on the top players playing around 150 games or a bit more. For pitchers, In ROTO it doesn't matter if you accumulate those innings at the beginning or the end. But it could be wise to have innings to use towards the end so you can decide how best to use them. For instance look which stat you are trailing in and put in pitchers to target those areas. If you are up by 100 Saves on the next closest guy, maybe you sit your relievers and use your innings to get W or K.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fast dogs » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:31 pm

start the hitters every day you can. Pitch all your good pitchers everyday and sit the lesser 1's in tough matchups. You'll use all your innings eventually, the mistake people make is using their 5th and 6th starters as much as they do their top couple.you will probably have a tough time getting 162 starts at C, the rest you'll get close
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)

Postby bigmck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:09 pm

Like the other poster said, I too have never been in a league where there was a max on hitters. I see no purpose in that. I have never heard of "streaming shortstops". You need to put a max on pitchers, but not hitters. You might want to discuss that in your league. It is not practical.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Return to Commissioner's Corner