ENOUGH! The Brett lawrie love has gone too far. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ENOUGH! The Brett lawrie love has gone too far.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Honestly.. He's good, he's got great upside. But, get this 30hr stuff out of your head. It's not going to happen.

He had 26 hrs in his last 846 minor league at-bats.

What makes you think he'll have 30 in 500 MLB at-bats? Is it because he had 9 in 43 games last year? Guess what, guys.. He was on fire. It happens. Small sample size is way overrating him right now. Last year he had a hr every 16.6 at-bats. That's Pujols-esque. Brett lawrie is not Albert Pujols, nor is he Ryan Braun, yet.

Stop overvaluing. Get 30/30 out of your head or you'll just be disappointed. Expect 18/25 and be ecstatic when you get it. I would hate for a season like that to be looked at as a disappointment.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ENOUGH! The Brett lawrie love has gone too far.

Postby Izenhart » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:55 pm

why u hatin? the dude is legit.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:18 pm

I really am not hatin on Lowry. Dude IS legit. From things I've heard, the hype has gone wayyyy overboard. People should be excited when he goes 18/25 this year, not disappointed.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby germani40 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:22 pm

He is good but he is not a 30/30 guy like a lot of people are trying to make it seem. He might be one at some point in his career but this year no. Like you said he didnt even hit 30 homers with over 800 ABs in the minors hes not doing it in the majors. So I agree 100% that he is good but its going too far
Keep
C Napoli
1 Butler/Davis/Hosmer/Dunn
2 Young/Utley/Zobrist
3 Moustakas
SS Bonifacio/E Cabrera
OF Grandy/Choo/Reddick/Kubel
SP Anderson/C Lee/Oswalt
Haren/Moore/A Sanchez
RP Soriano/Myers/Johnson/Aceves/Parnell
germani40
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 98)

Postby jefferey13 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:31 pm

+1
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:34 pm

I agree, I have problems taking guys like this in the first 5 rounds. I am always looking for proven guys with more statistical history.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:36 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Honestly.. He's good, he's got great upside. But, get this 30hr stuff out of your head. It's not going to happen.

He had 26 hrs in his last 846 minor league at-bats.

What makes you think he'll have 30 in 500 MLB at-bats? Is it because he had 9 in 43 games last year? Guess what, guys.. He was on fire. It happens. Small sample size is way overrating him right now. Last year he had a hr every 16.6 at-bats. That's Pujols-esque. Brett lawrie is not Albert Pujols, nor is he Ryan Braun, yet.

Stop overvaluing. Get 30/30 out of your head or you'll just be disappointed. Expect 18/25 and be ecstatic when you get it. I would hate for a season like that to be looked at as a disappointment.

Four people went 30/30 last year but nobody in 2010 and only Kinsler did it in 2009. So if people were predicting 30/30 that would be top 5, first round minimum. I don't see anyone taking Lawrie first round. His ADP on yahoo is 50.3. He's being drafted as the 8th 3rd baseman behind Sandoval, Zimm and Beltre but ahead of Youklis and Aram. You're paying a little for the upside but that's about right.

In a keeper you can draft him higher because of the upside but in a redraft, late 4th or early 5th round is about right for him.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby ichirosan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:41 pm

The thing is, he got drafted earlier and earlier.

In my main league (12 man, 5x5 roto), which drafted last week, he went late in the 3rd round. Everything would have to break out right for you to turn a profit there.
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 pm

I wouldn't expect him to last past pick 40 in most leagues and I've seen him go before pick 28 in a couple of leagues.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play- ... able::none

Search that by OPS and then look at how like 75% of the pitchers he did well against are names you probably don't even recognize. Small samples are bad enough but a large portion of his sample was against September callup style players. He did some damage against some real pitchers as well mind you and I expect him to have a good season but when you draft him in the 3rd round he suddenly HAS to have a huge year and then you just have risk without much reward.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jfg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:28 pm

I don't think anybody is saying he's going to go 30/30, like Mookie said he'd be gone in the 1st if that was the case. That's just upside. But, I think he's got a great chance to go 20/20 and that's worth where he's going. But, I think the big reason Lawrie's stock rose in the past month is that people saw what 3rd basemen came after him on their lists.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers