ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Postby thatguysound » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:20 pm

jefferey13 wrote:I don't think Ellsbury for Upton is an obvious reject. I do think the entire deal is.
Ellsbury beat Upton in every stat last year and I don't think that's something to downplay. So if I could agree they're even, but I can't see Halladay for Lincecum.

And I don't think all leagues have to have restrictions on keepers, just most leagues do.

I'm not downplaying it, but when you have one player coming off a career year where he was MILES better than any previous year, or another player, 4 years younger, who is steadily improving on a yearly basis... which one is more likely to repeat? Which one is more likely to improve?

Yes, Doc is better than Tim. But the OP has a solid enough rotation to survive the dropoff, and I think Upton makes up the difference over Ellsbury. I think there is a greater chance that Ellsbury reverts to the .798 OPS player with 60 steals than he has another .900+ season. That is still insanely valuable, but I believe Upton is going to be that much better than Ellsbury.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :)
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joeyg2323 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:24 pm

thatguysound wrote:
jefferey13 wrote:I don't think Ellsbury for Upton is an obvious reject. I do think the entire deal is.
Ellsbury beat Upton in every stat last year and I don't think that's something to downplay. So if I could agree they're even, but I can't see Halladay for Lincecum.

And I don't think all leagues have to have restrictions on keepers, just most leagues do.

I'm not downplaying it, but when you have one player coming off a career year where he was MILES better than any previous year, or another player, 4 years younger, who is steadily improving on a yearly basis... which one is more likely to repeat? Which one is more likely to improve?

Yes, Doc is better than Tim. But the OP has a solid enough rotation to survive the dropoff, and I think Upton makes up the difference over Ellsbury. I think there is a greater chance that Ellsbury reverts to the .798 OPS player with 60 steals than he has another .900+ season. That is still insanely valuable, but I believe Upton is going to be that much better than Ellsbury.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

i agree with you on upton, i think this year he is going to prove himself as an elite hitter and within the next few he will be the best hitter in baseball.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby nyr199435 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:37 pm

No way. Keep what you got.
nyr199435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RyeWhiskey » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:44 pm

I think that in terms of value in a keeper league, that I'd take this deal (I'd be much more inclined to accept if you can get the pick upgrade). I like the upside play here and think that this deal will be a make-or-break for this season. But, hey, that's what trades are often about.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teezy33 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:18 pm

I don't feel like I can really add anything new to the discussion here. This trade doesn't really do much to make you better for this season. I'd either reject it or counter and ask for more in return.
You're KILLING me Smalls!
teezy33
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ATLbraves » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:28 pm

teezy33 wrote:I don't feel like I can really add anything new to the discussion here. This trade doesn't really do much to make you better for this season. I'd either reject it or counter and ask for more in return.

Completely agree.

Thanks for the help with mine.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Since it's a keeper, i take the Upton side easily.
You get younger at OF and SP.
Upton is the best player to me, and Lincecum will still be pitching good, when Halladay has faded.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Halo Homers » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:05 pm

I would take this deal.

I agree with the previous poster. Upton is the best player is the deal. I think Upton will challenge for in 2012 to become the #1 player in baseball. A .300-40-20 season with great counting stats would not shock me. Ellsbury is more a end of the 1st round guy, I don't think the power is sustainable, and even if it is he's batting 1st, so the RBI total won't be that great.

Holliday is better than Linceum, but because this is a keeper, Lincecum has better potential over the long haul. The only thing that worries me is will Lincecum stay injury free, the way he launches himself into every pitch. Of course Doc has a lot of innings on that arm too.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby Urban Cohorts » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:33 am

Can someone explain to me why Lincecum is better than Doc in a keeper? Especially a league where QS are concerned?

Yeah, Lincecum is younger. I'll give you all that. But can someone please explain why his 3 year decline in K/9 and BB/9 (at a prime age) is nothing to be concerned about. He posted elite numbers, but if the decline keeps occurring, he won't be nearly as good. He should be pitching better with age, not worse.

And purely speculation here, but that throwing motion that Lince has screams "injury on the horizon" IMO.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:41 am

Halladay is better then Lincecum now, but for how long?
Halladay is 35. Do you expect Doc to be better in 3 years at age 38?
Lincecums K/9 drop is a concern, but it's still above 9.
The real deal breaker is getting a pre-peak Upton.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions