ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Postby joeyg2323 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:02 pm

i was offered justin upton and tim lincecum for ellsbury and roy halladay...


i do like the trade but i feel i should get more as halladay has a slight edge over lincecum. should i ask for higher draft pick in return or hit accept now?
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 946
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Postby wvufan1988 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:18 pm

I like this deal because of the fact of getting Upton, but if you feel that you need a bit more, propose him the deal with a draft pick, and leave the original deal on the table.
wvufan1988
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 84
Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Postby Nighttrain » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:26 pm

I like Ellsbury over upton and Halladay over Lincecum.

No brainer to reject.

viewtopic.php?t=442635
Nighttrain
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 326
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 5 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Postby thatguysound » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Keeper league? I take Upton and Tim.

One year league? Depends on the rest of your team.

I like Upton better than Ellsbury simply because of ceiling. Ellsbury has likely hit his, which means he can only get worse. Upton is still ascending. Doc and Tim are about even if they stay healthy all year - Doc PROBABLY has the better overall year, but its not by much.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 227
Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Postby jefferey13 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:20 pm

I wouldn't consider this deal. Reject it.

Ellsbury > Upton
Doc > Lincecum
Image
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 778
Joined: 13 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Postby joeyg2323 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:27 pm

thatguysound wrote:Keeper league? I take Upton and Tim.

One year league? Depends on the rest of your team.

I like Upton better than Ellsbury simply because of ceiling. Ellsbury has likely hit his, which means he can only get worse. Upton is still ascending. Doc and Tim are about even if they stay healthy all year - Doc PROBABLY has the better overall year, but its not by much.


it is a keeper league and only player i have better then this group is cano.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 946
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:28 pm

I wouldn't accept this deal...

If you are in a keeper league AND rebuilding, then I would accept because of Upton and his age/skill profile.

As is-

Ellsbury = Upton (though I prefer Upton myself)

The real issue-

Halladay >>> Lincecum

Lincecum has been on a 3 year decline in both K/9 and BB/9. He had a poor 2nd half in 2011 by ace standards. Those trends scare me, especially when Timmy is at an age in which he should be improving. Now if you were offered say Greinke or Price, I'd be a lot more comfortable with the deal.
Image
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1717
Joined: 2 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rome in all of its glory...

Re: ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Postby joeyg2323 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:34 pm

Urban Cohorts wrote:I wouldn't accept this deal...

If you are in a keeper league AND rebuilding, then I would accept because of Upton and his age/skill profile.

As is-

Ellsbury = Upton (though I prefer Upton myself)

The real issue-

Halladay >>> Lincecum

Lincecum has been on a 3 year decline in both K/9 and BB/9. He had a poor 2nd half in 2011 by ace standards. Those trends scare me, especially when Timmy is at an age in which he should be improving. Now if you were offered say Greinke or Price, I'd be a lot more comfortable with the deal.



the league uses OBP instead of avg and QS instead of W just to point out.

what if i try to get a 2nd round and give up a 4th or 5th does that work?
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 946
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Postby thatguysound » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:36 pm

How does the rest of your rotation look?

Ellsbury isn't going to get much better - the only thing he has for sure over Upton is the SB. Upton is going to keep improving - and he has HR and RBI over Ellsbury. AVG and R are going to be about even. I have no problem with Ellsbury being the better player for this year, maybe. But in 2013? And 2014? And 2020? I doubt it.

Doc isn't going to get much better, which is good - he's phenomenal. But he's not >>> than Tim. He's > better. Tim struggled a bit, it's true, but still had a real good season last year. Even his big down year was better than most. In a keeper league, the difference between Doc and Tim is going to stay pretty close as Doc gets older. The difference between Ellsbury and Upton will only increase in Upton's favor.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 227
Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ellsbury/doc for upton/lincecum???WHIR

Postby joeyg2323 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 pm

thatguysound wrote:How does the rest of your rotation look?

Ellsbury isn't going to get much better - the only thing he has for sure over Upton is the SB. Upton is going to keep improving - and he has HR and RBI over Ellsbury. AVG and R are going to be about even. I have no problem with Ellsbury being the better player for this year, maybe. But in 2013? And 2014? And 2020? I doubt it.

Doc isn't going to get much better, which is good - he's phenomenal. But he's not >>> than Tim. He's > better. Tim struggled a bit, it's true, but still had a real good season last year. Even his big down year was better than most. In a keeper league, the difference between Doc and Tim is going to stay pretty close as Doc gets older. The difference between Ellsbury and Upton will only increase in Upton's favor.



SP- CC, Romero, Beachy, Feliz, Jurrjens (Teheren, banuelos, betances in the minors)
RP- kimbrel, wilson, bailey, guerra and venters
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 946
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 18 Apr 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 3:45 hours
(and 90 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact