12 Man League 8 Playoff Spots, Is this a playoff Team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

12 Man League 8 Playoff Spots, Is this a playoff Team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

12 Man League 8 Playoff Spots, Is this a playoff Team?

Postby FunkyPimpMonkey » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:27 pm

1. (1) Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B)
2. (24) Roy Halladay (Phi - SP)
3. (25) Ian Kinsler (Tex - 2B)
4. (48) Elvis Andrus (Tex - SS)
5. (49) Carlos Santana (Cle - C,1B)
6. (72) Howie Kendrick (LAA - 1B,2B,OF)
7. (73) Yovani Gallardo (Mil - SP)
8. (96) Drew Storen (Was - RP)
9. (97) Drew Stubbs (Cin - OF)
10. (120) Josh Beckett (Bos - SP)
11. (121) Ryan Howard (Phi - 1B)
12. (144) Logan Morrison (Mia - OF)
13. (145) Shaun Marcum (Mil - SP)
14. (168) Chris Perez (Cle - RP)
15. (169) Mark Trumbo (LAA - 1B,OF)
16. (192) Josh Willingham (Min - OF)
17. (193) Bud Norris (Hou - SP)
18. (216) Tyler Clippard (Was - RP)
19. (217) Matt Joyce (TB - OF)
20. (240) Jonny Venters (Atl - RP)
21. (241) Chipper Jones (Atl - 3B)
22. (264) Todd Helton (Col - 1B)
23. (265) Vladimir Guerrero

Also what are your thoughts on the Clippard/ Venters combo? Last year: 180+ IP 200 K 1.8 ERA .98 WHIP 9-2 Record.

Stats are W-L-K-SV-ERA-WHIP

I'm planning on pitching my two best pitching matchups maybe 3, letting the closers go for saves (one idiot took 6 closers so the league is thin), and hoping VENT/CLIP can help add a few K's and keep my ERA and WHIP down.

Thoughts?
FunkyPimpMonkey
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 Man League 8 Playoff Spots, Is this a playoff Team?

Postby FunkyPimpMonkey » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Sorry the Scoring is H2H Weekly Format 12 Categories:

R-HR-RBI-SB-AVG-OPS...W-L-K-SV-ERA-WHIP
FunkyPimpMonkey
T-Ball Trainer

Re: 12 Man League 8 Playoff Spots, Is this a playoff Team?

Postby thatguysound » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Hard to compare without seeing the other rosters, but since you already have a 67% chance of making the playoffs, I'd say it's probably good enough to make it in the dance. I don't see you as a top seed, though - likely a 4-5, and no higher than a 3. But I would think you would make it in.

A few thoughts:

The good: Miggy. Doc. Kinsler. I like the Clippard/Venters combo (more below, though).

The questionable: Kendrick as a 6th rounder seems too early to me. Stubbs, Howard, Willingham, Helton, and Vlad all seem earlier as well. And yes, I'm aware that if you waited any longer for Helton and Vladimir you wouldn't have drafted them at all. :)

The bad: I think you picked from name recognition towards the end of your draft. Chipper, Helton, and Vlad all on the same roster? If this was 2002, awesome. 2012... not so much. Very little depth to the rotation, and I'm not sure how much I would want to rely on Marcum and Norris. Closers are so-so overall, mainly because you only have two. Even with someone taking 6, surely there must be at least one other closer you could have gotten? Maybe? You need to hope that Trumbo and/or Howard can give you a decent season, or else one of your CI positions (whichever one Miggy isn't playing) will be an ugly place.

Is your H2H league a points league? Overview? I ask because that will impact how "well rounded" you want your team to be. I'm ok with the idea of loading up on RP's to keep ERA/WHIP down - but if you're going to do that, you really need to go all in, as it is a very tricky approach. You'll take the chance on punting the W category with no guarantee that you'll win the SV category, and figure you'll need 2-3 relievers to equal the production of one top starter. Does your league have enough roster spots to play it that way? Look into RP's that qualify as SP's, so that you can maximize the strategy. Check out Kenley Jansen, Nate Robertson, Ardolis Chapman (if the Reds put him back in the pen), and Brett Meyers (closer who qualifies at SP).
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team