First Ever Fantasy Draft.. what's the damage? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First Ever Fantasy Draft.. what's the damage?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First Ever Fantasy Draft.. what's the damage?

Postby Caciques » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:40 am

So, I just participated in my first ever fantasy draft last night. It is a 12team H2H league. I pretty much punted Steals and Wins, hopefully my other stats make up for it. Without further ado... the lineup, how bad am I going to lose this year?

C- Napoli, Mike: TEX
1B- Hosmer, Eric: KC
2B- Pedroia, Dustin: BOS
3B- Bautista, Jose: TOR
SS- Peralta, Jhonny: DET
OF- Berkman, Lance: STL
OF- Beltran, Carlos: STL
OF- Markakis, Nick: BAL
OF- Francoeur, Jeff: KC
UTI- Friese, David: STL
BN- Quentin, Carlos: SD
BN- Trout, Mike: LAA
BN- Hill, Aaron: TOR
BN- Pierzynski, AJ: CWS

SP- Hamels, Cole: PHI
SP- Romero, Ricky: TOR
SP- Hellickson, Jeremy: TB
RP- Kimbrel, Craig: ATL
RP- Rivera, Mariano: NYY
P- Venters, Jonny: ATL
P- Robertson, David: NYY
BN- Johnson, Jim: Bal
BN- Aceves, Alfredo: BOS
BN- Cahill, Trevor: ARI
BN- Myers, Brett
Caciques
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First Ever Fantasy Draft.. what's the damage?

Postby Goatrider » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:06 pm

First time is always hard. Napoli, Hosmer, Ped, and Bats is real good. Peralta decent power but I would have went a different direction...I am not a big fan of punting any categories. Steals is easy to predict and can come quite cheaply, even a Dee Gordon here (combined with a speed/power OF) would have helped you compete in some weeks. And punting wins is one thing, but if that is your strategy I would have aqcuired a third closer with high k total and great WHIP. If anything, punting saves is easier than wins. But I don't do this either. Identify one closer with likely job secuirty and then fill in when other closers inevitably go down (I'd still pick up a third closer in this fashion). Kinda like a half punt. People say don't chase wins but I disagree. High K + Low WHIP + High IP + SP on good team = Wins. What you got here is low wins, low k's, decent-to-good ERA, good WHIP, and median SVs . OF has some problems; injury prone Cards and is Frenchie going to do it again? It's also missing a true anchor. Again a speed-power combo guy (Kemp, Braun, Upton, Cargo, whoever those guys are in the AL) Worse yet, offense is one-demensional. All middle of order guys so hope the offense strokes enough x-base hits and then get driven in by 6 and 7 hitters behind them. You will have HRs and RBIs for sure. I am guessing a 7 to 8 place finish. But bad drafts can be overcame. Be diligent on the WW and make a classy trade or ten and you might surprise yourself. I have seen first timers do alot worse!

I hope this does not come off mean. If you don't hate me now, I'd appreciate your input :)
viewtopic.php?t=442555
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby angels7777 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:12 pm

I would definitely not be punting more than 1 category if any at all. You never know which categories you will win week to week so I usually stay competitive in all while stacking others. You do not need 2 catchers first off. Drop AJ for another SP if possible. Your OF is a bit suspect because I personally would have avoided Berkman and Beltran as I am sure they will not be what you are expecting. I would definitely be looking to add more high K pitchers otherwise it's going to be a long year. Your closers should be decent enough. Your offense relies heavily on Bautista and Pedroia it appears and I hope Hosmer comes through for you (I avoided him in my drafts personally). Just make a couple deals and fine tune your team and it can be competitive, but I look at this team as middle of the road at best as it stnads now.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=442571
5x5 H2H, Non-Keep 10 tms

C- MCann
1B- Santana
2B- Carp
3B- Wright
SS- Desmnd
OF- J. Uptn, Trout, Polanco
UTIL- Springr
BN- Heywrd, Wrth
SP- Hamels, Teheran, Liriano, Garza, Kluber, Fister, A. Sanchez, Gio, Latos, Cobb, Arieta
RP- Melancon, Smith, Hawkins
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Caciques » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback. This whole draft thing was pretty spur of the moment, I was only invited in at the morning of and I worked the whole day, so the whole thing was on the fly. I've never done this before either so I'm really just hoping for the best at this point. I am also concerned about my outfield, I didn't expect ALL of the stud outfielders to go so quickly. I dropped Aceves because I just don't like how he fit in with my pitching and what I wanted to do. I wanted to get another starter, so i replaced him with Hughes (I like what I'm seeing from Hughes and figure if I'm going to get a pitcher with a higher WHIP and ERA than the rest of my staff I wanted someone who has more upside) I dropped AJ because he was an autopick like Myers and picked up Devin Mesoroco because I didn't want AJ on my team and hey maybe Mesoroco can live up to the hype and be of some value to me later on in the season when the rest of the league is hurting for production from catchers. While looking through my league most of the OF talent is controlled by 2 teams, so hopefully I can pry an outfielder away from them at some point. Reviewing the other rosters, I should never be outmatched in terms of power production (The teams who stockpiled the top hitters early are fairly weak at other positions). I also can pretty safely say I will dominate saves, and hopefully the low ERAs and WHIPs of my Closers can help me out.
Caciques
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team