How Did I Do in my Auction? - WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

How Did I Do in my Auction? - WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Did I Do in my Auction? - WHIR

Postby jbird669 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:21 am

Had my auction over the weekend. I am pretty happy with my team but I have some holes on offense, especially power. Still, using razzball's war room excel spreadsheet, with Wisdom of the Crowds projections, it rates my team 4th, just out of the money. I will help in return.

It's a 5x5 Roto Mixed Keeper League. We start C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 5 OFs, IF, UT, and 9 Ps. My keepers are bold.

Beltre, Adrian $12
Pence, Hunter $34
Kendrick, Howie $6
Wieters, Matt $12
Upton, B.J. $24
Bourjos, Peter $2
Mauer, Joe $12
Ramirez, Alexei $14
Swisher, Nick $8
Ackley, Dustin $3
Freeman, Freddie $4

Escobar, Yunel $2
Lee, Carlos $12
Encarnacion, Edwin $1
Hernandez, Felix $31
Gallardo, Yovani $32

Rivera, Mariano $17
Beachy, Brandon $6
Jansen, Kenley $3
Thornton, Matt $5
McCarthy, Brandon $4
Dempster, Ryan $2
Rodriguez, Francisco $1
Floyd, Gavin $3
Pestano, Vince $5
Bedard, Erik $5

Some highlights:

Many players went too high. Sergio Romo, for example, went for $6, while Ryan Howard went for $14. Tim Lincecum was $38 (other top 14 pitchers were kept).
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How Did I Do in my Auction? - WHIR

Postby joeyg2323 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:36 am

Beltre, Adrian $12 great deal if pence was $34 when beltre is the better player
Pence, Hunter $34 way over paid! would never pay this much for pence.
Kendrick, Howie $6 great deal
Wieters, Matt $12 potential upside makes this a good deal
Upton, B.J. $24 another 20/20 year makes this worth while but his only had one year worth $24
Bourjos, Peter $2 for $2 why not but prolly would not have kept
Mauer, Joe $12 waste when already have wieters should have used the money for more needs
Ramirez, Alexei $14 could have used the money from mauer and gotten andrus
Swisher, Nick $8 not bad about average
Ackley, Dustin $3 could be a great deal
Freeman, Freddie $4[/b ] great deal
Escobar, Yunel $2 bench filler good deal
Lee, Carlos $12 paid way to much, havent seen him go over $10 in any draft
Encarnacion, Edwin $1 bench filler
[b]Hernandez, Felix $31 steal if lince went for 38
Gallardo, Yovani $32
paid more for gallardo?
Rivera, Mariano $17 good
Beachy, Brandon $6 steal
Jansen, Kenley $3 too much for a non closer
Thornton, Matt $5 too much for a shaky closer
McCarthy, Brandon $4 could work out
Dempster, Ryan $2 nice deal
Rodriguez, Francisco $1 nice deal
Floyd, Gavin $3 not good
Pestano, Vince $5 paid too much
Bedard, Erik $5 paid too much

most of them are good deals and the ones you paid too much arent by a lot. i really like the felix price for what other pitchers are worth. i hate the pence deal, for $34 should be able to get a better lpayer then pence. and another thing is mccarthy, bourjos, kendrick, ackley they were honestly your best keepers or did it for the money?

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=442522
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby mpieco » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:30 pm

In terms of value, I only really have 2 questions.

Why 34 for Pence? Was he the last OF on the "tier" that you wanted to draft from? Or did you willingly give up that much? While he's a solid player who fills out all the cats, he doesn't fill them out THAT much...

And secondly...Mauer for 12? When you already had kept Wieters for 12?

Other than that, nice job. I especially like getting King Felix for 7 less than Lincecum.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jbird669 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:14 pm

The keepers (McCarthy, Bourjos) were for money mroe than anything else.

As for Mauer, once he came up, a run of catchers started, to the point of Soto going for $10. Since, in my league, Mauer qualifies at 1B as well as catcher, I can start him in my utility spot. If he bounces back, he could be a good trade chip.

Pence was the last best player in that tier. The rest of the top tier OFs were kept and I got Upton before Pence. We went from 4 OFs to 5 in our starting lineup, so I wanted to make sure I got a good core there. I did overpay but I now think I have a pretty good OF compared to much of my leaguemates.

I couldn't get Andrus because he was kept. I wasn't paying $32 for HanRam (he went for $31) or $12 for Dee Gordon and the other top SS players were kept. It was Ramirez then bench guys.

Jansen will be closing this year at some point so I think I paid a good price, same with Pestano. Like I said, guys like Sergio Romo went for $6 so I think those prices are bargains.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joeyg2323 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:21 pm

jbird669 wrote:The keepers (McCarthy, Bourjos) were for money mroe than anything else.

As for Mauer, once he came up, a run of catchers started, to the point of Soto going for $10. Since, in my league, Mauer qualifies at 1B as well as catcher, I can start him in my utility spot. If he bounces back, he could be a good trade chip.

Pence was the last best player in that tier. The rest of the top tier OFs were kept and I got Upton before Pence. We went from 4 OFs to 5 in our starting lineup, so I wanted to make sure I got a good core there. I did overpay but I now think I have a pretty good OF compared to much of my leaguemates.

I couldn't get Andrus because he was kept. I wasn't paying $32 for HanRam (he went for $31) or $12 for Dee Gordon and the other top SS players were kept. It was Ramirez then bench guys.

Jansen will be closing this year at some point so I think I paid a good price, same with Pestano. Like I said, guys like Sergio Romo went for $6 so I think those prices are bargains.

ok i guess i understand the high prices on RP but jansen i doubt will close jay will handle LA just fine. hanley for $32 is way better then pence for $34, that gives you $16 for another OF which i think Hanley and someone like JD martinez( who prolly would have coust you at most $6) is better then ALexi and pence.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbird669 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:04 am

joeyg2323 wrote:
jbird669 wrote:The keepers (McCarthy, Bourjos) were for money mroe than anything else.

ok i guess i understand the high prices on RP but jansen i doubt will close jay will handle LA just fine. hanley for $32 is way better then pence for $34, that gives you $16 for another OF which i think Hanley and someone like JD martinez( who prolly would have coust you at most $6) is better then ALexi and pence.

All of my research, including experts, say Jensen has better skills to close and it's a matter of time. Still, with no IP min/max, he'll help my WHIP and ERA. JD Martinez was kept, so he wasn't an option.
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joeyg2323 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:57 am

how many teams are in your league?
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jbird669 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:41 am

joeyg2323 wrote:how many teams are in your league?

12 teams.
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joeyg2323 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:44 am

jbird669 wrote:
joeyg2323 wrote:how many teams are in your league?

12 teams.

So 120 players were kept? Guessing a lot of people ranked outside 120 were kept because of value reasons?
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions