Trying to rebuild last place team. Off to a decent start??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Trying to rebuild last place team. Off to a decent start???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trying to rebuild last place team. Off to a decent start???

Postby Pack83 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:12 am

I'm taking over a team that finished dead last a year ago winning all of 57 games and 85 games out of first. We're able to keep as few as zero players and as many as seven. We start C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTIL, UTIL, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P. Stat categories are R, HR, Hits, RBI, SB, AVG for offense and W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP for pitchers. This is a 12 team H2H league. So, obviously massive rebuilding needs to be done here and I'm wondering what kind of start you all think I'm off to after the draft last night. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Drop a link and I'll hit you up too.

C: Napoli (3rd round keeper)
1B: Michael Morse
2B: Ackley
3B: Headley, Daniel Murphy
SS: Reyes, Alexi Ramirez
OF: Berkman, Hart, Swisher, Rios, Austin Jackson, Quentin
SP: Kershaw, Price, Cain (5th round keeper), Beckett, Hellickson
RP: Storen, Putz, Nathan
Last edited by Pack83 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pack83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trying to rebuild last place team. Off to a decent start

Postby chump dumper » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:17 am

Not bad so far......but 3b needs help.
I would drop Ramirez and add Aybar if available.
OF needs help too.......too many guys with low average and high strikeout rate.
Trade Beckett and Hellickson to upgrade position players.
chump dumper
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thatguysound » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:54 am

Not a bad start for sure. Are you hoping to win this year, or hoping to position yourself for a run in 2013? I would hope you're looking to continue the rebuild this season.

Like the above poster, 3B seems to be your weak point. I'm also not completely sold on your OF's. 1B should be solid this year, but Morse is nothing to think about keeping long term.

The strength of your team right now is the pitching - the rotation in particular. Hang on to Kershaw at all costs, but other than that, I'd look to package any of your other SP's for an keeper at 3B, OF, or 1B.

Your biggest trade chip might be Napoli. His value is never going to be higher than it is right now, and I don't think you can look at him as a legit keeper for more than another year or so at best. I think Napoli plus one of your SP's could definitely get you a piece or two that you'll want to keep for years to come. You'll just have to wait and see how the season develops to take advantage of a contender hurting for pitching and/or catching help.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby LARS929 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:02 pm

I think in your position, and with your team, you need to focus on 2013. You don't have a bad team, but you just don't have enough to win the league unless something crazy happens. Just next to no power throughout, which is the death of a team. Really it's tough because you came in taking over a bad team. I'd make sure that you DO NOT move Ackley, Kershaw or Price this season. They are only going to get better and can be the building blocks of your team.

Look to move Napoli if you can, he should return more in a trade than he's going to help you long term. You may lose some current value, but try to get someone younger with some 2013 upside. Maybe Brett Lawrie if possible, or even Carlos Santana would be a good deal there.

Just be patient with this team and load up for 2013. Trade for picks even if you can.
LARS929
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pack83 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:38 pm

I really don't expect to win the league this year. I'd be happy to grab a playoff spot (8 of 12 make it) and build for 2013. I appreciate the idea of moving Napoli. I almost didn't even keep him due to his 3rd round price tag but he was the only hitter worth anything that I had to choose from and I wanted to have something on my roster going into the draft. I traded for Cain before the draft giving up Strassburg for him and a 6th round pick. I agree that 3B is a problem. I just couldn't find any value at that position when my turns in the draft came up so I kept pushing it back and pushing it back until I finally had to take Headley with my second to last pick. Any other thoughts??
"I've seen that there is evil, I know that there is good and the inbetweens I've never understood."
Pack83
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thatguysound » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Is Trumbo available? He will qualify at 3B soon.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team