Interesting 1st Round Questions WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Interesting 1st Round Questions WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting 1st Round Questions WHIR

Postby slomojo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:00 am

I'm in a keeper league, head-to-head, 10 teams, R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP and W, K, SV, ERA, WHIP

Here's my lineup heading into the draft (with the corresponding rounds that they count for):

C
1B Miguel Cabrera (2nd Round)
2B
3B
SS
OF Carlos Gonzalez (3rd Round)
OF Justin Upton (5th Round)
OF Curtis Granderson (10th Round)
UTIL

It's my turn to draft my draft slot: I have the 2nd, 4th, and 8th pick to choose from.

The team with the 3rd pick has no first round pick. There will be another team with no first round pick that takes one of the two draft slots left after I pick mine.

Here are the top hitters left on the board that I'm considering for the first round. Remember, I won't pick again until the 4th round.

Albert Pujols
Joey Votto
Adrian Gonzalez
Evan Longoria
Robinson Cano
Hanley Ramirez

The question is, which draft slot would you pick, and which player would you go for? Both questions are kind of dependent on one another. If I take the 8th slot, I am guaranteed to get one of the players on the above list because two teams will have no first round pick. Taking the 8th pick would also give me an earlier pick in the 4th round.

Then there's the question of Miguel Cabrera. I'd happy take Gonzalez/Votto and play Cabrera at 3B. I'd also be happy to play Cabrera at 1B and Longoria at 3B. There are so many possibilities, what would you do? I probably won't get Votto or Gonzalez at the 8th pick. I'm really high on AGonz this year.

All help is much appreciated, and I will help in return if you leave a link.
slomojo
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interesting 1st Round Questions WHIR

Postby mikekim2121 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:19 am

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but I would probably take the 4th pick. That way, you could end up with one of those top 1b's no matter what since at least 1 spot will be skipped.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby slomojo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:05 am

Yeah, the third pick in the draft has no first round pick, so taking the 4th pick guarantees me either Pujols, Votto, or Gonzalez. The question is if it's important for me to grab one of those top 1Bs, or should I be happy taking the other players on the list.
slomojo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 am

Take the 8th spot. This will still give you one of those studs while also giving you a pick 4 picks later. You already have a 1B and any one of those 6 guys would be great to have.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 281)

Postby jefferey13 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:21 am

I'd be tempted to take 4th and get Cano.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joeyg2323 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 am

go with the 4th or 8th pick,get yourself cano(ive seen him go anywhere from 2nd-10th this year). cano is better then votto and agon and is at a weaker position for fantasy. taking the 8th pick yourll get hanley, hanley is also at a weak position for fantasy. you already have migs at first and even if you wanted to you can grab hosmer or freeman in the later rounds where each will give you atleast 20 and 80.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=442522
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Ehlana » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:38 am

I think I'd take the 4th pick and I'd rank those players:

Cano
Ramirez
Pujols
Gonzalez
Votto
Longoria

If you get a 1B you can move Cabrera to 3rd, but I'd prioritize getting one of the MI, which is why I'd take 4th over 8th. Taking the 8th spot means you just end up grabbing whoever's left, and while that's a good player, I'd rather have a choice in the matter.
(\ _ /)
(='.'=)
(")_(")*
Ehlana
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)

Postby slomojo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm hesitant to go after Cano because I feel that 2B is a deep position this year.

Hosmer is also off the board, so I feel that 1B may be a little weak as well. If I don't go 1B in Round 1, then Cabrera most certainly will lock in as my 1B.

I think Gonzalez can make a run at the homerun title this year with a healthy shoulder. That's why I'm tempted to go 4th pick and grab him and move Cabrera to 3B.

But I understand the position scarcity at SS, so maybe waiting at 8th is not a bad idea. If I end up with Hanley, I probably have the best available shortstop (Tulowitzki is not on the board).

Decisions, decisions ...
slomojo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joeyg2323 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:13 pm

2b is a deep postion? 2b has 10 guys in the top 100 as 1b has 19 in the top 100. Cano is the best player on the board besides pujols who will be the first pick.

cano is your best option, and his numbers will just increase batting 3rd or 4th this year.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:21 pm

joeyg2323 wrote:2b is a deep postion? 2b has 10 guys in the top 100 as 1b has 19 in the top 100. Cano is the best player on the board besides pujols who will be the first pick.

cano is your best option, and his numbers will just increase batting 3rd or 4th this year.

2B is deep. 10 guys in the top 100 is quite a lot.
I have never seen 2B deeper.

OBA is a catergory, which Cano is not great at.
I take Agon.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions