2 Catcher in Deep League - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

2 Catcher in Deep League

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2 Catcher in Deep League

Postby Halo Homers » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:29 pm

I play in a deep 2 catcher 5x5 roto league. I waited a bit too long on catcher #2 and ended up with Rod Barajas. At least he's starting in Pittsburgh this year, and better park than LAD. Still his batting average will wreck that category, so I'm looking at possible replacements. Here is what is on the wavier wire.

1) Jose Molina (TB)- He's the #1 catcher in Tampa this year. Hit .281 last year but that was largely due to a unsustainable .361 BABIP.

2) Ryan Hannigan (CIN) - Has solid batting average , walks a lot with 10 HR power if he gets playing time. Uber prospect Devin Mesocaro is the other catcher. Will Hannigan get at least a split of the playing time? Dusty does love his vets.

3) Jason Castro (Hou) - Projects as a high average (.300) low power type catcher, but has yet to display it in the majors.

4) Willin Rosario (Col) - Colorado uber prospect. Does he stick with the club, and supplant Ramon Hernandez? Hernandez already battling injuries. Will Nievas is the other backup catcher option.

Should I stick with Barajas, or go after one of these options?

As always, WHIR.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2 Catcher in Deep League

Postby midwestpatsfan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks for looking at mine.
I do not play in this deep of a league so this might not work, but could it be possible to stream your second catcher like some do with pitching.
Since your options are limited, Go with Molina first and see if the magic is still there from last season, if not, rotate with the hot guy that is out there throughout the season.

I hope this helps.
midwestpatsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MaudDib » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:21 pm

I think I would take Castro. The Cinncy job will probably be split and the Colorado job will either be split or Rosario will be sent down. I don't like Molina all that much but he would be #2 on this list just because he should be the #1 guy.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby DaveClay12 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks for your help... In the short term, I'd stick with Barajas.. His BA sucks, but if it's a deep league, it won't "kill" you, and he always has good power numbers, and going from LA to Pitt can only improve them.

In the long run, I love Rosario, but I don't think he'll be the full-time starter until/unless the Rox are in contention and their current options display their weaknesses (which they will eventually).
Thank you to soty for hooking me up with another awesome sig!
DaveClay12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sigriffey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Without knowing more about these guys, I would opt for the high average guy that will get playing time. That sounds like Castro.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby baseballfanTigers » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:00 pm

I would take Castro as well. Good average and gets playing time.

I don't see Hannigan (Mesoraco prospect) or Rosario getting the playing time you need. I also don't trust too much in Molina.
baseballfanTigers
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 19)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:13 pm

sigriffey wrote:Without knowing more about these guys, I would opt for the high average guy that will get playing time. That sounds like Castro.

I have to agree with this statement.

I play in 12 team 2 catcher leagues and all these guys are on the WW, so I'm the best to ask here.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 172)

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:20 pm

In part it depends on the rest of your roster. Do you need power? If so then Barajas is your best bet. His power will be sapped a bit by being older and now in PNC..not a great place to hit for power. Snyder is also gonna take some starts away from him. He will stink for average though so he can hurt you there.

If you don't need the power, I'd grab another guy with better average who may not get you the counting stats, but he won't "hurt" you with a horrible average either. I've found at times a catcher who only plays once a week is better than a guy who plays 5 days a week and sucks it up. None of those are great options, but in a vacuum I'd take Barajas.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby billycent » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 pm

I would stick w/Barajas for the time being as I don't see how a 350 AB catcher can kill u in BA. Plus u know he'll get the playing time and deliver 15-20 jacks, a .240 MAYBE .250ish BA isn't unattainable either (ur prob getting .220 - .230 though... HA!). That being said, I would def keep an eye on those other options as I don't think the streaming suggestion was a bad 1. Thnx for the help on mine.
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions