the Superhype Machine: young talents - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

the Superhype Machine: young talents

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

the Superhype Machine: young talents

Postby Mjbren1 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:53 pm

I did three drafts this weekend, two 12 teams, and a 20. All 3 Brett Lawrie was so horribly reached for im talking 2nd round in a 12 teamer and 3rd round in the other 2. It's ridiculous, I saw Stanton go 12th and 14th this weekend as well. Explain this to me, I like these kids as much as the next guy but when Stanton goes before Votto and Lawrie before Beltre you are just being stupid.
Mjbren1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: the Superhype Machine: young talents

Postby MaudDib » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:54 pm

People get all worked up over young talent that it gets crazy. They think that if they take Lawrie and then he turns into a Braun/Pujols they can claim that they new this all along. Problem is that it doesn't work out very often. At the point that you start taking a guy like Lawrie in the 2nd round, you are giving up any value you can get from the guy. Know he has to produce like a Votto or he is actually a bust for you no matter what kind of season he has. Drafting is all about value and getting the best player at the latest round possible. Sometimes you have to "reach" for a guy but only when you are sure he will still out produce that round.

I wrote an article/rant about this a few years ago. Heyward was going way too early and Price was getting no love. Heyward ending up with a good year but not enough for where he got drafted and Price went on to become an Ace for most staffs. Now Heyward is getting no love and Lawrie and Hosmer are the new "Next " players. Heyward will probably have a pretty good year and make people wish they hadn't passed him up and at least one of the two above will not full-fill all the dreams.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Darvish is the winner here for me.
I agree on Lawrie, but i take Lawrie or Stanton, way above Darvish.
I see Darvish at the 25th best sp at best.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Halo Homers » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Its a bit more understandable with Stanton. He's at least got a full year in the majors and proven that his power stroke is legit. Being drafted ahead of Votto makes no sense however.

Lawrie is the interesting one for me. He only has 160 AB in the majors. He could be this year's Jason Heyward IMO. At least he's in a hitters park surrounded by a good lineup. Heyward was being depended on much more last year. Lawrie won't face the same level of pressure in Toronto.

Please help with mine.

viewtopic.php?t=442432
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 126)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions