How to Improve This Staff? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

How to Improve This Staff? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to Improve This Staff? WHIR

Postby sigriffey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:30 pm

I like my team overall, but in the past I have won on account of having a host of legit aces at the top. I think I can afford to assemble a host of #2/#3 starters to achieve a similar effect, but I need some advice. I can leverage Torii Hunter + a SP to get a guy a tier above. Any suggestions on who to include and what kind of pitcher to target?

Some deals I have on the table that a guy is mulling are:

Hunter/Romero for Kennedy/McCarthy
Hunter/M.Cain for Kershaw
Hunter/Anibal Sanchez for Kennedy/McCarthy

Any ideas on how I could push something through? I'd love to shed Colby Lewis or Anibal somehow as I simply trust them less. But I could be misguided on that.

12 Team H2H Daily with 6 Keepers Season to Season, each for 3 years max. * means a keeper entering this season
Stat Categories: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG -- IP, CG, W, L, ER, ERA, K, SV, WHIP

MY TEAM

C Alex Avila
1B Prince Fielder*
2B Dustin Pedroia*
3B Miguel Cabrera*
SS Hanley Ramirez*
OF Jacoby Ellsbury*
OF B.J. Upton
OF Torii Hunter
UT Mike Moustakis
UT Jesus Montero
UT Austin Jackson
BN Lorenzo Cain
BN Colby Rasmus

SP Roy Halladay*
SP Matt Cain
SP Ricky Romero
RP Jose Valverde
RP Grant Balfour
P Aroldis Chapman
P Anibal Sanchez
P Brandon Beachy
BN Colby Lewis
BN Vance Worley
BN Mark Buehrle
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to Improve This Staff? WHIR

Postby javens » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:41 pm

I would use your offense to make a trade, considering how strong it is. If I were you I would consider dealing Ellsbury for a Verlander or Kershaw straight up. I think Ellsbury's SB's might take a dip considering how important to the offense he has become. That said, I don't think a move is absolutely necessary. In a 12 team league, Halladay/Cain/Romero is a pretty solid top 3 considering how good your offense is.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=442397
javens
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Halo Homers » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Given that your stacked in the OF, there are two ways you could approach this:

1) Wait until the season starts. I think Cain and Rasmus will perform better than their pre season ADP, which will make them very attractive. You could then pair them with a lesser pitcher, and like Lewis and Burhele, and upgrade that way.

2) The other option is to strike now. I like the Hunter/Romero for Kennedy/McCarthy if you can swing it. I don't think a savvy owner would bite at that, but worth a try.

I personally like option 1, just because I think your OF will look even more loaded to other owners once the season starts.

Please help with mine.

viewtopic.php?t=442432
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby sigriffey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Halo Homers wrote:Given that your stacked in the OF, there are two ways you could approach this:

1) Wait until the season starts. I think Cain and Rasmus will perform better than their pre season ADP, which will make them very attractive. You could then pair them with a lesser pitcher, and like Lewis and Burhele, and upgrade that way.

2) The other option is to strike now. I like the Hunter/Romero for Kennedy/McCarthy if you can swing it. I don't think a savvy owner would bite at that, but worth a try.

I personally like option 1, just because I think your OF will look even more loaded to other owners once the season starts.

Please help with mine.

viewtopic.php?t=442432

This guy just offered me this deal. Thoughts?

I give: Cain, Romero and Montero
I get: Papi, Hamels and Jordan Zimmermann

I am not wild about giving up Cain AND Romero.... thoughts?
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby MaudDib » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:02 pm

sigriffey wrote:
Halo Homers wrote:Given that your stacked in the OF, there are two ways you could approach this:

Please help with mine.

viewtopic.php?t=442432

I kind of like it. Hamels is better than Cain and Zimmermann is better than Romero. You don't need Montero and Papi fills your util just as well.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby sigriffey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:04 pm

MaudDib wrote:
sigriffey wrote:

Please help with mine.

viewtopic.php?t=442432

I kind of like it. Hamels is better than Cain and Zimmermann is better than Romero. You don't need Montero and Papi fills your util just as well.

That was the big mystery for me ... is Zimmermann better than Romero? If so, maybe it's not so bad then. Should I take it?
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby mpieco » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:05 pm

It'd be nice to throw Hamels on your team, but at the expense of Cain? I don't know. I'm not so sure that latest offer is an improvement for you. I think you end up moving sideways. For all we know Montero could be a keeper on your team for next year. Are you bringing any keepers on? I guess Hamels could be a keeper in theory, but I don't think you'd end up keeping a second pitcher over a 5th bat (is Halladay done after this year?)

I'd try to bring on Kennedy/McCarthy. Hunter is easily replaced, and Romero I can take or leave. I'm higher on the two you're getting back.
(In reference to an Aaron Hill for David Price swap)

twinkypoop wrote:
mpieco wrote: You're my new hero if that gets accepted.

Trade accepted! Thanks for the help!
mpieco
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions