New to ROTO wondering about bench strategy (drafting soon!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

New to ROTO wondering about bench strategy (drafting soon!)

New to ROTO wondering about bench strategy (drafting soon!)

Postby garretterik » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:12 pm

I am a noobie in a standard yahoo 5x5 league. My question is what is the strategy for the bench? (And for that matter Ps) I was thinking 3 position and 2 pitchers and divide ps evenly by SP and RP.
Any tips. Thanks!

Roster Positions:
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL

Batters Stat Categories:
Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG)
Pitchers Stat Categories:
Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)
garretterik Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: New to ROTO wondering about bench strategy (drafting so

Postby mikekim2121 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:43 am

For hitters, having positional flexibility gets a slight boost, especially if there are maximum games played limits for each position.

For pitchers, if there is a max IP, it essentially turns into a K/9 scenario. Be smart with your starting pitchers, don't hesitate benching one of your fringe guys against a powerhouse team because its a lot worse to take a pounding than it is to miss out on a great start. Try to get 3 respectable closers.

In general, try to have balance, and aim to finish in the top 75% in each category. You don't need to win all 10 cats to win a league.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New to ROTO wondering about bench strategy (drafting so

Postby KHI » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:13 pm

If there are any hitters on the waiver wire that have similar potential or projections to one of your bench hitters, then I think that bench hitter isn't worth holding.

Having fewer bench hitters allows you to be more decisive, you can pick up a hot bat and not over-think "I am prematurely cutting a useful guy:

High ratio middle relievers/ potential closers are useful and usually available on the waiver wire and can be in your pitcher slots when starters aren't playing.

With bench hitters, unless you're doing a platoon, its more of an insurance against slow starts
KHI
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Beginner's Forum