New to ROTO wondering about bench strategy (drafting soon!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

New to ROTO wondering about bench strategy (drafting soon!)

New to ROTO wondering about bench strategy (drafting soon!)

Postby garretterik » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:12 pm

I am a noobie in a standard yahoo 5x5 league. My question is what is the strategy for the bench? (And for that matter Ps) I was thinking 3 position and 2 pitchers and divide ps evenly by SP and RP.
Any tips. Thanks!

Roster Positions:
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL

Batters Stat Categories:
Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG)
Pitchers Stat Categories:
Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)
garretterik Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: New to ROTO wondering about bench strategy (drafting so

Postby mikekim2121 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:43 am

For hitters, having positional flexibility gets a slight boost, especially if there are maximum games played limits for each position.

For pitchers, if there is a max IP, it essentially turns into a K/9 scenario. Be smart with your starting pitchers, don't hesitate benching one of your fringe guys against a powerhouse team because its a lot worse to take a pounding than it is to miss out on a great start. Try to get 3 respectable closers.

In general, try to have balance, and aim to finish in the top 75% in each category. You don't need to win all 10 cats to win a league.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New to ROTO wondering about bench strategy (drafting so

Postby KHI » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:13 pm

If there are any hitters on the waiver wire that have similar potential or projections to one of your bench hitters, then I think that bench hitter isn't worth holding.

Having fewer bench hitters allows you to be more decisive, you can pick up a hot bat and not over-think "I am prematurely cutting a useful guy:

High ratio middle relievers/ potential closers are useful and usually available on the waiver wire and can be in your pitcher slots when starters aren't playing.

With bench hitters, unless you're doing a platoon, its more of an insurance against slow starts
KHI
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Beginner's Forum