2nd Year Player, PLEASE rate my team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

2nd Year Player, PLEASE rate my team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2nd Year Player, PLEASE rate my team

Postby Devil Doc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:33 pm

*Start Up League* Its a 10 team 2 player keeper league (no restrictions on keepers), 5x5 scoring and I had the #4 overall pick.

Starters: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, MI, CI, 3OF, 2UTIL - 5 SP, 2 RP, 2P - 7 Bench Spots

I posted something earlier about taking J.Upton with my 4th pick, and the consensus was to take a top tier guy. I went with a hunch and took upton instead. Here's how the rest of my draft finished.

My own views:
-I waited too long on 1B, and ended up with Ike Davis, but I'm not too disapointed on that. Guy was putting up strong numbers before going down last year.
-I was really surprised to see Posey there for me at 124, and couldn't help but take him.
-I'm pretty sure I reached for Gamel and Harper, and more than likely could have gotten them much later. I missed out on Moustakas and Luke Doka with those two picks. The more I think about it, I probably could have scored Gamel off the WW.
-I feel I have to give myself a B overall. Could have done better in the middle rounds of the draft. But I think my first 10-11 picks were solid.

C: C. Santana, B. Posey
1B: I. Davis, J. Morneau, M. Gamel, B. Belt
2B: J. Weeks, A. Hill
3B: B. Lawrie, S. Rodriguez
SS: E. Andrus, S. Rodriguez
OF: J. Upton, CarGo, D. Jennings, B. Belt, V. Wells, B. Harper

SP: F. Hernandez, C. Hamels, M. Bumgarner, B. Beachy, J. Johnson, C. Carpenter, E. Jackson, J. Parker, J. Niese
RP: J. Motte, J. Walden, S. Santos

I'm not very good at grading drafts, but I promise to add some input the best I can! So I will definitly return the favor...as always thanks fellas for always taking time and helping me out! ;-D
Devil Doc Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2nd Year Player, PLEASE rate my team

Postby Devil Doc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:48 am

Bump
Devil Doc Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shmity72 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:17 am

i'm not too high on the upton pick but sometimes 'most'...of the time, our gut picks are what win us championships rather than what the 'experts' say, i've found. wow that was a run on sentence.

i really really like your pitching staff and if you think ike does it for you at first base then more power to you...i'd give you a solid b only because you stayed the course of what you wanted and your pitching staff is really good.

also i had buster on my team last year drafted him like 2nd or 3rd round he'll really produce this year after freak accident. ;-D
matchups
shmity72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby thatguysound » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:04 am

If its a keeper league, I don't think you can complain about taking Upton with the pick. I would not be surprised at all if he becomes the top player in fantasy, possibly as early as this year.

I think you've got enough depth at 1B to cover yourself. You'll just have to be extra diligent about riding the hot bat. I reached a bit for Gamel too - here's hoping he's more than just a Four-A player. Spring looks good for him so far. Maybe he can be Ryan Howard to Fielder's Jim Thome.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 34)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goatrider » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:29 am

Thanks for the help on mine!

I like your team. I don't mind the Upton pick. Since you're not penalized a draft pick, I think you get high-end production this year with a nice keeper for next. Especially with Cargo at pick 17. Don't know what it's worth, but he was most expensive player in my NL league. Pitching is sweet, especially if JJ stays and Carp gets healthy. Think that Carp pick is a reach, but high reward. As you know, your Beachy and Ike picks were nice. From what I have read Lawrie has been going in Rd four and Posey was a steal especially with Santana on board (possible trade bait later on using one of those guys). B+, I likie.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 47)

Postby AmazinSiddFinch » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:34 am

I like this team a lot. You have no real weakness. Ike is a good pickup for the value you can get for him. I'm thinking monster number for him this year and possibly an All-Star. I wish I had a good negative or two for you, but I kinda don't. I mean Josh is an innjury risk and Carpenter is hurt, but those are good pickups. Niese had a nose job and can breathe better and is in better shape so look for a breakout from him.

Take a look at mine?
viewtopic.php?t=442376
AmazinSiddFinch
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:51 pm

for a ten team league i dont like it at all. pitching is the best aspect of your team. advantage is you can move santana to 1st and get ike out of your lineup. reached WAY TO HIGH for gamel and harper. prolly missed out on some key players. trade cargo for your needs no point in having him when yourll want to keep lawrie or santana after this season.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=442384
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

Postby thatguysound » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:18 pm

joeyg2323 wrote:for a ten team league i dont like it at all. pitching is the best aspect of your team. advantage is you can move santana to 1st and get ike out of your lineup. reached WAY TO HIGH for gamel and harper. prolly missed out on some key players. trade cargo for your needs no point in having him when yourll want to keep lawrie or santana after this season.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=442384

LOL... Are you in his league? You don't like it "at all"?

If you want to trade CarGo because you're only keeping one OF, do it at the end of the season. Or do it over the winter if your leagues allows offseason trades. But you can't go wrong with having Upton AND CarGo in your OF, and unless there's some league rule prohibiting you from keeping 2 OF's, there would be no shame in keeping CarGo over either Lawrie OR Santana at this point.

Davis is an injury risk until he proves otherwise, but if you're going to go with 1B by committee, then I think those are as good a foursome to choose from as any.

2B is the biggest area of concern.
As of 8/4/13
C:Napoli 1B:Goldshmidt 2B:Kinsler, Gyorko SS:Tulo, Profar 3B:Longoria, Machado, Middlebrooks OF:Harper, J. Upton, AGon, R. Davis, Venable SP:Scherzer, Minor, Ryu, E.Santana, Beachy, Samardzja, J.Johnson (DL), T.Ross RP:Perez, Rodney, Farquar
thatguysound
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 34)

Postby aerrico » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:49 am

I think that the pitching is a REALLY big strength in a ten team league.

However, in terms of grading the draft..

Early Rounds :I'm not a big fan of that first pick as I think there had to have been better options available, even given the keeper aspect of the league. Tulowitzki, Braun, Kemp, Cano, and Votto are all better fantasy players than Upton in my opinion, and they are all young as well so will be able to provide production for more than just the next couple of years. CarGo is a solid pick. I think you reached a bit for starting pitching early on in the draft, and am not a huge fan of drafting two starting pitchers back to back in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Lawrie and Carlos Santana are fine picks in those spots, and I think getting a young catcher is a pretty nice advantage in keeper leagues considering it is always the shallowest position. The next 5-6 rounds look okay to me, grabbing some pretty nice options here. I think that reaching for pitching too early resulted in you not being able to grab a better 1B than Ike Davis as your starter. I actually own Ike Davis on two of my teams this year and think he's undervalued, but he's much more suitable for the CI spot than the 1B spot. However, you really solidified your starting pitching and outfield in these rounds... the problem I have with that is that they are such deep positions that it wasn't necessary to fill these spots so early by sacrificing some other positions (such as 1B and 2B).

Middle Rounds: I'm not sure who was available at some of these points, but Jemile Weeks as your starting 2B is borderline unacceptable in a ten team league. Again, he's much more suitable for a MI or UTIL spot than a true starting spot. I like the Posey pick more than some people because I think he can definitely be trade bait at some point, especially in a keeper league... I'm okay with taking such a valuable guy so late there. This is similar to the Josh Johnson pick, where I think you're getting such value that it's okay to take him. After this, it is where it really starts to get bad: Gamel and Harper are pretty awful reaches, even in a keeper league. Considering that at this point you were pretty weak offensively, you continued to add pitching which really is not good here. If Aaron Hill were the best 2B available at that point I think he's okay to take because Weeks just isn't great so it's okay to have two bad options than one I guess.

Late Rounds: I like Morneau, but I think you reached a bit for him there. I think Niese and Sean Rodriguez are really solid picks at that ponit in the draft. Vernon Wells is kind of a head scratcher, even as your last pick.

Overall Team: The starting pitching is your obvious strength. It is filled with quality aces, has a ton of keeper value, and is REALLY deep. The offense, however, which is where most of your fantasy value should be, is pretty weak in a 10 team league. Considering how deep your starting pitching is, I would consider packaging two of your pitchers to go get a middle infielder, as you are in desperate need for a starting 2B. 1B and 2B are really weak, but the rest of your offensive positions look okay. The outfield and catching positions are obvious strengths, but there will be lots of guys available on the waiver wire throughout the year at the OF position so it may be worth it to package Posey / Santana with an OF to go get a 1B. If you are able to move some players to fill 1B and 2B, the offense should be a lot better. The starting pitching should still be fairly good/deep even if you trade a few starters, you have two really quality catchers, and you can afford to trade one outfielder.
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 56)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team