Draft in 45 mins - #4 pick - Justin Upton at #4? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Draft in 45 mins - #4 pick - Justin Upton at #4?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Draft in 45 mins - #4 pick - Justin Upton at #4?

Postby Beeblebrox » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Tulo isn't even on my radar anywhere in the top 10. Let someone else deal with his constant nagging injuries.

In an unrestricted keeper league, I don't see any problem with Upton at #4. Especially if you truly believe the league will stay intact and not dissolve 2-3 years down the line.
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jefferey13 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:52 pm

footballisbetter.com wrote:My draft starts in 7 minutes, and I just found out that i have the #4 pick also. I am prepared to take Tulo, assuming MIggy, Pujois and Kemp go top 3.

Braun > Tulo, and that goes for the OP too, Braun > Upton.

Braun has always been the better player
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby footballisbetter.com » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:16 pm

jefferey13 wrote:
footballisbetter.com wrote:My draft starts in 7 minutes, and I just found out that i have the #4 pick also. I am prepared to take Tulo, assuming MIggy, Pujois and Kemp go top 3.

Braun > Tulo, and that goes for the OP too, Braun > Upton.

Braun has always been the better player

Braun scares me a little that high this year. Dealing with the dirty urine questions all season may get to him. I went with Tulo.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:30 pm

so who do you end up taking and who was taking be4 you?
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:36 pm

In a keeper, i'm taking Tulo/Kemp/ or Upton at 4, if Miggy is gone.
Pujols is nice, but for how long?
Tulo might miss some games, but nobody is heads above his position like he is.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Devil Doc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:40 pm

joeyg2323 wrote:so who do you end up taking and who was taking be4 you?

The first 3 picks went Miggy, Pujols, Kemp....

I went back and forth with Upton and Braun, and ended up taking Upton with my pick. I took a couple of different things to factor this decision. Upton is young, only 24, and finished 4th in NLMVP voting, and long term I think he's going to eventually be rated higher than Braun/Cano/Tulo, whether its this year or next. I was really apprehensive about Braun. How will he handle the push back of being accused of PEDS, or can he handle that? And if he truly was (regardless of being found not guilty of), I would almost like to believe you'll see a drop in numbers. One of the other factors I took, he no longer has Fielder hitting behind him. I think he saw better pitches knowing he had Fielder there. He's projected to be hitting #4 this year, and without that big power bat in the lineup behind him, I honestly forsee his numbers drop.

I did end up with CarGo with my 2nd pick too.

Here's the rest of my squad.

Rest of team
Devil Doc Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:45 pm

Braun does have A. Ramirez behind him, who isnt fielder but still can rack the ball. upton isnt a bad choice but still would have went with braun or cano over him. Braun is the reigning MVP and isnt old at all and is a 30/30 guy for the next few season. and Cano can get a 100 rbis by accident in that lineup. Moving him this year to the 3rd or 4th spot in the lineup will just increase his numbers im expecting a 310/35/120 line from him. but you really cant go wrong with upton.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=442384
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby pjs1856 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:56 pm

My personal rankings go

Kemp
MIggy
Bruan
kershaw
Verlander
Ellsbury - but for this type of league i'd devalue the heck out of pitchign...

so that being said - I would go Braun over Upton personally however it is your team and you sound like you are trying to find someone to convince you otherwise. i have concerns on Upton's strike out rates but his park, age, 5 cat help all are in +++ for him. So if you want em go grab em! But he could also be the guy this year who's a top 10 pick who craps on himself :/
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Devil Doc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:28 pm

pjs1856 wrote:My personal rankings go

Kemp
MIggy
Bruan
kershaw
Verlander
Ellsbury - but for this type of league i'd devalue the heck out of pitchign...

so that being said - I would go Braun over Upton personally however it is your team and you sound like you are trying to find someone to convince you otherwise. i have concerns on Upton's strike out rates but his park, age, 5 cat help all are in +++ for him. So if you want em go grab em! But he could also be the guy this year who's a top 10 pick who craps on himself :/

I wouldn't say I'm trying to convince myself or be convinced one way or the other. I just really enjoy different perspectives, and want to get better as a fantasy baseball player, this is only my 2nd year and consider myself very young in baseball knowledge.

I never thought about the devalue of pitching in any league, can you please explain so I understand better? :-?
Devil Doc Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pjs1856 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:34 pm

I wouldn't say I'm trying to convince myself or be convinced one way or the other. I just really enjoy different perspectives, and want to get better as a fantasy baseball player, this is only my 2nd year and consider myself very young in baseball knowledge.

I never thought about the devalue of pitching in any league, can you please explain so I understand better? :-?[/quote]

Sure - IMO - there are a lot more SP that can be had then position players that can contribute. In the last 5 or 6 years (since the end of the roid era) its harder to find HR/R/AVE/RBI - and conversly easier to find ERA WHIP K's - so I would devalue SP especially.

My personall rankings are done via a forumla i created for my league that tries to take all of that into account. Its purely numeric so i don't do anything to move guys up or down.

this is about my 8th year playing and i'm in a 15 team league for some decent cheddar so I take it a bit too seriously....

PM me if you want to discuss more....
pjs1856
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions