The Gambling Man's Rotation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

The Gambling Man's Rotation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Gambling Man's Rotation

Postby Beeblebrox » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:59 pm

10 teams, but with a lot of offensive spots to help expand the player pool. 5x5 scoring.

I'm not used to MI/CI spots, so maybe I over-drafted to fill those positions instead of grabbing some pitching, and now I'm left with a bunch of questions marks all throughout my pitching staff, from top to bottom.

On the plus side, I like my hitters (except for Crawford, which was a misclick. I meant to grab BJ Upton. I really didn't want to gamble on Crawford's health all season, but I guess I've done it now.)

C - Ryan Doumit (24.10)
1B - Miguel Cabrera (1.1)
2B - Dustin Pedroia (2.10)
SS - Hanley Ramirez (3.1)
3B - Pablo Sandoval (4.10)
CI - Billy Butler (10.10)
MI - Ben Zobrist (6.10)
OF - Jay Bruce (5.1)
OF - Shin-Soo Choo (7.1)
OF - Carl Crawford (8.10)
OF - Jayson Werth (12.10)
UT - Jesus Montero (14.10)
Bench -
Angel Pagan (23.1)

SP - Matt Moore (9.1)
SP - Adam Wainwright (11.1)
P - Brandon Beachy (13.1)
P - Brandon Morrow (15.1)
P - Jaime Garcia (16.10)
P - Max Scherzer (17.1)
RP - Sean Marshall (20.10)
RP - Greg Holland (21.1)
Bench -
Chris Sale (18.10)
Mike Minor (19.1)
Trevor Bauer (25.1)
Frank Francisco (22.10)

I guess I probably need to trade some lumber to get someone to stabilize that mess of a rotation, but I'm not sure who to part with....
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Gambling Man's Rotation

Postby MaudDib » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:58 pm

I would stay put. I think your pitching staff is fine. Outside of not have a true ace you have a lot of good arms with good upside. Beachy, Garcia and Minor are three of my "sleeper" pitchers. Morrow has a lot of upside. Wainwright could actually be your ace or maybe Moore.

I would let the season start and then look to see where your needs are. That pitching staff could really surprise you.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby jackie hayes » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:21 pm

Wait on it. Your starters may not be as dependable as you'd like, but I'm a fan of almost every pitcher there. If you need to make a trade, you can do so later. But for now -- barring a great offer in your favor -- I'd be happy just holding to see how things go. It's a very solid team.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 66)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:48 pm

I agree...stay put. And you really wanted BJ Upton over Crawford? A burning desire to get a 240 avg?
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 825)

Postby da bears » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:52 pm

Agree with the others here. No reason to trade a bat, at this pt at least. You on paper at least have a HUGE advantage with your bats, see how your pitchers pan out and then make a move if it is needed during the season.
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Beeblebrox » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:55 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:I agree...stay put. And you really wanted BJ Upton over Crawford? A burning desire to get a 240 avg?

More like a burning desire to get someone that will actually be on the field.

And I can't really help myself, I've already started looking at possible trades. I just love sitting at the trading desk. I sent out an offer of Zobrist/Scherzer for Haren/Alexei to a team that missed the draft. He can actually afford the hit at SP, and Zobrist would fill his empty 2B spot, so we'll see what happens.
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikekim2121 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:01 am

You might not have an ace but you have good depth at SP. I don't think you should be desperate to make a trade for an SP, unless you're getting back tremendous value
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:04 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:I agree...stay put. And you really wanted BJ Upton over Crawford? A burning desire to get a 240 avg?

And I can't really help myself, I've already started looking at possible trades. I just love sitting at the trading desk. I sent out an offer of Zobrist/Scherzer for Haren/Alexei to a team that missed the draft. He can actually afford the hit at SP, and Zobrist would fill his empty 2B spot, so we'll see what happens.

I am sure Adam Dunn nd Mark Reynolds were around if that is the only criteria and you wanted to tank your avg. Seriously, while I am down on Crawford this year as well and could see picking someone else in rounds 7-12 depending n your league, BJ Upton would not even be on the radar. I would take the chance on Crawford any day of the week before I stuck the k-happy, 250 challenged Upton on my roster but that is me. Obviously I do not like BJ Upton as I think he is one of the most overrated players on the draft board relative to his expected\median draft position. Others liek the guy and I have never understood why. If he was going round 12-14 it would be fine, but he goes round 5-9 usually and it is like saying I want to destroy my avg at the expense of some other very good player I could choose instead.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 825)

Postby Beeblebrox » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:07 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:

I am sure Adam Dunn nd Mark Reynolds were around if that is the only criteria and you wanted to tank your avg.

Dunn and Reynolds don't qualify in the OF...

Besides, with Miggy, Peds, and Panda....I figured I had enough AVG to compensate, and I like Upton's production in the other cats well enough.
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:02 am

Maybe try Crawford + pitcher for BJ Upton + pitcher, in the hopes the other guy sees Crawford as an upgrade? :-D
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 66)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions