Advice on Scoring Please - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Advice on Scoring Please

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice on Scoring Please

Postby mackster248 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Hey guys, I'm an avid fantasy Basketball player and now venturing into Baseball fantasy as I love this game as well! I just need advice on how I currently have the scoring system in my league. I'm afraid if I'm giving too many points to the pitchers. Feedback would be great, thanks guys! Here's my scoring format:

Batting:
Singles (1B) 1.5
Doubles (2B) 2.5
Triples (3B) 3.5
Home Runs 4.5
RBI 2
Strike Out -1
Outfield Assists 2
Runs Scored 2
Stolen Bases 1
Caught Stealing -1
Errors -1

Pitching:

Innings Pitched (IP) 6
Wins (W) 6
Blown Saves (BS) -5
Hits Allowed (H) -1
Shutouts (SO) 5
Pick Offs (PKO) 1
Earned Runs (ER) -1
Saves (SV) 7
Strikeouts (K) 0.5
Walks Issued (BB) -1
Home Runs Allowed (HR) -1
Complete Games (CG) 3

I'm the league manager so I just want to make sure my scoring system is fair and doesn't over-value a hitter or a pitcher. I've read on many other blogs that you shouldn't draft your first pitcher till maybe the 6th-8th round because a hitter is much more valuable. Is that still true with my scoring system? Also, let me know if I should change any of my scoring. Any feedback would be so much appreciated. Thanks guys!
mackster248
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Advice on Scoring Please

Postby NickyEyes113 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:42 pm

run your values through baseballmonster.com and get a cheat sheet based on last years stats. it'll tell you how much every player would have scored with your system in 2011. thats how i evened my scoring system out.

i didn't do the calculations for you, but you have some odd numbers in there. 6 points for each inning pitched??
NickyEyes113
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mackster248 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:05 am

NickyEyes113 wrote:run your values through baseballmonster.com and get a cheat sheet based on last years stats. it'll tell you how much every player would have scored with your system in 2011. thats how i evened my scoring system out.

i didn't do the calculations for you, but you have some odd numbers in there. 6 points for each inning pitched??

Thanks for the input! I checked out the site, made an account, but can't figure out how to get to that system where it tells me how my league settings are. I inputed them, but where do I go to do what you suggested?
mackster248
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby NickyEyes113 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 am

mackster248 wrote:
NickyEyes113 wrote:run your values through baseballmonster.com and get a cheat sheet based on last years stats. it'll tell you how much every player would have scored with your system in 2011. thats how i evened my scoring system out.

Thanks for the input! I checked out the site, made an account, but can't figure out how to get to that system where it tells me how my league settings are. I inputed them, but where do I go to do what you suggested?

top left. click rankings, then player rankings. then click edit league settings. make sure you input numbers for both hitters and pitchers. then save.

then go back to rankings, player rankings and click 'get all rankings' at the bottom.
NickyEyes113
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mackster248 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:28 am

NickyEyes113 wrote:
mackster248 wrote:

top left. click rankings, then player rankings. then click edit league settings. make sure you input numbers for both hitters and pitchers. then save.

then go back to rankings, player rankings and click 'get all rankings' at the bottom.

Thank you buddy! Really appreciate it man, I'll give that a shot. Would you mind showing me how your league scoring system is? I just wanna see what the general system should be. I tried to follow someones on mine, but as you said, 6 for each IP is very high. I need to change that. And I've also read that the general rule of thumb is to not draft your first pitcher until the 6-8th round. I don't wanna make pitchers too valuable so that the rule still kinda applies. Any other tips you can give me would be a plus as well! Thanks again.
mackster248
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby NickyEyes113 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:48 am

mackster248 wrote:Thank you buddy! Really appreciate it man, I'll give that a shot. Would you mind showing me how your league scoring system is? I just wanna see what the general system should be. I tried to follow someones on mine, but as you said, 6 for each IP is very high. I need to change that. And I've also read that the general rule of thumb is to not draft your first pitcher until the 6-8th round. I don't wanna make pitchers too valuable so that the rule still kinda applies. Any other tips you can give me would be a plus as well! Thanks again.

Please keep in mind that I'm a new league manager as of this year. While I do have experience playing fantasy baseball, this is my first ever time having to create a scoring system. Just a FYI.

I came up with the following system. I was looking for a combination of keeping it simple and evening out the value of pitchers and hitters. I ended up with 4 pitchers and 6 hitters in the top 10 of scoring, and that pleased me enough to go with it.

Hitters –
1 point for singles
2 points for doubles
3 points for triples
4 points for a home run
1 point for a run scored
1 point for each RBI driven in
1 point for a walk
2 points for a stolen base
-2 points for being caught stealing
-1 point for a strikeout
10 points for hitting for the cycle

Pitchers –
1.5 points for each inning pitched (.5 points per out)
-1 point for each earned run surrendered
1 point for each strikeout
-1 point for each walk surrendered
5 points for a win
-5 points for a loss
3 points for a save
-3 points for a blown save
5 points for a shutout
5 points for a no hitter
5 points for a perfect game

... and my scoring based on 2011 stats came out like this for the top 20:

Verlander 608
Ellsbury 590
Braun 575
Kershaw 575
Cabrera 573
Kemp 566
Kinsler 563
Lee (Cliff) 558
Bautista 549
Halladay 545
Fielder 538
Pujols 536
Pedroia 531
Granderson 527
Gonzalez (Adrien) 527
Cano 508
Votto 507
Sabathia 506
Shields 496
Kennedy 495

It spans a wide range of point totals, but that tapers off quickly. Like I said, I don't know if my system is ideal, but its what I ended up with after some studying.
NickyEyes113
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby NickyEyes113 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:50 am

There's another guy somewhere on the forums that says he has completely balanced hitting and pitching scoring. He had some wild numbers on there (something like 47 points for a home run). It's really whatever makes you happiest. I definitely like a basic structure to my scoring, I.E. 1 pt for a single, 2 for a double, 3 for a triple, 4 for a home run, etc.
NickyEyes113
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mackster248 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:03 am

NickyEyes113 wrote:There's another guy somewhere on the forums that says he has completely balanced hitting and pitching scoring. He had some wild numbers on there (something like 47 points for a home run). It's really whatever makes you happiest. I definitely like a basic structure to my scoring, I.E. 1 pt for a single, 2 for a double, 3 for a triple, 4 for a home run, etc.

Oh wow really? Damn, I'd love to see how his scoring system is at lol. But yours looks good. I definitely need to do some more research on how to make this as good as I can make it!
mackster248
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby NickyEyes113 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:18 am

mackster248 wrote:Oh wow really? Damn, I'd love to see how his scoring system is at lol. But yours looks good. I definitely need to do some more research on how to make this as good as I can make it!

Here it is. It's pretty wild, but he swears by it.

JonC0226 wrote:Plug this into any projection spreadsheet or program and you will see that it values pitchers and hitters realistically. Don't round the numbers though, the decimal points are in the for a reason. This system took a very long time to develop but works perfectly.

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, BN, BN, DL, DL

Batters Stat Category
At Bats (AB) -1.6
Runs (R) 8.4
Hits (H) 9.6
Singles (1B) 3
Doubles (2B) 4
Triples (3B) 5
Home Runs (HR) 22.3
Runs Batted In (RBI) 7.5
Stolen Bases (SB) 17.5
Walks (BB) 5
Intentional Walks (IBB) 5
Hit By Pitch (HBP) 5
Hitting for the Cycle (CYC) 50

Pitchers Stat Category
Innings Pitched (IP) 20.5
Wins (W) 54.1
Shutouts (SHO) 5
Saves (SV) 47.3
Hits (H) -5
Earned Runs (ER) -15
Walks (BB) -5
Intentional Walks (IBB) -5
Hit Batters (HBP) -5
Strikeouts (K) 4.5
No Hitters (NH) 15
Perfect Games (PG) 20
NickyEyes113
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mackster248 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:07 am

NickyEyes113 wrote:
mackster248 wrote:Oh wow really? Damn, I'd love to see how his scoring system is at lol. But yours looks good. I definitely need to do some more research on how to make this as good as I can make it!

Here it is. It's pretty wild, but he swears by it.

JonC0226 wrote:Plug this into any projection spreadsheet or program and you will see that it values pitchers and hitters realistically. Don't round the numbers though, the decimal points are in the for a reason. This system took a very long time to develop but works perfectly.

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, BN, BN, DL, DL

Batters Stat Category
At Bats (AB) -1.6
Runs (R) 8.4
Hits (H) 9.6
Singles (1B) 3
Doubles (2B) 4
Triples (3B) 5
Home Runs (HR) 22.3
Runs Batted In (RBI) 7.5
Stolen Bases (SB) 17.5
Walks (BB) 5
Intentional Walks (IBB) 5
Hit By Pitch (HBP) 5
Hitting for the Cycle (CYC) 50

Pitchers Stat Category
Innings Pitched (IP) 20.5
Wins (W) 54.1
Shutouts (SHO) 5
Saves (SV) 47.3
Hits (H) -5
Earned Runs (ER) -15
Walks (BB) -5
Intentional Walks (IBB) -5
Hit Batters (HBP) -5
Strikeouts (K) 4.5
No Hitters (NH) 15
Perfect Games (PG) 20

Thanks man! Such a HUGE discrepancy between a HR and any other hit though, hard to see how that'll work. Do you have the link to the thread you saw that in? Curious to see what other people thought of it, it does look interesting.
mackster248
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner