Trayvon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Trayvon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Trayvon

Postby Tavish » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:This. Man follows and chases down unarmed teenager after 911 tells him not to and the result is the teenager being shot. How is this defendable?

It all depends. Was the teenager black?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:37 pm

Don't see why it has to be a race issue because it just as easy could have been a kid of a different race. We don't even know if the guy knew he was black. The only issue that exists is the absurdity of stand your ground laws. Everyone has people in their life that would have done the same thing as this guy because they take knee-jerk reactions to everything with no common sense. There is a reason we have highly trained police officers who only shoot in the midst of clear danger. Why we'd give the general public vigilante status is beyond me.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby josebach » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:26 pm

There is also the claim that Zimmerman made a racial slur during the 911 call.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/21/di ... =allsearch

Sounds pretty clear to me, but only Zimmerman will know if he really said it. In my opinion, people on both sides should stop judging and let it play out in court.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby zepfan » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Tavish wrote:
wrveres wrote:Stuff about the media being sensational

You don't say? Luckily in this case it was CNN, and pretty much everyone knows by now they are a bunch of rambling morons. People know by now not to turn to CNN for real news when they can get the straight story from all of the other networks or from the internet.

I haven't seen as much CNN but if they're worse than FOX then that's really saying something. The whole corporate media is a total joke. How and when this kind of reporting became acceptable is the thing I would like to know. Nobody demands accountability anymore so the dumbing down of Western society continues and critical thinkers get dismissed or laughed at. Good times. ;-D

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Tavish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:31 pm

zepfan wrote:I haven't seen as much CNN but if they're worse than FOX then that's really saying something.

In many ways CNN is worse than FOX. CNN tries to be a liberal version of FOX but are just too inept to pull it off. If there is one thing I will give FOX credit for it is that they report their load of crap with professional production and a strong sense of direction. Even if that direction is so far off kilter it makes my head asplode, at least its there.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:48 pm

CNN tries to sensationalize and scare everyone.

Fox and MSNBC are party propaganda.

They all suck. I've found that that the people who most rail against "corporate media" just like the corporate media that they swallow up.

If you turn to the internet and blogs, you are relying on people who wear their agenda on their sleeves and don't even attempt to show the other side. Or if they claim to be "unbiased", they get their news from the "corporate media".

There is no independent media. Everyone is getting paid by someone.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Tavish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:20 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:They all suck. I've found that that the people who most rail against "corporate media" just like the corporate media that they swallow up.

Either that or they really don't like "corporate media" or just about any media in general. :-?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Tavish wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:They all suck. I've found that that the people who most rail against "corporate media" just like the corporate media that they swallow up.

Either that or they really don't like "corporate media" or just about any media in general. :-?

I found it intriguing that you didn't mention MSNBC who is the worst of the big three.

So unless you are just sticking your head in the sand, you are consuming "corporate" media. The links you choose to post. The writers you choose to follow. The opinions you choose to trust. Unless they are nameless people on random messageboards, they are all getting paid by some corporation to do their work.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Tavish » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
Tavish wrote:

I found it intriguing that you didn't mention MSNBC who is the worst of the big three.

I find it intriguing that you are trying to dissect my viewing habits from a sarcastic post that pointed to all news media being full of crap.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:36 pm

One thing to remember, is that for the most part these news outlets aren't traditional. 24 hour cable news channels are really only a few decades old and they've been able to shape themselves into what they are now. I still think local news broadcasts and local newspapers are fairly unbiased at least outside of the op-eds but unfortunately people have replaced them with the cable and blog slants. That said, I don't think cable news is in the business of shaping opinions and creating thought processes. They are just reinforcing people's thoughts and that's why they have huge ratings. It's not a problem that people aren't thinking anymore, I'd say as a society that's happening more than ever. The problem is that nobody seems to be questioning their values and ideals anymore.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk