Can you punt BA and still win your league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Can you punt BA and still win your league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Can you punt BA and still win your league?

Postby Izenhart » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:52 am

Round two begins...

My first Yahoo draft of the year concluded earlier this evening, and of course I wanted to see what kind of team I could put together for this again because it was so much fun last year, and I think I had a very good draft. All 12 teams showed up and players were routinely falling for less than they usually go, 4 teams left money on the table, a total of $111 unspent league-wide, which was more than I'd ever seen. I capitalized on the bargains and stuck to my plan, spending slightly less on pitching this time around I think my only concern is going to be there. Here's what I came up with:

$260 spent
$172/$88 split

hitters
C Napoli (1B) $7
1B Encarnacion $27
2B Uggla $4
3B H Ramirez (SS) $27
SS Rollins $10
OF Heyward $29
OF Granderson $27
OF BJ Upton $18
DH Dunn (1B/OF) $7
DH Willingham (OF) $7

bench
1B Konerko $5 (totally unexpected)
2B/SS E Cabrera $3
2B/OF Bonifacio $1

pitchers
SP Hamels $24
SP C Lee $23
RP Rivera $7
RP Romo $7
P Chapman $18
P Estrada $3
P H Bailey $2
P C Janssen $2

bench:
SP Lohse $1
SP Miley $1

Bidding $5 on Konerko made me miss out on Fister and/or Harvey who went for $5 too, so as good as the deal was I think I would have been better off letting him go for $4. At least I'll have some trade value if I do need a pitcher.

In my next draft I'm going to trade a bat for an arm, paying for someone like Price instead of Encarnacion. Other than that I think this team will do well. Thoughts?
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Quackman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:31 pm

looks like you executed your plan perfectly. good luck.

hey i got a cheap (20.00) snake draft on sunday 8pm, need two more lemme know if interested.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby Izenhart » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 pm

I'm going to be doing a few serious leagues this year so I won't have time to do 6 more low BA teams. I've decided to stick to two, especially since the teams will be very very similar, but I wanted my second team to use a different format with different suggested auction values. I hopped on over to ESPN and picked a team there that I am happy with. I'll post 2-3 updates during the year on each team like I did last season. :-)

10 team league, ESPN roto.

$260 spent
$167/$93 split

Hitters:
C Napoli $6
1B Dunn $2
2B Kinsler $20
3B H Ramirez $27
SS Rollins $10
MI Uggla $6
CI LaRoche $1
OF Heyward $21
OF BJ Upton $20
OF Granderson $18
OF Jennings $12
OF Rios $9
DH Ortiz $8

Bench:
2B/SS Rutledge $2
OF C Gomez $5

Pitchers:
P Weaver $20
P Sabathia $18
P Chapman $16
P Latos $12
P Haren $11
P Morrow $7
P Rivera $6
P K Jansen $1
P Frieri $1

Bench:
P Perkins $1

I know it doesn't matter but the projected standings said I win the league by 8 points. So long as I don't run this into the ground I'm off to a good start. :-B
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Quackman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:17 am

so it sounds like your scared?
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Izenhart » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:05 am

Quackman wrote:so it sounds like your scared?

Sorry I couldnt do the draft at the time last Sunday I had people over, still willing to do this one more time for fun if you want to - shoot me a PM and we'll talk :-)
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Izenhart » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Forgot to bump this last year. Of the three teams I punted BA I won one. Not the 100% success rate as the years before but my drafts weren't as strong and B.J. Upton was :-L

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/clubhouse? ... sonId=2013 is my winning team

also, Tristin Cockcroft has posted a very nice article describing the strategy on ESPN's front page of the baseball fantasy: http://espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/sto ... -correctly

Gonna stick to two teams this year and see how it goes.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Quackman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:02 pm

Izenhart wrote:Forgot to bump this last year. Of the three teams I punted BA I won one. Not the 100% success rate as the years before but my drafts weren't as strong and B.J. Upton was :-L

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/clubhouse? ... sonId=2013 is my winning team

also, Tristin Cockcroft has posted a very nice article describing the strategy on ESPN's front page of the baseball fantasy: http://espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/sto ... -correctly

Gonna stick to two teams this year and see how it goes.

funny I read that espn article earlier and thought of this thread. Seems like the key to it is, productivity. Low ba is ok but the players still have to be productive for it to work. Good luck, im still not ballsy enough to try it.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Izenhart » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:29 pm

Drafted a team A and team B today. ESPN leagues. Decided to do one H2H and one roto. In H2H I went more pitching heavy to give myself the best shot at sweeping pitching every week. In roto I went with more of a "balance" if you can call it that. Crossing my fingers Dee Gordon starts and gains 2B elig. If not, there's always Uggla on the waiver wire! Here's what I got:

STRONG ARM TACTICS (H2H)
C Evan Gattis $3
1B Adam Dunn $1
2B Jedd Gyorko $4
3B Pedro Alvarez $11
SS Everth Cabrera $9
MI Jed Lowrie $4
CI Jose Abreu $5
OF Bryce Harper $24
OF Yasiel Puig $19
OF Jose Bautista $17
OF Billy Hamilton $10
OF Curtis Granderson $6
DH Mark Teixeira $1

Bench:
SS Dee Gordon $1

SP Max Scherzer $18
SP Jose Fernandez $18
SP Chris Sale $19
SP Madison Bumgarner $17
SP Zack Greinke $15
RP Aroldis Chapman $16
RP Kenley Jansen $15
RP Sergio Romo $7
RP Jason Grilli $5

Bench:
SP Tony Cingrani $5
SP Sonny Gray $3

BOMBAY BOMBERS (roto)
C Brian McCann $9
1B Mark Trumbo $13
2B Jedd Gyorko $7
3B Pedro Alvarez $12
SS Jean Segura $14
MI Everth Cabrera $9
CI Jose Abreu $5
OF Giancarlo Stanton $22
OF Alex Rios $16
OF Nelson Cruz $6
OF Alfonso Soriano $7
OF Billy Hamilton $6
DH Adam Dunn $1

Bench:
1B/OF Brandon Moss $7
SS Dee Gordon $1

SP Max Schrezer $19
SP Jose Fernandez $21
SP Madison Bumgarner $20
SP Julio Teheran $8
SP Tony Cingrani $8
RP Kenley Jansen $16
RP Koji Uehara $9
RP David Robertson $7
RP Jason Grilli $8

Bench:
SP Danny Salazar $8

I'll try and remember to bump this at the ASB and again when the season ends.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Izenhart » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:05 am

Hey I remembered to update this at the All Star Break :-]

BOMBAY BOMBERS (roto)
Okay first off drafting Gordon and Hamilton on both teams has locked up steals already. But the real steal has been Abreu for $5 on both squads. Cruz, Stanton and Moss on my roto team and lots of good pitching has put me in 1st, 10 points ahead of second place. This team is currently 1st place in HR, RBI, SB, K, W, and SV. Currently 20 HR and 37 steals ahead of second place, this team is doing the job it was set out to do. It's also currently 3rd in ERA, 4th in WHIP and Runs, while second to last place in BA - hitting a cool .262. Heading into the second half I see no signs of slowing down this power/speed train with Abreu, Cruz, Moss, Stanton, Trumbo, Bruce and Alvarez leading the way. If the pitching can hold up I have a good shot to win.

STRONG ARM TACTICS (H2H)
In H2H I'm at 98-43-9, in 1st place, 7 games ahead of #2. Even with the league's lowest batting average at .260, the team is 3rd overall in runs and home runs, 2nd in RBI, and 1st in steals (35 steals ahead of second place) while pitching is solid across the board ranking 2nd in K's W's and SV's and 3rd in ERA and WHIP. Even though I am last in BA overall, I have somehow won the category 8 times in 15 weeks, including last week when I edged them .282-.281 and went 10-0 for the 2nd time this year. Pitching here is still the strong point and I head into the second half with a rotation of Grienke, Baumgarner, Scherzer, Sale, Kazmir, Lee and Beckett with closers Chapman, Jansen and Melancon. Springer has been the perfect pickup for this squad and if the hitting can stay solid I should do well in the playoffs, having only lost 1 matchup so far this year.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Izenhart » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:01 am

BOMBAY BOMBERS (roto)

Superb pitching carried this team to victory, finishing 1st place in Wins, Saves, Ks, and WHIP while getting 2nd place in ERA. With 1583 Ks in 1538 IP my team finished 108 Ks ahead of 2nd place. Racking up an absurd 118 wins (with a 200 start CAP) put me 28 ahead of 2nd place, I also won saves by 12 and WHIP by .016. I lost the ERA lead late and just missed that category by .013. Using a budget on Low BA hitting allows for more to be spent on pitching and it paid off big time.

Hitting was as expected, leading the league in HRs by 24 and SBs by 63. I finished dead last in BA with .2556, which does make it hard to compete in Runs but I did well enough finishing 3rd. I also finished 2nd in RBI, missing 1st place by 12.

Overall my team racked up 87 league points out of a possible 100 and won the league by 6! Mission Accomplished! ;-D

STRONG ARM TACTICS (H2H)

This team was a well balanced force, finishing the season with a 142-54-14 (.710) record, winning or tying every single week except one, and finished 7.5 games ahead of second place. I'd say the goal was to win 7/10 cats a week and that was accomplished. I also finished strong going 54-11-5 (.807) in the last 7 weeks of the regular season, however I ran into a buzz saw in R1, and even with a decent showing I was crushed 1-8-1. I won the final week and took home 3rd place overall.

Personally I enjoy this strategy in roto more, partially I think because it's a bit more difficult to pull off to win a league, and partially because H2H is a luck of the draw thing I don't care much for. In my round 1 loss my team K'd 117, won 9 games, had a 1.953 ERA and a 1.008 WHIP but the only category I won was Saves. Oh well! I'm happy with a 1st place finish in the regular season, and I think the decision to go pitching heavy for H2H was definitely the way to go. Have a happy off season, gents!
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team