Scrounging for saves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Scrounging for saves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scrounging for saves

Postby lbblue » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:01 am

Soria was one of the closers I drafted so I'm kind of scrambling for speculative saves guys. Holds are a category in this league and lots of RPs are rostered in the draft. I was able to get Glen Perkins and Matt Lindstrom off the wire after the Soria news. Neither is a sure bet for saves but for post-draft wire adds I think they're about the best I'm going to do. Reasonable shot that one of them will be at least temporarily in a closer role at some point. I do have Huston Street and Brett Meyers so I'm not totally screwed in saves but that could be shaky with Street's injury history and Meyer's Astros problem.

Any other Soria owners have suggestions, guys you've added for the same reason? Is Sean Marshall going to be the closer in Cincy if Madson's elbow is a problem? Does Lidge get a shot since Marshall is probably not best in a setup role? Lidge is on the wire in my league.
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Scrounging for saves

Postby CyboNinja » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:25 am

Grab Greg Holland. Its not for certain that Brox will be the closer in KC with Soria hurt now. Interesting article today over on fangraphs regarding Holland actually.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index. ... ill-close/
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 96)

Postby lbblue » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:28 am

CyboNinja wrote:Grab Greg Holland. Its not for certain that Brox will be the closer in KC with Soria hurt now. Interesting article today over on fangraphs regarding Holland actually.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index. ... ill-close/

Yeah, there was a short waiver period after the draft and I put a claim in for him but was #6 and the guy with #1 snagged him. I have Broxton and if he gets the job for any amount of time he'll chip in with some saves but I don't expect him to be very reliable or to hold the closer role if given the opportunity. Took him in the last round since holds are a category and I'd taken Soria (drafted Soria pre-injury by a couple of hours). Any number of saves he can manage this year will help cover for what I'm losing with Soria going down.
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:38 pm

I would take a flyer on Marshall as he looks to be the closer right now. I would also keep an eye or pick up Tyler Clippard as Drew Storen is hurting right now.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby RyeWhiskey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Marshall and Lidge are good bets at the moment.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MaudDib » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:00 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:Marshall and Lidge are good bets at the moment.

Didn't realize that they already said Clippard would not close so I would go after Lidge instead.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby snash » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:29 pm

Does Masset has a chance to supplant Madson?
snash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikekim2121 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:32 am

Get marshall now, then read the rest after.

I agree with the other guys, Holland and Lidge are probably your best bets at this point, after Marshall. Even Masset might be good, especially since its a holds league.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby k.k. » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:44 pm

Not sure I buy this 100%, but it appears the closer's job in Baltimore is still up for grabs. I thought Jim Johnson had it locked up more or less, but this bit from ESPN on Lindstrom says otherwise:

The race for the closer position still seems open in Baltimore and it could even be possible that Buck Showalter elects to split save opportunities between Lindstrom and Jim Johnson. Most relief pitcher lists have Johnson as the closer, but Lindstrom could find some rogue saves at the minimum. He has outpitched Johnson this spring by a hair.

Might not be a bad speculative add, but no guarantees obviously.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby lbblue » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:35 pm

k.k. wrote:Not sure I buy this 100%, but it appears the closer's job in Baltimore is still up for grabs. I thought Jim Johnson had it locked up more or less, but this bit from ESPN on Lindstrom says otherwise:

The race for the closer position still seems open in Baltimore and it could even be possible that Buck Showalter elects to split save opportunities between Lindstrom and Jim Johnson. Most relief pitcher lists have Johnson as the closer, but Lindstrom could find some rogue saves at the minimum. He has outpitched Johnson this spring by a hair.

Might not be a bad speculative add, but no guarantees obviously.

Lindstrom was the first guy I grabbed when Soria went down. Not a good situation going on in Baltimore but the title of this thread is "Scrounging for Saves". Lindstrom is one of the only guys right now who is still actively competing for a closer role (well, it appears as though it's an open competition anyway). Even if he doesn't win it outright, Johnson isn't very good, his back has been balky this spring, and his velocity has been terrible. If Lindstrom gets me 10 saves this season it will be a good start in filling the hole that Soria's injury put me in.

Same for Brad Lidge. I dropped Eric O'Flaherty for him. O'Flaherty is a good source of Holds but that is the easiest category to make up using the wire. If Lidge closes for a week and gets me 3 saves I'll take it.
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions