ESPN Scoring - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

ESPN Scoring

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ESPN Scoring

Postby KingOfSports » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Hello all.

I am the commissioner of a 10 team ESPN H2H league.

Last year, the league was 12 teams and there were complaints the entire season about how a good pitcher scored way more than a good batter. In ESPN normal fantasy leagues, a win would get your pitcher 10 points added to their total.

I was thinking about changing it to 5 (and keeping it at -5 for a loss).

Now I read on ESPN that although the top pitchers heavily outscored the top batters, when you moved down the rankings, they would eventually even out and the batters would then score more. However, if it's changed to 5 points for a win, the top SPs would still heavily outscore the top batters, but the batters would pass the pitchers much sooner and pitchers drafted in late rounds (18+) would contribute next to nothing.

Here's the scoring I have it set at right now. Please let me know what you think. Currently it's set to 13 categories for pitching and 13 for batting (26 total).

Batting
1B Singles: 1 point
2B Doubles: 2 points
3B Triples: 3 points
HR Home Runs: 4 points
TB Total Bases: 1 point
BB Walks: 1 point
R Runs Scored: 1 point
RBI Runs Batted In: 1 point
SB Stolen Bases: 1 point
K Strikeouts: -1 point
GWRBI Game Winning RBI: 3 points
CYC Hitting for the Cycle: 12 points
GSHR Grand Slam Home Runs: 5 points

Pitching
IP Outs Recorded: 1 point
ER Earned Runs: -2 points
W Wins: 5 points
L Losses: -5 points
SV Saves: 5 points
BS Blown Saves: -3 points
K Strikeouts: 1 point
H Hits Allowed: -1 point
BB Walks Issued: -1 point
SO Shutouts: 5 points
HB Hit Batsmen: -2 points
NH No Hitters: 12 points
PG Perfect Games: 20 points

As you can see, batters can only lose points from a strikeout, but pitchers can lose points from a loss, blown save, walk, earned run, hit batsman, or a hit. But then also keep in mind that they can earn multiple points for an out (strikeout gets you 2 points b/c 1 for the K and the other for the actual out).
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: ESPN Scoring

Postby bigmck » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:17 pm

That is the exact reason I never play in Point Leagues. The points for the hitters and pitchers are never even. Do yourself a favor and play in a Category League.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby KingOfSports » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:03 pm

I was thinking that but I asked the remaining 9 owners and we've all used H2H points and no one really wants to switch so I guess I'll just have to limit # of pitchers, # of starts, etc.
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NickyEyes113 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:32 pm

'm in a head-to-head points league too.

I went to baseballmoster.com and entered in my league scoring system and created a cheat sheet based on last years stats. it will show you what every player would have scored for fantasy with your point system last year.

I used this site to alter my scoring system until pitchers and hitters were close to even. I ended up with 9 pitchers and 11 hitters in the top 20 of points scored last year. This is what I came up with, and it's close enough for me:

Hitters –
1 point for singles
2 points for doubles
3 points for triples
4 points for a home run
1 point for a run scored
1 point for each RBI driven in
1 point for a walk
2 points for a stolen base
-2 points for being caught stealing
-1 point for a strikeout
10 points for hitting for the cycle

Pitchers –
1.5 points for each inning pitched (.5 points per out)
-1 point for each earned run surrendered
1 point for each strikeout
-1 point for each walk surrendered
5 points for a win
-5 points for a loss
3 points for a save
-3 points for a blown save
5 points for a shutout
5 points for a no hitter
5 points for a perfect game
NickyEyes113
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby dfa » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:00 am

I'm a pretty big believer in the H2H points system, as it allows for some randomness (h2h) but also doesn't hold some of the typical categories to higher value than what is actually important in baseball (SBs, saves as examples).

When I designed a system for an ESPN points league, the first thing I did was develop a point system for the hitters, because this is a bit easier. One point for a single, 4 for a homer. 1 point for an RBI, .5 point for Run and 1 point for a stolen base, since it shouldn't be more important than a single IMO. So this game an approximate amount of "points" that the hitters would be worth.

Armed with that number, I was able to look at pitching. Since I value things a pitcher can control (strikeouts), I put that at a point. And since I think a 200 inning 4th starter is more important than a closer, I wanted to make each out recorded a half point. Because I value 200 innings more than 60, I wanted to avoid rate stats common in roto. At that point, you can come with arbitrary values for things that you and the league value, like complete games, quality starts, saves, wins, etc. It's not impossible, and over time a good system can be developed. I think it's important to get league by in though, so showing your work is always a good thing.

Good luck!
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jedvii » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:16 pm

I posted my point system in another thread(it seemse these are common). viewtopic.php?t=442180

One of the main things to consider when you are adjusting scoring is the lineup requirements. How many pitchers do you use? How many batters do you use? We use C,1B,2B,3B,SS,OF1,OF2,OF3,DH, SP1,SP2,SP3,RP1,SP/RP

Also, do you set your lineup once a week or everyday? if you set it every day, your pitching totals will be much higher than your batting totals.

-jed
Get Half off 2014 cbs sports commissioner league with this code http://cbssports.com/ref/49894850
jedvii
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 6)

Return to Commissioner's Corner