Need a little help with my draft strategy. WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Need a little help with my draft strategy. WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need a little help with my draft strategy. WHIR

Postby erjohnson1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:28 pm

I need your guys help with what my draft strategy should be for my snake draft this weekend. I play in a 10 team rotisserie 6x6 league with HRs, AVG, RBIs, steals, runs, and OPS for hitters; and strikeouts, wins, ERA, WHIP, saves, and quality starts for pitchers. Our starting roster is weird though. For offense we have one starter each at 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, and catcher, and 3 outfielders, one utility spot, and 5 bench spots. Pitching wise we have 9 spots. 7 of those will be filled by starting pitchers and two of them by relief pitchers (no bench spots, all pitchers start). The max number of starts for starting pitchers is 230 which means you can start all 7 starting pitchers from day 1 and not go over the limit (relief pitchers have not limit). What do you guys think my draft strategy should be then? I'm thinking of targeting starting pitching a little earlier than usual since we only have 9 offensive starters as opposed to the standard 13. Also I'm thinking of trying to get elite players at scarce positions like SS, 2B, and catcher early since I feel like I can hold off till later on at 3B and 1B since we only start one person at each position. I'm also valuing power guys much higher than speed guys since we have an additional category (OPS) which hurts straight speed guys like Michael Bourne. What do you guys think of what my thoughts are on my strategy so far? Also do you have any players that you think I should target that would help me in my league with the settings that we have?
Last edited by erjohnson1 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
erjohnson1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need a little help with my draft strategy. WHIR

Postby baegames » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:37 pm

I assume you have RBI and not SB. Stay normal, but overweight some guys who get lots of walks and doubles (helps Slugging but most 5x5 leagues (and rankings) do not include anything extra for a double than a single) such as Billy Butler (not at the expense of HR hitters, but consider them). With no corner and only one utility, everyone will get a good 1b (I think you are right to get a 2b or ss early).

As for pitching, the more SP categories you add, the less value RP have. So, even more than in most situations, do not pay for saves. The only thing I would be wary of is your Starting Pitching limit. A decent strategy here might be to grab 2 or 3 top pitchers, and grab a bunch more that you can use only for spot starts based on the opponent. This could be the use for the bench.

Help with mine:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=441970
baegames
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 197)

Postby erjohnson1 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:57 pm

baegames wrote:I assume you have RBI and not SB.

You're right

baegames wrote: The only thing I would be wary of is your Starting Pitching limit. A decent strategy here might be to grab 2 or 3 top pitchers, and grab a bunch more that you can use only for spot starts based on the opponent. This could be the use for the bench.

I guess I didn't write it clear enough the first time. What I meant was that we'll have 7 starting pitchers active the whole year (no bench spots). With 230 starts I won't need to worry about going over the limit (162 games/5 man rotation=32.4 games each*7 pitchers= 227).
erjohnson1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby erjohnson1 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:45 am

anyone else?
erjohnson1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby erjohnson1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:17 pm

anyone?
erjohnson1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Knights » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:46 pm

Having no bench spots for pitchers really puts an emphasis on the early as you can't hide them away during slumps or if you get stuck with a bottome of the barrel SP.

Given this, I'd say depending on where your 1st round pick is, snag either a stud OF bat or a Top 2B/3B/SS (scarce positions) in the first round and the best SP available in round 2. The 3rd round will depend on who's left for star quality hitters at that point, but if you feel you'd be reaching for who's still on the board then take a second strong SP right away.

Here's mine: viewtopic.php?t=442221
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 36)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions