Which pitchers to keep? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which pitchers to keep?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Which pitchers to keep?

Postby MaudDib » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:42 am

dark2025 wrote:Thanks guys.

It just occurred to me that most of these guys are being drafted 100+ overall (I'm using ESPN). We're keeping 10 each, so pick 100 is about where the draft would happen. Now Hudson and Latos are being drafted at 97 and 101, respectively, Hellickson at 102, Pineda at 107, Hanson at 118, but Zimmermann is going at 122.9. I do love Zimmermann too, but I wonder if the best idea would be to keep two of the guys before him (right now I'm thinking Hudson and Latos) then draft him back with my first or second round picks? What do you think of this strategy?

I keep the guys I want unless I know for certain that they would still be available later (for instance, I like Jamie Garcia this year but in a league with 5 keepers, I am not keeping him). So I would rather keep Zimmermann over the other guys even though he has a higher ADP because I don't want someone else in the draft picking him early and then regretting not keeping him. A lot of what makes fantasy sports so fun, is intuition on players. My intuition tells me not to draft Latos or Pineda (kind of an easy one) while also telling me to draft Zimmermann. I could be wrong but it is more fun when you are right and then I look to see what I missed when I am wrong so that next year I don't make the same mistake.

Maybe I am over-valuing the park factor or the Dusty factor. Maybe I am still thinking about how last year started for him. I don't know why I am worried about Latos but I am. Part of it might also be that I don't understand why the Padres would trade Latos for guys that I don't value all that much. Do they know something or think they know something? Similar questions with Pineda especially no that he is struggling. Always makes me wonder when I see a team not in contention trade a young player that still has a lot of time under contract.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which pitchers to keep?

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:59 am

Seattle traded Pineda because they love Montero, and they needed a 30 hr bat.
Plus they have Hultzen/Walker/Paxton on the way.

I like SD haul on Latos.
They got Volquez, who is decent.
Grandal will be their future C, and Alonso will be their 1B, a upgrade over Rizzo.
So they got 2 starters now, Grandal soon, and maybe Boxberger.
A lot of folks think the Reds overpaid.
SD got a better deal, then Oakland got for either Cahill or Gio.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions