How to deal with bad trades??!!?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How to deal with bad trades??!!??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheGhost » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:45 pm

So I'm the commish of a 10 team keeper league. H2H, yahoo, 5x5, keep six.

Last year an owner traded Justin Verlander for Gabby Sanchez. I let the trade go through because I genuinely felt like it wasn't collusion but rather one owner just blowing it because he "needed a first baseman". The same guy who received Verlander in that trade, made a trade with a deadbeat owner who sent Curtis Granderson (who has 12th round keeper value) for Francisco Liriano.

So essentially one owner got Granderson (with keeper value) and Verlander (with keeper value) for Liriano and Gabby Sanchez.

Obviously, one solution is to kick out deadbeat owners (which I have done) but since this is a keeper league those mismatched trades come back to haunt the rest of the league year after year. I almost want to make a decision on all trades myself and if I don't like it, it doesn't go through. Obviously, that wouldn't go over well with the league but I put a lot of effort into this and want to make it fair for everyone. I'm just looking for ways to make this competitive and am looking for creative rules/settings that limits the B.S. with crap trades.

Any thoughts?

Is it better to let any trade go through if you don't suspect collusion... or should any owner be able to vote against a trade no matter what the reason?

Any thoughts/advice/help is greatly appreciated. ;-D Thanks in advance.
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 101)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to deal with bad trades??!!??

Postby jefferey13 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:41 pm

I'd let the market handle it. I would set it up that once a trade is proposed, the other managers can then offer something better for the good player being given up. If the manager shipping out Verlander turns down the better deal to stick with a worse deal, you probably have collusion and can step in. If no managers are willing to make a run at the person being traded, then you let it go through because that is what the market is saying verlander is worth.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheGhost » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 pm

jefferey13 wrote:I'd let the market handle it. I would set it up that once a trade is proposed, the other managers can then offer something better for the good player being given up. If the manager shipping out Verlander turns down the better deal to stick with a worse deal, you probably have collusion and can step in. If no managers are willing to make a run at the person being traded, then you let it go through because that is what the market is saying verlander is worth.

Thanks man... I really like this. Just wondering if there is a way to implement the "market system" on the yahoo application. Or do I have to have everyone send me trades first (via message board or email) and do it separately?
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 101)

Postby jefferey13 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:27 pm

I would just let the people propose the trade then have a 2 or 3 day veto period. during that time members can make offers for the player on the forums. If no one beats the offer, the trade still goes through. If he accepts a different player's offer, you can then push it through.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mkultra » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Sorry, I think that kind of "open market trading" is no fun at all. Why would I bother making a trade if I knew someone out there could undercut me? A big part of fantasy baseball is outsmarting your opponents and getting the upper hand in a trade.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby jefferey13 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:11 pm

mkultra wrote:Sorry, I think that kind of "open market trading" is no fun at all. Why would I bother making a trade if I knew someone out there could undercut me? A big part of fantasy baseball is outsmarting your opponents and getting the upper hand in a trade.

I think you have it completely backwards, no one could ever undercut. They would have to overbid you. In the MLB teams express the desire to get rid of a player, or they express the need to add a certain position. Teams then begin to contact the team in need and make offers.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mkultra » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:58 am

Semantics. My point is still valid.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Ehlana » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Short of making sure that your league is filled with active, knowledgable, and competetive owners, I don't think there's much that you can (or should) do. People value players differently, and it would be pretty boring if we didn't. Short of something very strange like "I'll trade you all my good players for all your draft picks next year" I just don't think there's much you should do to prevent people from doing what they feel is best. If you want to have final say on all trades why don't you just go play in al eague where you control all the teams?

Admittedly that's a bit of an extreme reaction, but hopefully it gets my point across.

As an aside, last year we had two owners make a trade that got vetoed. It was Mauer for Posey, after Posey was out for the year. We play in a keeper league so posey wasn't worthless, but this trade was vetoed. When it was discussed on the board, it turned out that 3 of the vetoers did so b/c they thought the person getting mauer was getting the better end up the deal and the other 2 thought it was lopsided the other way. So really if the vetoers couldn't agree which way the trade was lopsided why veto it?

If someone continually participates in lopsided trades your best bet is to ask them their reasonsing and if you don't like the reasoning you can always replace them.

There's a enough player turnover imo that even in a keeper league a bad trade or two won't give someone a huge advantage or disadvantage. Besides, bad trades can look vastly different a year or two down the road.
(\ _ /)
(='.'=)
(")_(")*
Ehlana
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)

Postby bigmck » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:15 pm

jefferey13 wrote:
mkultra wrote:Sorry, I think that kind of "open market trading" is no fun at all. Why would I bother making a trade if I knew someone out there could undercut me? A big part of fantasy baseball is outsmarting your opponents and getting the upper hand in a trade.

I think you have it completely backwards, no one could ever undercut. They would have to overbid you. In the MLB teams express the desire to get rid of a player, or they express the need to add a certain position. Teams then begin to contact the team in need and make offers.

What Mykultra is saying why that the person offering the trade initially would be undercut by someone else. His point is valid. The post above me is also a good point. There are guys in every league that "just don't get it". The Commish should not be a watchdog and overrule trades just because he would not make them himself. If a trade has no collusion, it should go through. Just because an Owner makes a trade that the Commish would not personally make, it should not be Vetoed. == I have Commished an Auction League for 17 years. We have no type of Veto on trades. We have an inseason Salary Cap. If you can make a trade and stay under the Cap, it passes. You don't need Vetos to be a good league.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby Quackman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:15 pm

Ya,,no way id allow it to be open market like that. An idiot shouldnt be bailed out by the rest of the league by allowing them to offer more. At the same time some trades should just be vetoed. With The Verlander trade, it depends when it happened. Look at his stats from previous years and i could see a trade like this going through if it happened at the start of the year.

It can be a little lopsided and still be a good deal,,,,not vetoable. Pretty much a judgment call from the commish. If you say to yourself "what the hell is he thinking" it might be veto time. Ive only seen a few trades get struck down and its ussually talked about and most of the players agree its just too crazy of a deal.

As a commish, i wouldnt allow open bidding, but if a trade is iffy id start a chat about it and wether it should be vetoed. If the majority think it should be,then so be it.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner