Crawford: are you buying? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Crawford: are you buying? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Crawford: are you buying? WHIR

Postby angels7777 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:21 pm

12 team H2H non-keeper 5x5

If so what round are you looking?
5x5 H2H, Non-Keep 10 tms

C- MCann
1B- Santana
2B- Carp
3B- Wright
SS- Desmnd
OF- J. Uptn, Trout, Polanco
UTIL- Springr
BN- Heywrd, Wrth
SP- Hamels, Teheran, Liriano, Garza, Kluber, Fister, A. Sanchez, Gio, Latos, Cobb, Arieta
RP- Melancon, Smith, Hawkins
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Crawford: are you buying? WHIR

Postby CadensDad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:24 pm

In a 12 team league, not before round 15. That wrist scares me to death and I question if he will be able to get the ball into the OF enough to matter since at Fenway the monster and the corner give you doubles.

I have steered clear of him all year.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby kaiser » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:28 pm

I'd take him earlier than that in a 12-team. Perhaps somewhere around 9th or 10th round. Yes, the injury is of great concern, as is his awful play last year, but the skill set is still there, and the upside is tempting.

And this coming from the guy (me) who traded away Ryan Braun and Jose Reyes to get Hanley Ramirez and Carl Crawford during the first month of the season last year... Oy.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby Surfs up » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:11 pm

I would be affraid he won't try to steal bases for fear of reinjurying the wrist. He could sap any power down the right field line at Fenway. He might not be able to pull the ball.This thing could linger. It could also effect his outfield play defensive. He might be affraid of hitting the monster or the outfield wall and that could get into his head when hitting. Just a couple of things I think of.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)

Postby tballt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:43 pm

it's encouraging he's starting to swing.

I for one am not drafting him.

The people who said they would take him til the 15th rd, or the 9/10th round will not be owning carl this year.... you're going to have to in a 12 teamer reach around the 8th ish round.

This is a guy who if he bounces back can go 10-15hrs and steal 50+ bases.... it all hinges on his wrist being strong, do you believe? I'd just pass, but if you're going to think about him, gotta go about the 8th.
tballt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jefferey13 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:49 pm

I would take him somewhere around the 100th pick.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Somewhere around 8th or 9th round pick. Depends on what is available and what I need but he has the upside of a top 10 player and he has had one down year. That wrist injury does worry me but it isn't like his value is all tied up in how many HR he can hit. The guy was pretty dominate for a number of years and can be plenty valuable.

This is one of those guys that has a chance to win you a league. He could bust out and cause problems for you later or he could recover from this wrist problem and then be a dominate OF again by mid-May. Those are the guys I take a chance on. Huge upside here and a ton of track record.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby TruYankeeFan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:45 pm

I took the chance when he fell to the 10th round in my 12 team h2h non keeper on yahoo. :-o

Any help would be appreciated
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=442098
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:26 am

I think if you really want Crawford you probably are going to have to go 8th round for him. From what I have seen there is always a few managers who are going to be willing to roll the dice on Crawford so I haven't seen him slipping to the point where he is going to be a steal in say the early to mid teen rounds.

I would probably be willing to grab Crawford but I think alot would depend on how my draft was going and whether I felt I needed to take the risk.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:35 am

I think if you get Crawford anyhwere in the 8 or 9+ round you are doing fine and taking a decent risk vs. reward gamble. It is not like you are sacrificing an elite pick for him at that point, just someone who is a decent player probably with limited upside or an unproven guy with high upside. Crawford is top 2-3 round material potentially and has been so for a number of years. He is not old and really last year was one of the more baffling busts in recent history. He went from a contender in the AL east to another contender in the AL east and went from elite to trash. The big contract and pressure in Boston likely had something to do with that and the injury now is cause for concern, but it is the same player so you have to feel he gets straightened out eventually if healthy unless he is just a complete head case. Maybe he is but as long as you are not paying a top price for him it is a decent gamble imo.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions