[FIXED] 12 Team H2H Cat 10th pick 1st draft [WHIR] - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

[FIXED] 12 Team H2H Cat 10th pick 1st draft [WHIR]

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

[FIXED] 12 Team H2H Cat 10th pick 1st draft [WHIR]

Postby TruYankeeFan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 am

So Sorry Guys! But I need your help again...I tried this 2 weeks ago...but gave you bad info on my scoring and figured that probably skewed the advice.

Ok...so I joined this league last minute, as I had always wanted to play Fantasy Baseball (HUGE Fantasy Football Fan...run my own league very year).

I figured have pretty decent knowledge of the game...and as it is my first year and the time constraints, I did not take as seriously as I do football each year....and now realize I should have taken a bit of a closer look before drafting.

While I will enjoy playing even if I am the worst team in the league (which I am fairly certain I won't be)...I do want to try and help myself as much as possible before the season starts and over the first several weeks...as I assume most of the best waiver pickups will be in that period as it is with Football. This is where I need your help!

Also, it seems that we literally go head to head in each category with no points...and either win, lose or tie (w/5 points each)...I thought it was a points league (lol...I know stupid). That in and of itself would not completely screw up a draft...but I also did not consider the interesting change to stat categories until the day of the draft...and had to wing it.

Instead of the standard scoring...our community (several leagues all going by the same scoring rules) used some very stat oriented categories. Here is our scoring vs standard....

Hitting:
Std: H, HR, RBI, AVG, SB
Ours: R, TB, RBI, OBP, NSB (Net Stolen Bases)

Pitching
Std: W, SV, Ks, ERA, WHIP
Ours: IP, SV, Ks, ERA, WHIP

As you can see...pitching is not too different...and I never would have drafted by wins anyway...to subjective...so I did ok with pitching...offense I am not so sure.

So here we go...given the oddities of my league...please do your best to analyze my team and help me find me biggest weaknesses.

Roster:
C- Mike Napoli
1B - Prince Fielder
2B - Rickie Weeks
SS - Derek Jeter
3B - Arod
OF - Brett Gardner
OF - Melky Cabrera
OF - Peter Bourjols
UT - Yoenis Cespedes
BN - Carl Crawford
BN - Alfonso Soriano
BN - Kelly Johnson
BN - JD Martinez (he looks to be a HUGE sleeper in this scoring system)

SP - Clayton Kershaw
SP - Cole Hamels
RP - Brandon League
RP - John Axford
P - James Shields
P - Chris Carpenter
P - Ivan Nova
P - Phil Hughes
BN - Brett Myers

I know I have some real gambles and way too many Yanks...but I followed the best value available during the draft, and guys like Jeter and Arod came to me later than most drafts...and Hughes and Nova were late pickups. Further, I am confident both Hughes and ARod will have comeback years from all I have read about both their off seasons and ST news.

I am know I have some injury concerns in Weeks and Carpenter, and maybe a little too much optimism in my bench and late round picks (gambles)....but I don't think I did horribly.

what do you think? Can you offer any advice? or do you think my team is set for Opening Day?

Thanks Again...and post a link and I will help in return.

;-D
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: [FIXED] 12 Team H2H Cat 10th pick 1st draft [WHIR]

Postby TruYankeeFan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:56 pm

bump? ;-)
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ap215 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:28 pm

You did good with your team love Napoli as your catcher Bourjols could be a sleeper OF this yr but if Torii Hunter was out there whoa now we're really talking something huge fan of his.

Loved the one two combo of Kershaw & Hamels. I give this team a ;-D
ap215
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Padres Fan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Team looks good, Jeter will not help much anymore as he is now only a average hitter who doesn't help in any of the catergories, and Yeonis is uncertain what type of player he will become, some have him a strictly power hitter as a negitive in average, others have about a .260 20hr 20sb type player though as well. In pitching I like everyone except Nova (struggling to even make the team) and Hughes who seems he needs to leave NY to be even a decent SP. Also Myers is a gamble at RP but could suprise.

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=441687
Padres Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TruYankeeFan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Padres Fan wrote:Team looks good, Jeter will not help much anymore as he is now only a average hitter who doesn't help in any of the catergories,

As much as I love the Captain...I know he is on the down side of his HOF career. But I do hope he could give me something like 80+ R, 65+ RBI, 200+ TB, .350+ OBP and 10+ NSB (I would like to believe these are realistic expectations). The problem is there was an INSANE run on SS in the first 4 rounds...and Jete was the best available.

FA SS available tonight...
Alex Gonzalez (Mil)
Marco Scutaro
Jed Lowrie
Yunel Escobar

Padres Fan wrote:and Yeonis is uncertain what type of player he will become, some have him a strictly power hitter as a negitive in average, others have about a .260 20hr 20sb type player though as well.

Yeah...late round flyer (17th round)...figured it was hard to lose that late...and if he blows up it is a huge win.

Padres Fan wrote:In pitching I like everyone except Nova (struggling to even make the team) and Hughes who seems he needs to leave NY to be even a decent SP.

I say this not just as a Yanks fan but a Hughes fan...you could not be more wrong. Hughes got his butt in gear this off season and came into camp in incredible shape. Everyone from Girardi to Russell and from the ESPN yankee haters to the bloggers are all saying he looks great and the difference is night and day compared to last year. I don't think he will win 18...but will be shocked if he does not win 12+ games...with the real chance to get back to 2010 form. He will not be leaving NY...Joba before blowing his elbow out on the other hand...fit that to a tee (can't believe I am saying that :-X )

Padres Fan wrote:Also Myers is a gamble at RP but could suprise.

picked him up off waivers once he was declared the closer...figured a good grab until something better came along.
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tonic889 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:41 pm

I think you are set with pitching but I would look at upgrading 3B. Sorry I am not sold on A-Rod in this system. I think guys like Sandoval, Encarnacion, or Valencia would be an upgrade.

What do you think about my team?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=441894
tonic889
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby slomojo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:16 am

TruYankeeFan wrote:So Sorry Guys! But I need your help again...I tried this 2 weeks ago...but gave you bad info on my scoring and figured that probably skewed the advice.

Ok...so I joined this league last minute, as I had always wanted to play Fantasy Baseball (HUGE Fantasy Football Fan...run my own league very year).

I figured have pretty decent knowledge of the game...and as it is my first year and the time constraints, I did not take as seriously as I do football each year....and now realize I should have taken a bit of a closer look before drafting.

While I will enjoy playing even if I am the worst team in the league (which I am fairly certain I won't be)...I do want to try and help myself as much as possible before the season starts and over the first several weeks...as I assume most of the best waiver pickups will be in that period as it is with Football. This is where I need your help!

Also, it seems that we literally go head to head in each category with no points...and either win, lose or tie (w/5 points each)...I thought it was a points league (lol...I know stupid). That in and of itself would not completely screw up a draft...but I also did not consider the interesting change to stat categories until the day of the draft...and had to wing it.

Instead of the standard scoring...our community (several leagues all going by the same scoring rules) used some very stat oriented categories. Here is our scoring vs standard....

Hitting:
Std: H, HR, RBI, AVG, SB
Ours: R, TB, RBI, OBP, NSB (Net Stolen Bases)

Pitching
Std: W, SV, Ks, ERA, WHIP
Ours: IP, SV, Ks, ERA, WHIP

As you can see...pitching is not too different...and I never would have drafted by wins anyway...to subjective...so I did ok with pitching...offense I am not so sure.

So here we go...given the oddities of my league...please do your best to analyze my team and help me find me biggest weaknesses.

Roster:
C- Mike Napoli
1B - Prince Fielder
2B - Rickie Weeks
SS - Derek Jeter
3B - Arod
OF - Brett Gardner
OF - Melky Cabrera
OF - Peter Bourjols
UT - Yoenis Cespedes
BN - Carl Crawford
BN - Alfonso Soriano
BN - Kelly Johnson
BN - JD Martinez (he looks to be a HUGE sleeper in this scoring system)

SP - Clayton Kershaw
SP - Cole Hamels
RP - Brandon League
RP - John Axford
P - James Shields
P - Chris Carpenter
P - Ivan Nova
P - Phil Hughes
BN - Brett Myers

I know I have some real gambles and way too many Yanks...but I followed the best value available during the draft, and guys like Jeter and Arod came to me later than most drafts...and Hughes and Nova were late pickups. Further, I am confident both Hughes and ARod will have comeback years from all I have read about both their off seasons and ST news.

I am know I have some injury concerns in Weeks and Carpenter, and maybe a little too much optimism in my bench and late round picks (gambles)....but I don't think I did horribly.

what do you think? Can you offer any advice? or do you think my team is set for Opening Day?

Thanks Again...and post a link and I will help in return.

;-D

Unfortunately, I'm not high on A-Rod or Jeter. They are only getting older. In my opinion, I probably wouldn't have paid the price it took to get Napoli, because I'm happy with any of the 5-6 top catchers off the board. But Carl Crawford is in line for a bounce back year in my opinion, and I like Cole Hamels in his contract year.

Help me out when you get a chance:

viewtopic.php?t=441898
slomojo
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby TruYankeeFan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:31 am

tonic889 wrote:I think you are set with pitching but I would look at upgrading 3B. Sorry I am not sold on A-Rod in this system. I think guys like Sandoval, Encarnacion, or Valencia would be an upgrade.

What do you think about my team?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=441894

See...while I do not expect Texas Era Arod...I think he will surprise a lot of people this year. Between this new age knee procedure Kobe recommended and the new fitness program with Dr Clark (look him up and what he did with the Phoenix Suns and and Grant Hill, Shaq and Nash among others) who identified the cause of his knee and hip problems as well as the source of the impingement in his swing...then rebuilt Arods regimen to fix those issues and strengthen not just the core...but those weaknesses so that the problems will not return and if Dr Clarks NBA record translates (imagine what Arod can do if he has a comeback like Grant Hill did with the suns (resurrected his career after 4 or 5 years of constant injury and missed games...not Hill is a freakin Iron Man).

So not only should Arod be healthy enough to play 140+ barring unforeseen accidents...I expect him to be back near .300 25 HRs 15SB 90+runs 100+ RBI.

But if I am wrong...it does not matter...the best catchers left for this system as FA...are Scott Rolen, Placido Polanco, Jed Lowrie, Jimmy Paredes, Pedro Alverez, Chipper Jones, Chase Headley, Alberto Callaspo. I don't see that much of a difference in them...but I am keeping an eye on the situation as there are some guys there who could break out and be worth the spot on my bench or more.

Thanks!
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TruYankeeFan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:39 am

slomojo wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm not high on A-Rod or Jeter. They are only getting older. In my opinion, I probably wouldn't have paid the price it took to get Napoli, because I'm happy with any of the 5-6 top catchers off the board. But Carl Crawford is in line for a bounce back year in my opinion, and I like Cole Hamels in his contract year.

Help me out when you get a chance:

viewtopic.php?t=441898

Addressed Arod above...I expected the comments on him...as what he has done is not front page everywhere...and even then...He is Arod and so easy to hate. LOL

Addressed The Captain above...Again expected the comment s on Jeter...and I also realize I am really hoping he does not fall off the cliff this year. But nothing I could do...and you did not make any suggestions from the available FA SS...so I assume you agree that I am just sorta hoping he does not fall apart on me this year.

Napoli was a little bit of a panic pick...and I have questioned it since I made it. But I did not overpay too badly. Got him in the 5th round...and he is typically going in the 4th.

I really hope they keep him at DH a lot this year...but if he wears down or gets hurt there are several decent FA Catchers ...Nick Hundley, Saltalamacchia, Pierzynski, Suzuki, Martin, Olivo, Barajas....Not much difference between them IMO.

Thanks
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mzkp54 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Don't have much to add. Not high on Jeter or rodriguez at all, but you've addressed that already.

Team looks fine overall though.

Thanks for the help
mzkp54
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team