stephen strasburg - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

stephen strasburg

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: stephen strasburg

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:39 pm

couldn't they have skipped a start here and either have him throw a simulated game or a bullpen session when he would usually start. using any number of IP is ridiculous though as there are stress IP and easy IP, and they aren't the same thing. you could have an easy pitched game without any stress and throw 100 pitches through what 7-8 innings. or you could get lit up throwing 20-30 pitches and inning for 3-4 innings.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5000
(Past Year: 103)
Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: stephen strasburg

Postby Element » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:49 pm

If it were me I would've started his spring training a month later than everyone else.
Image
Element
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4907
(Past Year: 789)
Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: stephen strasburg

Postby benb18a » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:08 pm

Hopefully teams learn from this abomination. Watch, the Nats make it far in the postseason only to get outpitched. I mean I like their chances next year, and most people (including this forum) didn't give the Nats credit for being a playoff team before this season started, but you don't put yourself in a position where you are going to take away your best player for the end of the year. They just have too much to lose. In the postseason, there is nothing more important than a frontline starter.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 771
Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: stephen strasburg

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:56 am

lastingsgriller wrote:Hindsight is a pretty bad basis for an argument. They had no idea that he would be THIS effective coming off TJ surgery, nor did they know that they would be the best team in the NL at this point. If they knew those things, I'm sure he wouldn't have pitched in April/May. But, of course, who's to say that they would be in the position they are in now if he hadn't pitched the whole season.

It's not hindsight, it's lack of foresight. Find a possible outcome that makes you say "it's a good idea to let him start throwing in March". I can't think of one. If they're gonna shut him down anyway, why does it matter where his 5 months of pitching occur? Of course the reasonable thing to do is not shut him down, and accept the fact that his chances of getting re-injured in 2013 are the same regardless of how much he pitches this year. But at least if they shut him down they can say "Sorry Mr Boras, we tried. Hey fans... don't blame us. We shut him down. Not my fault!".

I just wish there was a tiny shred of evidence that shutting a pitcher down helps him. I've never seen any. None. Just theories, but never facts.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3079
(Past Year: 174)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: stephen strasburg

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:02 am

Skin Blues wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:Hindsight is a pretty bad basis for an argument. They had no idea that he would be THIS effective coming off TJ surgery, nor did they know that they would be the best team in the NL at this point. If they knew those things, I'm sure he wouldn't have pitched in April/May. But, of course, who's to say that they would be in the position they are in now if he hadn't pitched the whole season.

It's not hindsight, it's lack of foresight. Find a possible outcome that makes you say "it's a good idea to let him start throwing in March". I can't think of one. If they're gonna shut him down anyway, why does it matter where his 5 months of pitching occur? Of course the reasonable thing to do is not shut him down, and accept the fact that his chances of getting re-injured in 2013 are the same regardless of how much he pitches this year. But at least if they shut him down they can say "Sorry Mr Boras, we tried. Hey fans... don't blame us. We shut him down. Not my fault!".

I just wish there was a tiny shred of evidence that shutting a pitcher down helps him. I've never seen any. None. Just theories, but never facts.


Yeah, I can't emphasize enough the lack of foresight. No matter who you are, you should have some shred of confidence that your team will be good enough to be in a race for the postseason. What does it say to the fans that you were this ill prepared for the post season? Either you're just dumb or you assumed you would be way out of it by this time of year,
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3541
(Past Year: 32)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

stephen strasburg

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:17 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:Hindsight is a pretty bad basis for an argument. They had no idea that he would be THIS effective coming off TJ surgery, nor did they know that they would be the best team in the NL at this point. If they knew those things, I'm sure he wouldn't have pitched in April/May. But, of course, who's to say that they would be in the position they are in now if he hadn't pitched the whole season.

It's not hindsight, it's lack of foresight. Find a possible outcome that makes you say "it's a good idea to let him start throwing in March". I can't think of one. If they're gonna shut him down anyway, why does it matter where his 5 months of pitching occur? Of course the reasonable thing to do is not shut him down, and accept the fact that his chances of getting re-injured in 2013 are the same regardless of how much he pitches this year. But at least if they shut him down they can say "Sorry Mr Boras, we tried. Hey fans... don't blame us. We shut him down. Not my fault!".

I just wish there was a tiny shred of evidence that shutting a pitcher down helps him. I've never seen any. None. Just theories, but never facts.


Yeah, I can't emphasize enough the lack of foresight. No matter who you are, you should have some shred of confidence that your team will be good enough to be in a race for the postseason. What does it say to the fans that you were this ill prepared for the post season? Either you're just dumb or you assumed you would be way out of it by this time of year,


Maybe they had the foresight to know that they wouldn't be in the position they're in now if he hadn't been pitching the whole season.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3869
(Past Year: 182)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: stephen strasburg

Postby benb18a » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:25 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:It's not hindsight, it's lack of foresight. Find a possible outcome that makes you say "it's a good idea to let him start throwing in March". I can't think of one. If they're gonna shut him down anyway, why does it matter where his 5 months of pitching occur? Of course the reasonable thing to do is not shut him down, and accept the fact that his chances of getting re-injured in 2013 are the same regardless of how much he pitches this year. But at least if they shut him down they can say "Sorry Mr Boras, we tried. Hey fans... don't blame us. We shut him down. Not my fault!".

I just wish there was a tiny shred of evidence that shutting a pitcher down helps him. I've never seen any. None. Just theories, but never facts.


Yeah, I can't emphasize enough the lack of foresight. No matter who you are, you should have some shred of confidence that your team will be good enough to be in a race for the postseason. What does it say to the fans that you were this ill prepared for the post season? Either you're just dumb or you assumed you would be way out of it by this time of year,


Maybe they had the foresight to know that they wouldn't be in the position they're in now if he hadn't been pitching the whole season.


Actually, they'd still be in first place if you take his 3.0 WAR out of the equation.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 771
Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: stephen strasburg

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:30 pm

benb18a wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Yeah, I can't emphasize enough the lack of foresight. No matter who you are, you should have some shred of confidence that your team will be good enough to be in a race for the postseason. What does it say to the fans that you were this ill prepared for the post season? Either you're just dumb or you assumed you would be way out of it by this time of year,


Maybe they had the foresight to know that they wouldn't be in the position they're in now if he hadn't been pitching the whole season.


Actually, they'd still be in first place if you take his 3.0 WAR out of the equation.


sure, I bet they would have 3 less wins they had chien-ming wang pitching all year instead of Stephen Strasburg. and if that is the case, why is everybody so up in arms about whether he keeps pitching or not? good point, though.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3869
(Past Year: 182)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: stephen strasburg

Postby benb18a » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:48 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
benb18a wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
Maybe they had the foresight to know that they wouldn't be in the position they're in now if he hadn't been pitching the whole season.


Actually, they'd still be in first place if you take his 3.0 WAR out of the equation.


sure, I bet they would have 3 less wins they had chien-ming wang pitching all year instead of Stephen Strasburg. and if that is the case, why is everybody so up in arms about whether he keeps pitching or not? good point, though.


Lollerskates. My point is, they're 7.5 games up over the WC1 team, and have the best record in the MLB. It's not as if they would have been in fourth place if Stras had sat the first month or two. That's my point.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 771
Joined: 12 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: stephen strasburg

Postby ayebatter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:06 pm

It's called fill the seats as best you can from the get-go, and the Strasburg situation is not a problem 'till it's a problem, and who would have expected this would be a problem. :^
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 12143
(Past Year: 1446)
Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: I CAN SEE FOR MILES

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Seattle at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Texas at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Colorado at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
LA Angels at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Francisco at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Kansas City at Oakland
(9:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Chi Cubs at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Atlanta at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact