stephen strasburg - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

stephen strasburg

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: stephen strasburg

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:39 pm

couldn't they have skipped a start here and either have him throw a simulated game or a bullpen session when he would usually start. using any number of IP is ridiculous though as there are stress IP and easy IP, and they aren't the same thing. you could have an easy pitched game without any stress and throw 100 pitches through what 7-8 innings. or you could get lit up throwing 20-30 pitches and inning for 3-4 innings.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 103)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Element » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:49 pm

If it were me I would've started his spring training a month later than everyone else.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 789)

Postby benb18a » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:08 pm

Hopefully teams learn from this abomination. Watch, the Nats make it far in the postseason only to get outpitched. I mean I like their chances next year, and most people (including this forum) didn't give the Nats credit for being a playoff team before this season started, but you don't put yourself in a position where you are going to take away your best player for the end of the year. They just have too much to lose. In the postseason, there is nothing more important than a frontline starter.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:56 am

lastingsgriller wrote:Hindsight is a pretty bad basis for an argument. They had no idea that he would be THIS effective coming off TJ surgery, nor did they know that they would be the best team in the NL at this point. If they knew those things, I'm sure he wouldn't have pitched in April/May. But, of course, who's to say that they would be in the position they are in now if he hadn't pitched the whole season.

It's not hindsight, it's lack of foresight. Find a possible outcome that makes you say "it's a good idea to let him start throwing in March". I can't think of one. If they're gonna shut him down anyway, why does it matter where his 5 months of pitching occur? Of course the reasonable thing to do is not shut him down, and accept the fact that his chances of getting re-injured in 2013 are the same regardless of how much he pitches this year. But at least if they shut him down they can say "Sorry Mr Boras, we tried. Hey fans... don't blame us. We shut him down. Not my fault!".

I just wish there was a tiny shred of evidence that shutting a pitcher down helps him. I've never seen any. None. Just theories, but never facts.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 174)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:02 am

Skin Blues wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:Hindsight is a pretty bad basis for an argument. They had no idea that he would be THIS effective coming off TJ surgery, nor did they know that they would be the best team in the NL at this point. If they knew those things, I'm sure he wouldn't have pitched in April/May. But, of course, who's to say that they would be in the position they are in now if he hadn't pitched the whole season.

It's not hindsight, it's lack of foresight. Find a possible outcome that makes you say "it's a good idea to let him start throwing in March". I can't think of one. If they're gonna shut him down anyway, why does it matter where his 5 months of pitching occur? Of course the reasonable thing to do is not shut him down, and accept the fact that his chances of getting re-injured in 2013 are the same regardless of how much he pitches this year. But at least if they shut him down they can say "Sorry Mr Boras, we tried. Hey fans... don't blame us. We shut him down. Not my fault!".

I just wish there was a tiny shred of evidence that shutting a pitcher down helps him. I've never seen any. None. Just theories, but never facts.

Yeah, I can't emphasize enough the lack of foresight. No matter who you are, you should have some shred of confidence that your team will be good enough to be in a race for the postseason. What does it say to the fans that you were this ill prepared for the post season? Either you're just dumb or you assumed you would be way out of it by this time of year,

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)

stephen strasburg

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:17 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:

Yeah, I can't emphasize enough the lack of foresight. No matter who you are, you should have some shred of confidence that your team will be good enough to be in a race for the postseason. What does it say to the fans that you were this ill prepared for the post season? Either you're just dumb or you assumed you would be way out of it by this time of year,

Maybe they had the foresight to know that they wouldn't be in the position they're in now if he hadn't been pitching the whole season.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby benb18a » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:25 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:It's not hindsight, it's lack of foresight. Find a possible outcome that makes you say "it's a good idea to let him start throwing in March". I can't think of one. If they're gonna shut him down anyway, why does it matter where his 5 months of pitching occur? Of course the reasonable thing to do is not shut him down, and accept the fact that his chances of getting re-injured in 2013 are the same regardless of how much he pitches this year. But at least if they shut him down they can say "Sorry Mr Boras, we tried. Hey fans... don't blame us. We shut him down. Not my fault!".

Maybe they had the foresight to know that they wouldn't be in the position they're in now if he hadn't been pitching the whole season.

Actually, they'd still be in first place if you take his 3.0 WAR out of the equation.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki

benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:30 pm

benb18a wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

Actually, they'd still be in first place if you take his 3.0 WAR out of the equation.

sure, I bet they would have 3 less wins they had chien-ming wang pitching all year instead of Stephen Strasburg. and if that is the case, why is everybody so up in arms about whether he keeps pitching or not? good point, though.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby benb18a » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:48 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
benb18a wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

sure, I bet they would have 3 less wins they had chien-ming wang pitching all year instead of Stephen Strasburg. and if that is the case, why is everybody so up in arms about whether he keeps pitching or not? good point, though.

Lollerskates. My point is, they're 7.5 games up over the WC1 team, and have the best record in the MLB. It's not as if they would have been in fourth place if Stras had sat the first month or two. That's my point.

benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ayebatter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:06 pm

It's called fill the seats as best you can from the get-go, and the Strasburg situation is not a problem 'till it's a problem, and who would have expected this would be a problem. :^
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1446)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers