stephen strasburg - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

stephen strasburg

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: stephen strasburg

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:57 pm

He'd be at 160 IP if he skipped April and pitched the rest of the season. More than enough to pitch a full season in 2013 according to the pseudoscience theyr'e using. If they miss the playoffs and they want him to throw more than 160 innings, it's pretty easy to have him pitch in the Arizona Fall League (starts immediately after the regular season finishes) to rack up extra innings. The idea that intentially putting additional innings onto a pitcher's arm will make him healthier is another ridiculous notion, but I digress.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:44 am

Skin Blues wrote:He'd be at 160 IP if he skipped April and pitched the rest of the season. More than enough to pitch a full season in 2013 according to the pseudoscience theyr'e using. If they miss the playoffs and they want him to throw more than 160 innings, it's pretty easy to have him pitch in the Arizona Fall League (starts immediately after the regular season finishes) to rack up extra innings. The idea that intentially putting additional innings onto a pitcher's arm will make him healthier is another ridiculous notion, but I digress.

What if he would've missed 15 days or a month during the season, then he'd be at what, 130-140 innings ptiched for the season? Then you'd be in the exact same problem next year. And no, if they are being super-cautious with him, they can't just pitch him in the AFL, that cuts down the offseason time which is something he needs for his arm to recover.

Given the Nationals' imposed rules (180 IP, full off-season of recovery), the solution they chose was definitley the best one for the long-term health of Strasburg. Whether or not those rules actually make any sense is fully debatable...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Re: Re: stephen strasburg

Postby wrveres » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:41 am

ayebatter wrote:I gotta admit, after reading this drivel, I'm now rooting for the Nats to have a total collapse and fall completely out of the playoffs. :-°

Same.

Lol @ Bleacher Report
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:41 pm

He's officially being shut down after pitching 159.1 IP. I'd post a link but I'm on my phone.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby benb18a » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:04 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1326 ... 012-season

The questions about when the Washington Nationals would shut down their star pitcher Stephen Strasburg were answered by manager Davey Johnson on Saturday morning.

After recovering from Tommy John surgery that put him on an innings count and would ultimately decide when his season was over to ensure no further damage to the elbow, Strasburg returned to elite form for most of 2012.

The Nationals ace has managed an impressive 15-6 record this season with an even more impressive ERA of 3.16, but Strasburg was forced out of the team’s last game after letting up five runs in three innings.

While some took this as a sign that the organization would further the innings count for the young star, it solidified the club’s decision to stop the season where it was and allow Strasburg ample time to rest his arm and get ready for 2013.

The Nationals are in the midst of a push for the postseason, but the organization is doing the right thing for their young star by shutting him down for the remainder of the season.

Washington will be better off having the star healthy over the next 10 years instead of pushing its luck and ruining the young man’s career.

1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:48 pm

I feel like this guy wrote exactly what I think of this situation. Not exactly concise but makes a lot of good points.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/836 ... g-too-soon
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:39 pm

That article is irresponsibly awful, just a shame for all of journalism which already has a terrible reputation at this point. He was never at any point on an innings limit, they have always said they were going to play it by ear and watch for signs of fatigue and that is exactly what they did. Strasburg has noticably been a worse pitcher the entire 2nd half and most important the past 5 starts or so, he is very obviously fatiguing and it was a no brainer to shut him down at this point. They could have done all kinds of goofy strategies to preserve him during the season but none of them are sure fire things and the reality is the Nationals are not as good as their record, they had half of their team play to career highs and almost nobody play before expectations and you simply cannot predict the next 2005 White Sox which is basically what they were this year. The Nats were not good enough to assume that they could limit their best pitcher and still expect to make the playoffs.

Most of the Strasburg commentary is by irresponsible terrible journalists, very little of it has any merit to it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:06 am

Maybe you should write an article so we can have some TRUTH out there, haha :-b

Actions speak louder than words. Zimm and Strasburg were both on 160 IP limits. WHY? Who knows. They can dress it up if they want, but it was plain and simple, and exactly as everybody expected from the get-go. 6 months of media insanity twisted the story all around but the Natinals barely said a peep about actual limits of any kind. That was also a minor part of the article which explored injury history and overuse, how the "Verducci Effect" of innings increases year-to-year are bogus, how players coming back from TJS are not increasingly vulnerable to reinjury, how limiting pitch counts per game is a more important factor than total pitches or innings in a season, etc. But yes... this article is the scourge of journalism because Ender says so :-D
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:29 am

Sorry skin blues, my wife works in news management so I have a bit of a personal bias against poorly written articles like this. Didn't mean to offend you by pointing out how terribly written this is.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby benb18a » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:43 am

My uncle is the POTUS. BRB, gonna go hand in my resume to some third world country bereft of a prime minister/dictator/president. :-b
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers