New to Keeper league - Need Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

New to Keeper league - Need Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to Keeper league - Need Advice

Postby nookiewacookie1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:19 pm

Hey everyone. Thanks in advanced!!!!

So I am in a 3 year league with some friends and we have decided to make it a partial keeper league. While my "verbage" might not be correct throughout, I hope you can share some advice and ideas.

So my question is, Who should I keep and should i keep all 4, or 3/ 2, and take my chances.

It is a mixed league with 12 teams. It is a Snake draft format where we can keep up to 4 players but do not have to keep all 4.

It is H2H with scoreing format as such:
Batting: AVG, R, SB, BB, HR, RBI, K
Pitching: ERA, WHIP, K, W, L, QS, S

we have the standard pro linupe with a utility spot and no DH for offense and 3 P spots, 2 SP spots, and 2 RP spots.

remember I can only keep 4:
C - Alex Avila
1b - Miguel Cabrera - Keeping
2B - Ian Kinsler
3B - Alex Rodriguez
SS - Alex Gonzalez
OF - Jay Bruce
OF - Michael Morse
OF - Corey Hart
Util- Billy Butler
Bench - Andre Eithier
Bench - Dexter Fowler

Before you all go crazy about my pitching, we have unlimited add drop so I stream pitchers and nullify the pitching stats with exception of saves so this is very important. (I won last year with this method)- I can give more info if your curious.

Pitchers:
Carlos Marmol
Rickey Romero
Ricky Nolasco
Jordan Walden
Jim Johnson
Jaime Garcia
Brandon Beachy
Fransisco Cordero
Joakim Soria
Grant Balfour

Let me hear your opinions... Thanks so much!
Last edited by nookiewacookie1 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nookiewacookie1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New to Keeper league - Need Advice

Postby Beeblebrox » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:28 pm

I'd keep Miggy, Kinsler, and Bruce for sure.

I guess your 4th keeper would be Morse, but that depends on if you think having the supplemental pick would be more valuable. Take a good look at the other rosters in the league and see if you can get a good idea of who the other guys in your league will be keeping, and there's better talent available than Morse (I'm suspecting there will be) then just go with those 3 and take the extra pick.
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Element » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:31 pm

1b - Miguel Cabrera
2B - Ian Kinsler
3B - Alex Rodriguez
OF - Jay Bruce

You could keep Morse over A-Rod ... especially since MCab is likely to gain 3B eligibility, but I went with A-Rod because you're only starting 3 OF spots.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby nookiewacookie1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:47 pm

with how valuable Closers are and that there are no current starting closers or backups available in the pool (some will have to be dropped however)... i shouldn't keep one of them?
nookiewacookie1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Element » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:03 pm

I'm guessing that you probably picked Walden and Johnson up off of the wire last season. If that's the case, then what's the harm in trying to do something like that again? Soria burned you, but Cordero was a nice latter tier closer option for you as well. I would target those types & after they're gone if you still have roster space look to setup guys that may end up with a closer's job (Crain, Pestano, etc).
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby Beeblebrox » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

nookiewacookie1 wrote:with how valuable Closers are and that there are no current starting closers or backups available in the pool (some will have to be dropped however)... i shouldn't keep one of them?

You list your pitching categories as -- ERA, WHIP, K, W, L, QS

If that's the case, I don't see any real value in closers. I mean, what exactly do they do here, other than have a minimal impact on your rate stats (ERA/WHIP)?

Moreover, closers are by far the most volatile of all positions. Even Mariano, arguably the best to play the position, isn't a lock to be among the top 5 closers in any given year.
Beeblebrox
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby nookiewacookie1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
nookiewacookie1 wrote:with how valuable Closers are and that there are no current starting closers or backups available in the pool (some will have to be dropped however)... i shouldn't keep one of them?

You list your pitching categories as -- ERA, WHIP, K, W, L, QS

If that's the case, I don't see any real value in closers. I mean, what exactly do they do here, other than have a minimal impact on your rate stats (ERA/WHIP)?

Moreover, closers are by far the most volatile of all positions. Even Mariano, arguably the best to play the position, isn't a lock to be among the top 5 closers in any given year.

My mistake!!! I missed the Save category....
nookiewacookie1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions